Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2019 Lumberjack Bingo: CLOSED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
[MENTION=5359]clarkzac[/MENTION], [MENTION=18372]RagingAcid[/MENTION], [MENTION=10415]caster513[/MENTION], [MENTION=2055]metallicalex777[/MENTION], [MENTION=4428]MrMet[/MENTION], @game****fanatic, [MENTION=2671]aarne13[/MENTION], [MENTION=3354]SportsWriterMAB[/MENTION], [MENTION=5808]nerdherd020[/MENTION], [MENTION=10181]CFD1415[/MENTION], [MENTION=4030]michaelstepper[/MENTION], [MENTION=5090]oiccup41[/MENTION], [MENTION=1815]chippernate[/MENTION], [MENTION=22997]Letch77[/MENTION], [MENTION=2477]Gwynn545[/MENTION], [MENTION=3662]WaxPax[/MENTION]

Your "trees" are at the bottom of this post.

We're still a few weeks out, but there's a bit of light reading to acquaint or reacquaint yourself with the game.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have. Good luck!

------------------------------

After a 3 year hiatus, Lumberjack Bingo is back!

If interested, please signup here:

2019 Lumberjack Bingo Signup Thread

OVERVIEW

Opening Day starts with the Japan Opening Series March 20-21 between Seattle and Oakland, but this game will begin March 28th and conclude no later than September 29th.

Race your fellow lumberjacks to clear branches (complete levels) and ultimately harvest your tree (complete all levels) based on actual MLB regular season games.

Branch Bounties (prizes) are available to the first lumberjack to clear a given branch without using a chainsaw.

The Timber! Bounty (grand prize) is available to the first lumberjack to harvest their entire tree before the end of the regular season.

If no one harvests their tree, a random tiebreaker will be introduced.

HOW TO PLAY

Each tree is 100% randomly generated, and is comprised of 12 branches (levels) and the trunk (final stage).

Branches consist of 1 to 7 scenarios. The trunk consists of 2 scenarios.

Each scenario features an outcome from the 2019 season. Simply find an exact match for each scenario to clear the branch/trunk.

If you are the first person to complete all objectives on a branch without using a chainsaw, you win the bounty for that branch! See the next section for details.

You must start with branch 1, and may only clear one branch at a time before moving down to the next branch.

Once a branch has been cleared, you may begin working on the next branch on the same day, but may not use an earlier date to clear it.

Unless otherwise specified, each scenario within a branch stands on its own and must be completed in a single game.

However, some branches require all scenarios to be completed in the same day. Those branches are clearly marked.

Please refer to the Tools of the Trade section below for important links to be used throughout the game.

CHAINSAWS

If you are having trouble clearing any of the 12 branches, you can ditch your axe in favor of a chainsaw for immediate completion.

No chainsaw is available for the trunk.

Each branch has 3 scenarios that will allow you to use your chainsaw.

These scenarios are located on the left side of your game card. A chainsaw may be used for a given branch if:

1. The first team shown hits 4 or more home runs in a single game or
2. The second team shown strikes out 18 or more opponents in a single game or
3. The specific date shown in the far right column is met.

If the 1st chainsaw is used, you have automatically cleared your current branch and may start working on the next branch the same day.

However, if the 2nd chainsaw is used, you have automatically cleared both your current branch and the following branch. You may then start working on the 2nd branch down from your current branch the same day.

***SUPER IMPORTANT NOTES***

1. Bounties cannot be claimed with a chainsaw. No shortcuts if you want the goods!
2. Bounties that remain unclaimed on the branch completion date expire and are permanently unavailable.
3. Once a chainsaw is used, that branch bounty is unavailable to everyone.
4. Even if you have met a chainsaw's conditions, you do not have to claim it. Because, well...see #3.

So, it's up to you if you want to sacrifice everyone's shot at a bounty if it gives you the advantage of additional time as you make your way toward a more desirable bounty or the trunk itself to win the game.

COMPLETING A BRANCH

If you complete a branch, please post your achievement in this thread, along with the date each scenario was completed or the chainsaw used.

It's very important to post your achievements; not only for others to verify if they'd like, but also to help me confirm a winner.

Otherwise, I'll post a reminder whenever possible when a branch's completion date (chainsaw #3) has been met so everyone can move on to the next branch.

HARVESTING YOUR TREE

Clearing the trunk is the final stage of the game before harvesting your tree.

