User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your craziest pack pull in all your collecting days?

raddison1972
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is your craziest pack pull in all your collecting days?

The year was 2004, well more like 2005 as Bowman Heritage was released very late in the year. I've always collected 1955 Bowman and well I went nuts to say the least. Bought up nearly all blasters and hobby boxes I could locate in the greater Houston area.

So, I'll share the two craziest things, one hobby box had cut pieces from the edges of the cards in every pack. It's the wood grain part in lengths up to the width of the card and about 1/8" thick. There was enough to puzzle piece together nearly a full card of only the edge print. That was pretty crazy and well kinda cool since I really enjoyed these cards!

The other crazy thing from that year was opening a pack to find a treasured mahogany card I was after. It was a Torii Hunter, nothing major, but still exciting, so I flip the card to check the serial number and in that quick moment my brain goes, this card seems thicker than normal. The back says, "Ken Griffey Jr." and my brain freezes until I realize it's stuck to the back of the Hunter card! I pop it free and realize the Griffey Jr. was along for the coolest ride I've ever opened in a pack before or since.

Thanks for reading and please share your great collecting memories of pack opening!

Pinbreaker
     pinbreaker
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you still have that Mahogany card?

It's one of those subtle inserts from that year..

raddison1972
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinbreaker View Post
    Do you still have that Mahogany card?

It's one of those subtle inserts from that year..
    Yes, sitting in the mahogany set binder, the MJ Roop binder they gave away in the issue.

Rickeyfanatic
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2005 Prime Patch box, got a dual button Jim Edmonds /4. Was the coolest looking card, and my cousin was a huge Edmonds fan, so it was pretty awesome to see it go to a good home.

nmusicp1
     @nmusicp
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2008 Triple Threads Platinum Relic “10 01 61” Roger Maris /1. Nicest card I’ve pulled and doubt it’ll ever leave my collection
    Will sell/trade soul for Washington Capitals/Atlanta Braves cards
    http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/nmusicp/library/

Current white whale:
    2014-15 Artifacts Stick to Stick Duos Alexander Ovechkin/Nicklas Backstrom

Looking for 18/19 SP Game Used Net Cords and 18/19 Upper Deck Day with the cup inserts

joey_baseball
     joey12524
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2004 sp patch, i had two tins.
    Bernie williams auto patch/50
    hideki matsui notable nick names "godzilla" auto patch

Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iíve pulled a bunch of sick cards from packs as an adult, but I think my favorite one was when I was 10 in 1993 and pulled a Topps Black Gold basketball set redemption and my parents actually let me redeem it. It actually cost money to redeem cards back then, and we were very poor, so actually getting them to do that for me was a big deal.

Resident Yadier Molina, and Pro Wrestling super fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only box of Gold Label Iíve ever opened I picked up in a comic/collectible shop I stopped at somewhere between ocala and Orlando...I was working in the area and I try to go to as many lcs as I can when Iím in an area working as long as they arenít more than a couple hours out of my way...the shop didnít have a lot of newer releases so I settled on the gold label which, since I was just getting back into the hobby I didnít know much about...I decided to rip it while I was there and at the time I was all about Kris Bryant and he was pretty got to boot...picked up a pack and it was heavy...the framed auto...I didnít have a clue that the black frame was good I figured it was the base but when I saw it, KB/25...my first sp Auto of a big boy even if it wasnít the greatest product ever...but the pack wasnt finished...stuck to the back of it was a Kershaw Redemption!! Pretty solid box . Still have the bryant in my PC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a hockey guy. But I just liked the idea of the 2003-04 Parkhurst Original Six Hockey Boston Bruins. I pulled a Bobby Orr GU sweater patch. It looks like a little bit of blood on it. I gave away the completed base set a few months ago. But will always keep that Orr card.
    Thank you Ralph.

RagingAcid
     @RagingAcid
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a first bowman Wilson Contreras auto, or maybe my profile picture

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in 1992 when Topps Gold was new, I bought a couple packs at a flea market one weekend. I was so hyped about possibly pulling a Brien Taylor RC (I lived about 30min from his hometown in NC).

After the 3rd pack, I figured it'd be a bust when I moved onto my last pack. Well, after the 4th card in the final pack, there it was staring back at me: a Brien Taylor RC. I was excited just at that but then my 6th card in the pack was even better: a Nolan Ryan Topps Gold card.

Best day of my life (I was 11 after all). Luckily, one of those cards held their value over the years.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1968 Topps Nolan Ryan. The local dime and drug stores ( there were about 10 in a mile radius of where I lived) would blast packs out at the end of the season for a penny a pack. Bought the packs for the gum. Cases of them. I would say about 100 or better Ryan's ended up in my bike spokes. I lived in Chicago and hated the Mets.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Used to get beat up boxes of cards from a dist at a discount and was asked if I wanted any 2007 bowman chrome when it arrived.

Said I'd take a few and then was asked what if I I get a beat up joba auto?

I said I would just send back to topps and would love for that to happen.

When it arrived, the first pack I opened I got an xfractor joba auto.....beat up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's another.

Opened a 2005 bowman draft pack and on the bottom was a bowman mccutchen rc.

Also in the same pack were a bowman gold and a gold Refractor of mccutchen.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was 2 for me
    once I went to my local shop to get supplies and Saw they had one pack of topps sitting on the shelf. I said throw it in. I will finish it for you. I pulled this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MAYS, WILLIE.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	87297
    The second I went to my local shop and got one pack and pulled this:

Name:	PRESLEY, ELVIS.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	133.4 KB 
ID:	87298
    Then on my way home I stopped at target and got the retail pack and pulled this:

Name:	MONROE, MARILYN.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	87299
    I collect Ken Griffey Jr, Ryan Howard, Steve Carlton and the rest of the Phillies.
    My Site:
    http://bradswebsite.synthasite.com/

Matthew 21:22
    "And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, believing, you shall recieve."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast