Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What is your craziest pack pull in all your collecting days?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raddison1972

Jan 4, 2013
Pearland, Texas
The year was 2004, well more like 2005 as Bowman Heritage was released very late in the year. I've always collected 1955 Bowman and well I went nuts to say the least. Bought up nearly all blasters and hobby boxes I could locate in the greater Houston area.

So, I'll share the two craziest things, one hobby box had cut pieces from the edges of the cards in every pack. It's the wood grain part in lengths up to the width of the card and about 1/8" thick. There was enough to puzzle piece together nearly a full card of only the edge print. That was pretty crazy and well kinda cool since I really enjoyed these cards!

The other crazy thing from that year was opening a pack to find a treasured mahogany card I was after. It was a Torii Hunter, nothing major, but still exciting, so I flip the card to check the serial number and in that quick moment my brain goes, this card seems thicker than normal. The back says, "Ken Griffey Jr." and my brain freezes until I realize it's stuck to the back of the Hunter card! I pop it free and realize the Griffey Jr. was along for the coolest ride I've ever opened in a pack before or since.

Thanks for reading and please share your great collecting memories of pack opening!

rickeyfanatic

Aug 15, 2008
MA
2005 Prime Patch box, got a dual button Jim Edmonds /4. Was the coolest looking card, and my cousin was a huge Edmonds fan, so it was pretty awesome to see it go to a good home.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
2004 sp patch, i had two tins.
Bernie williams auto patch/50
hideki matsui notable nick names "godzilla" auto patch:cool:

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I’ve pulled a bunch of sick cards from packs as an adult, but I think my favorite one was when I was 10 in 1993 and pulled a Topps Black Gold basketball set redemption and my parents actually let me redeem it. It actually cost money to redeem cards back then, and we were very poor, so actually getting them to do that for me was a big deal.

ckcsportoutdoor

Sep 14, 2017
The only box of Gold Label I’ve ever opened I picked up in a comic/collectible shop I stopped at somewhere between ocala and Orlando...I was working in the area and I try to go to as many lcs as I can when I’m in an area working as long as they aren’t more than a couple hours out of my way...the shop didn’t have a lot of newer releases so I settled on the gold label which, since I was just getting back into the hobby I didn’t know much about...I decided to rip it while I was there and at the time I was all about Kris Bryant and he was pretty got to boot...picked up a pack and it was heavy...the framed auto...I didn’t have a clue that the black frame was good I figured it was the base but when I saw it, KB/25...my first sp Auto of a big boy even if it wasn’t the greatest product ever...but the pack wasnt finished...stuck to the back of it was a Kershaw Redemption!! Pretty solid box :). Still have the bryant in my PC :)
41c5591e5f23453364333fe79b375739.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
I'm not a hockey guy. But I just liked the idea of the 2003-04 Parkhurst Original Six Hockey Boston Bruins. I pulled a Bobby Orr GU sweater patch. It looks like a little bit of blood on it. I gave away the completed base set a few months ago. But will always keep that Orr card.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
Back in 1992 when Topps Gold was new, I bought a couple packs at a flea market one weekend. I was so hyped about possibly pulling a Brien Taylor RC (I lived about 30min from his hometown in NC).

After the 3rd pack, I figured it'd be a bust when I moved onto my last pack. Well, after the 4th card in the final pack, there it was staring back at me: a Brien Taylor RC. I was excited just at that but then my 6th card in the pack was even better: a Nolan Ryan Topps Gold card.

Best day of my life (I was 11 after all). Luckily, one of those cards held their value over the years.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
1968 Topps Nolan Ryan. The local dime and drug stores ( there were about 10 in a mile radius of where I lived) would blast packs out at the end of the season for a penny a pack. Bought the packs for the gum. Cases of them. I would say about 100 or better Ryan's ended up in my bike spokes. I lived in Chicago and hated the Mets.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Used to get beat up boxes of cards from a dist at a discount and was asked if I wanted any 2007 bowman chrome when it arrived.

Said I'd take a few and then was asked what if I I get a beat up joba auto?

I said I would just send back to topps and would love for that to happen.

When it arrived, the first pack I opened I got an xfractor joba auto.....beat up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Here's another.

Opened a 2005 bowman draft pack and on the bottom was a bowman mccutchen rc.

Also in the same pack were a bowman gold and a gold Refractor of mccutchen.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
It was 2 for me
once I went to my local shop to get supplies and Saw they had one pack of topps sitting on the shelf. I said throw it in. I will finish it for you. I pulled this:
MAYS, WILLIE.JPG
The second I went to my local shop and got one pack and pulled this:
PRESLEY, ELVIS.JPG
Then on my way home I stopped at target and got the retail pack and pulled this:
MONROE, MARILYN.JPG

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
I helped out a card shop doing shipping and on-store auctions and instead of getting paid I would get more in store credit. I was in college and already had a job so getting store credit funded my card habit. This was in 1998 and it was a snowy afternoon and it was slow. I had been staring at the 79-80 OPC Hockey pack box behind the locked display case for a while. They were $60 a pack! I asked how much store credit I had left that week and I had plenty. So I said l want to open pack by pack to try for a Gretzky RC...2nd pack in BOOM! We were all excited in the shop. Great times. I still have it and got it graded as well.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
My favorite pull is still the 1993 BBM Hideo Nomo card Topps put into boxes of 1998 Bowman. I still own the card.

Most valuable is the Juan Soto Red Ink auto I just pulled out of 2019 Heritage. It's a redemption, and I haven't decided what to do with it. I'm 99% sure they'll be signed, but I always worry. I think I'm 1/2 or 2/3 with Topps redemptions.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Not me, but a lady in one of the FB groups opened a lunch box of Retro last year and pulled two Griffey Quantum Leaps stuck together.

Members online