Once you complete the objective shown in the trunk, congratulations! Your tree has been harvested. Please send me a PM with the date you completed the trunk.

The first to do so wins Lumberjack Bingo and the Timber! Bounty. See below.

BRANCH BOUNTIES

Each branch has a different tree related theme with a potential bounty associated with that theme. The bottom left corner of your card gives you an idea of what's at stake. Beware though! Any use of a chainsaw, either by yourself or your opponent, invalidates that branch bounty and renders it permanently unavailable to everyone.

TIMBER! BOUNTY

At the base of each tree is a random selection of 5 grand prizes. The winning lumberjack will send me a PM with their choice of two. One of those will be sent to the winner.

TOOLS OF THE TRADE

Please refer to the following links to help you clear branches and harvest your tree:

MLB.com is used to verify all box scores.

Daily Hit Leaders is used to clear branch 1.

Daily Save Leaders is used to clear branch 2.

Game Score is used to clear branch 3.

Bombs Away is used to verify the daily home run leaders if you have this scenario in branch 8.

Lights Out is used to help clear branch 1 or if you have this scenario in branch 8.

Baseball-Reference is used to verify season totals for individual players in branches 11 and 12 (homeruns, strikeouts, WAR, etc...). Simply type the players name in the search box and locate the 2019 stat needed. For branch 12 you can find their WAR by scrolling down to the section titled "Player Value--Batting" or "Player Value--Pitching". In that section, you'll see a column labelled "WAR".

CLOUD NINE

Look, up in the left corner! It's a bird, it's a plane...it's your bonus game. Cloud Nine plays independently from your tree. If all 9 of your players shown combine for exactly 9 hits in a single day, you may be a winner! The first to claim wins. *All players must be in action that day, and all games they play in must be counted (doubleheaders).

*The only exceptions for this are if a player is on the IL or is not on a MLB roster that day.

FAQ

1. What is the most important thing I need to know about playing Lumberjack Bingo?
The most important thing to remember is that each scenario must be an exact match to what is indicated, unless otherwise specified.

2. What is the 2nd most important thing I need to know about playing Lumberjack Bingo?
Easy. You are only playing one branch at a time. There are nearly 50 different scenarios to track between the tree itself and the Cloud Nine mini-game. Playing everything all at once would be overwhelming for even the most devoted seamhead. Instead, the game is broken down into very manageable sections. Also, I understand as much as the next guy that life takes priority. So, you are free to pop in and out of the game whenever time permits. You could even dabble with the first few branches in March/April, not return until September, and still have a chance to win the Timber! Bounty. It's a game for anyone, anytime.

3. What am I trying to accomplish with "Initial Reaction" in Branch 1?
This scenario features the initials of 6 major league batters and/or pitchers. To clear this branch, simply find the number of players required to meet the criteria shown in a single day. Simple as that.

4. What is "Game Score" in Branch 3?
Game Score is a numeric value developed by Bill James to assess a starting pitcher's overall performance.

For the initated, the formula is: 50 + (1*Outs) + (2*IP after the 4th) + (1*K) - (2*H) - (4*ER) - (2*Unearned Runs) - (1*BB).

For the uninitiated, it's a number. Higher is better than lower.

5. Okay, so Game Score is for starting pitchers. What if one of my teams plays a doubleheader? Can I count both toward my total?
In the event of a doubleheader, you may only use the higher of the two Game Scores for that team toward your overall combined total.

6. What do you mean by "Top Individual Batter" in Branch 7? The generally agreed best player on the team?
In Lumberjack Bingo, the Top Individual Batter refers to the player recording the single highest value in a single game for the scenario shown. Let's use the following scenario to illustrate:

Chi. White Sox
vs. Divisional Opp.
2+ Doubles

In order to cross this section off, you must have a White Sox batter record 2 or more doubles against an American League Central opponent (only Detroit, Kansas City, Cleveland, or Minnesota). However, if the scenario said "2 doubles", the single highest double total must be exactly 2, not 2 or more. Always look at the scenario carefully to see what is required before attempting to clear it.

7. Okay, I think I'm getting the hang of it. However, I have a "Lights Out" and/or "Bombs Away" scenario on Branch 8. Tell me more about that.
These scenarios refer to the entire league on a particular range of dates. Simply go to the appropriate link in the "Tools of the Trade" section above and find the combined number of home runs hit (Bombs Away) or number of pitchers who struck out 9+ batters (Lights Out) within the range of dates shown in your scenario.

8. Did I read the "Chainsaws" section right? I get no bounty for a branch when I use a chainsaw and I prevent everyone else from claiming it too? Seems harsh.
It is...and that's part of the strategy. If the theme of the branch bounty doesn't interest you, why waste your time trying to clear the branch traditionally when a chainsaw will clear it automatically (plus the possibility of skipping the next branch as well with the 2nd chainsaw)? On the other hand, you may endure a bit of mock backlash from an opponent who really had their heart set on winning a Jim Palmer bounty, only for you to steal that opportunity from them. The choice is yours.

Okay, enough rambling. Here are your trees!

If any questions come up whatsoever, please let me know. Good luck and I hope you enjoy the game!

Chris

TREES

1. clarkzac
2. RagingAcid
3. caster513
4. metallicalex777
5. MrMet
6. game****fanatic
7. aarne13
8. SportsWriterMAB
9. nerdherd020
10. CFD1415
11. michaelstepper
12. oiccup41
13. chippernate
14. Letch77
15. Gwynn545
16. WaxPax

ERROR CORRECTIONS

I came across the following errors after the game already started. Here's how they will be handled.

Branch 4: Team Pitching

The following cards have an unreasonably difficult outcome in the far right scenario on this branch.

Therefore, this scenario will be amended as follows:

Branch 5: "6 Earned Runs"
Branch 8: "6 Earned Runs"
Branch 10: "1-32 Batters Faced"
Branch 13: "1-32 Batters Faced"

Branch 7: Top Individual Batter

All cards show "5 strikeouts" in the far right scenario on this branch.

This scenario will be amended to "3+ Strikeouts" for all cards.

My apologies for the errors/oversight.

BOUNTIES

Branch 1: None (Chainsaw)
Branch 2: None (Chainsaw)
Branch 3: None (Chainsaw)
Branch 4: None (Chainsaw)
Branch 5: None (Chainsaw)
Branch 6: None (Chainsaw)
Branch 7: None (Chainsaw)
Branch 8: None (Chainsaw)
Branch 9: None (Chainsaw)
Branch 10: None (Chainsaw)
Branch 11: None (Chainsaw)
Branch 12: None (Chainsaw)
Timber!: MrMet (2019 Topps Pete Alonso 150th Anniversary RC Auto)
Cloud Nine 1: metallicalex777 (2016 Topps Trea Turner RC Auto)
Cloud Nine 2: WaxPax (2018 Topps Heritage Rhys Hoskins RC)
Cloud Nine 3: Letch77 (2017 Bowman’s Best Carlos Correa)
Cloud Nine 4: game****fanatic (2017 Topps Dynasty Corey Seager Auto Patch)

CURRENT BRANCH

1. clarkzac: 11, as of June 10
2. RagingAcid: 7, as of June 14
3. caster513: 7, as of June 14
4. metallicalex777: 7, as of June 9
5. MrMet: TRUNK COMPLETE AS OF JUNE 26. GRAND PRIZE WINNER.
6. game****fanatic: 8, as of June 4
7. aarne13: 10, as of June 24
8. SportsWriterMAB: 7, as of June 14
9. nerdherd020: 9, as of May 29
10. CFD1415: 7, as of June 14
11. michaelstepper: 7, as of June 14
12. oiccup41: 7, as of June 14
13. chippernate: Trunk, as of June 4
14. Letch77: Trunk, as of June 27
15. Gwynn545: 9, as of May 26
16. WaxPax: 10, as of June 29

Last edited:

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
Wow...this took a lot of work. Thank you, CJ! Let the games begin...may the odds be ever in your favor.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Awesome! 3+ SB by Australian born player in a home game on Thursday vs. Divisional Opponent... THAT'S going to be a challenge!! ;)
Thanks, [MENTION=3744]cjedmonton[/MENTION]! Always a fun game!

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
[MENTION=3744]cjedmonton[/MENTION] Not sure for Initial Reaction if the 3+ hits/8+ strikeouts is per player or combined. The FAQ states "To clear this branch, simply find the number of players required to meet the criteria shown in a single day. Simple as that."

I can see it as per player as it's consistent to have multiple players with 3+ hits in a game, but I can also see it as combined as I've never seen 8+ strikeouts for multiple players. If it is a combined total then I will list my results to claim Branch 1...

