User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Fleer base set? 1981-1995

Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Favorite Fleer base set? 1981-1995

I reminded myself last night of a set that I rarely think about, but was one that was hard enough to find at the time and one that I think has the best and cleanest design for the company. If I had to pick a favorite set from Fleer, excluding their smaller and/or specialty sets pre 1981, 1984 would be the winner for me.

If you can eliminate the player selection as a reason for favoring a set (it always seems to come down to the best rookie cards, of course), then what Fleer set would be your top pick? My thought process here is that you like the set for the quality, design, photography and even the types of cards (for example, special subset cards), but not using player selection to rule in or out a set because a favorite player or future HOF rookie card was or was not included.

For the purpose of this question, the traded sets do not count either. 84 Fleer traded is arguably one of the best traded sets made in the 80s across all companies, simply due to it's original scarcity and the right couple of rookie cards that make it one of the most valuable still to this day.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	54e024b73f28a_352750n.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	87410
    Last edited by mrmopar; 03-10-2019 at 04:00 PM.

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when 95 hit and they did a different design for each division I think it was, it blew my mind that the design wasn't the same for each card. I also pulled my first and only "hot pack" from 95 Fleer. Not sure it's my favorite based solely on design but it probably gives me the best memories

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best design was 1987.

But the photos, like a lot of early Fleer sets, was pretty lame. Boring portraits, usually taken at the Vet for NL teams.

Although as a kid, those All-Star cards, with multiple players, usually duos, were great to me...
    Don't forget to use the FCB Link when buying on eBay!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also pick 1984 from a design standpoint. It's up there with 1984 Donruss, 1989 Upper Deck, and 1991 Topps from that time period.
    Last edited by zyceoa; 03-09-2019 at 07:05 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved Fleer, and the ‘82 through ‘90 sets are very nostalgic for me.
    My favorite design is the ‘87 set with the beautiful blue borders fading into white and the pictures that rise above the border. I still love looking at that gorgeous set in the binder and have fond memories of building it as a kid.

My favorite ‘87 Fleer cards are Cory Snyder, with the ball above the border while Snyder smiles and waits to catch it, the Andre Dawson, with him swinging his bat right in your face and the AL Pitcher’s Nightmare card showing Jose Canseco, Jim Rice and Kirby Puckett making goofy faces like someone just made a bad joke.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm partial to 1994 I suppose. It's a clean design. Also 1988. It won't win any design awards but I have a soft spot for it.
    Collecting Roberto Alomar. Over 4000 unique cards, but always looking for those I'm missing!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also liked 1988. The card stock seemed thicker.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always liked 1992 Fleer and the Rookie Sensations insert set.
    I PC Jeff Frye, Ozzie Smith, Jeff Bagwell, and Matt Holiday. Working on 2006-2018 Allen & Ginter sets
    https://jefffryecollection.wordpress.com - My collection website with galleries and want lists

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ď87 all the way. Still pops

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    SCREW PHOTOBUCKET
    Jeff Cirillo Spread Sheet ||
    Hall of Unending Gratitude: dazed, magicpapa, uniquebaseballcards, and the vigilant eye of tonsofcommons

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1992, simple, yet pleasing to the eye and unique.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1992 is definitely underrated. There was an upgrade in card stock quality and the design is smooth like a dinner mint. Was my favorite set that year for sure

SCREW PHOTOBUCKET
    Hall of Unending Gratitude: dazed, magicpapa, uniquebaseballcards, and the vigilant eye of tonsofcommons

Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to say it because everyone, I mean EVERONE, seems to hate the set, but I really like the 91 Fleer set. The yellow border is unique to say the least and this set had a lot of good action shots, which is what I like. They look great signed as well. 1991 is my favorite 90s Fleer set.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're just trolling us

Quote Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
    I have to say it because everyone, I mean EVERONE, seems to hate the set, but I really like the 91 Fleer set. The yellow border is unique to say the least and this set had a lot of good action shots, which is what I like. They look great signed as well. 1991 is my favorite 90s Fleer set.
    Collecting Roberto Alomar. Over 4000 unique cards, but always looking for those I'm missing!

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
    I wonít push back too much. Ď91 might be my third favorite. Always been a fan of yellow highlighters. No joke. I think itís a great set too.

SCREW PHOTOBUCKET

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trolls!

Quote Originally Posted by Brewer Andy View Post
    I won’t push back too much. ‘91 might be my third favorite. Always been a fan of yellow highlighters. No joke. I think it’s a great set too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast