Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Tom Seaver diagnosed with dementia. Will miss 50th Anniversary of '69 Miracle Mets celebration.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
ESPN -- Hall of Fame pitcher Tom Seaver has been diagnosed with dementia and will retire from public life, his family announced on Thursday.

In a statement released by the Hall of Fame, Seaver's family expressed thanks to those who have supported the New York Mets great throughout his career and asked for privacy.

Seaver, 74, helped propel the Miracle Mets of 1969 to a World Series title. The right-hander, known as "Tom Terrific," won the Cy Young Award that year and led the National League with 25 wins.

The Mets, who retired Seaver's No. 41 in 1988, are celebrating the 1969 team on June 29. They released a statement on Thursday saying they plan to honor Seaver, even though he will not be able to attend the ceremonies.

Ed Kranepool, Seaver's teammate on the 1969 Mets, told the Berger Record, "He always handled himself with dignity and class. My wife Monica and I have the Seavers in our prayers."

Ron Swoboda, another member of that team, said "Nobody competed like Tom Seaver. I was proud to be his teammate."

Seaver, the 1967 Rookie of the Year, was selected to the All-Star Game 12 times, led the league in strikeouts five times and won three Cy Young Awards. He finished his career with 311 wins and 3,640 strikeouts.

Seaver was a first-ballot Hall of Famer in 1992, receiving 98.8 percent of the vote, which was the highest ever until Ken Griffey, Jr.'s election.

Seaver's family says he will continue to work in the vineyard at his home in California.

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
This really saddened me. I still remember the day he was traded to the Red Sox and even though he was past his prime, it was a big deal then. I was young but I saw him pitch at Fenway (he went 8 innings) and my father told me that it was something I should remember, seeing one of the best.
Hope he lives a long and happy life going forward.

WaxPax

Seaver was one of my boyhood idols growing up in NY in the early 70's. The first MLB game I ever saw was a 1973 game at old Shea Stadium which he pitched.....

x9UIlrD.jpg

4WhYICL.jpg

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Sad to hear about this. He was a class act. Back in the late 60's and the 70's I knew it was going to be a long day for the Phillies when they faced Tom and the Mets. One of the best pitching matchups back then was Seaver vs. Carlton.

Members online

No members online now.