Branch 1: Claim bounty with 3+ players with 3+ hits or 8+ strikeouts in one day

T.T. (Trea Turner) with 2 Hits + N.M. (Nick Markakis) with 1 Hit + J.R. (JT Riddle) with 1 Hit + T.A. (Tim Anderson) with 1 Hit = 4 players with 5 Hits

No worries if I have this correct, this is already a TON of fun sifting through each and every game played!

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
Nevermind, found my answer :)

Glad to hear it!

To confirm for the others, it is per player, not combined.

For Branch 1, you are looking for 3 or more hitters who have a 3+ hit game, or 3 or more pitchers who strikeout 8+ hitters on the same day (or any combination of the two groups to equal 3 or more players).

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
[MENTION=3744]cjedmonton[/MENTION] Woohoo! I think I got the Cloud 9 Bingo for today’s date March 30th. All teams played and all players played in the game with the following hit totals:

Matt Carpenter - 0 hits
Randal Grichuk - 0 hits (came in for the pinch hit spot!)
Pete Alonzo - 3 hits
Eddie Rosario - 0 hits
Anthony Rizzo - 0 hits
Luke Voit - 1 hit
Rafael Devers - 2 hits
Eloy Jimenez - 2 hits
Trea Turner - 1 hit

Total hits: 9

Last edited:

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
I read the Cloud 9 rules as saying that each of your 9 players has to get 1 and only 1 hit in the same day. CJ, can you clarify for us?

Collecting ‘96 Select Certified Mirror Gold baseball. Let me know whatcha got for sale/trade!
Sent using Freedom Card Board mobile app

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
[MENTION=5359]clarkzac[/MENTION], [MENTION=18372]RagingAcid[/MENTION], [MENTION=10415]caster513[/MENTION], [MENTION=4428]MrMet[/MENTION], @game****fanatic, [MENTION=2671]aarne13[/MENTION], [MENTION=3354]SportsWriterMAB[/MENTION], [MENTION=5808]nerdherd020[/MENTION], [MENTION=10181]CFD1415[/MENTION], [MENTION=4030]michaelstepper[/MENTION], [MENTION=5090]oiccup41[/MENTION], [MENTION=1815]chippernate[/MENTION], [MENTION=2477]Gwynn545[/MENTION], [MENTION=3662]WaxPax[/MENTION]

[MENTION=2055]metallicalex777[/MENTION] wins the Cloud Nine mini-game! Please send me a PM with your shipping info and one of the 9 players in your cloud will be sent shortly.

[MENTION=22997]Letch77[/MENTION]
There is no 1 hit limit for each player in Cloud Nine, only that all 9 players are in action and combine for exactly 9 hits in a single day.

Sidenote: I see that the ESPN pitching Game Score results are still not showing up. If they still do not show by the end of Branch 2 (April 13th), I'll modify the Branch 3 rules to feature to top hitting Game Score for each club. Details to follow if it gets to that point.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
can the initials in branch 1 be used either way? for example I have
A.N. after an initial look at rosters I cannot find an A.N. can I use N.A.?

I actually only found players for 3 of my 6 sets of initials

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
can the initials in branch 1 be used either way? for example I have
A.N. after an initial look at rosters I cannot find an A.N. can I use N.A.?

Expanding on that question, what about players who go by two initials as a first name, such as J.D. Martinez? Does he count for J.M. and/or D.M. or strictly only J.M.?

Collecting ‘96 Select Certified Mirror Gold baseball. Let me know whatcha got for sale/trade!

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
2019 Lumberjack Bingo: Regular Season

So in the Cloud 9 game: it seems I never had a chance to win since I was stuck with Kyle Seager, who started the season on the DL after having hand surgery in mid-March.

Last edited:

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
[MENTION=4030]michaelstepper[/MENTION]

The initials can only be used in the order shown.

When building branch 1, I used last year's hit/strikeout leaders. Over 100 different sets of initials are included in the game. If you look at the 2018 leaders in these categories, that should help you identify some players.

[MENTION=22997]game****fanatic[/MENTION] has the right idea (Aaron Nola)

[MENTION=22997]Letch77[/MENTION]

Players who go by initials for their first name only use the first letter in branch 1.

So, for your J.D. Martinez example, you'd go with J.M.

For Cloud 9, Seager would not have factored in your total since he was injured. I know I said that all players must play, but I was referring to all active players.

Don't worry about missing out on Cloud 9. Since it was claimed so early in the season, I "may" re-open it again at some point.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts