Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Long time, no post

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
Hello all, not sure how many here were around back in the old Beckett board days, but i'm sure there's a few of you.

Anyone remember case breaks from those days? The Phillies fans chasing Cole Hamels refractors.

Did anyone hold onto these 'amazing' cards for way too long like I did? I have a stack of Delmon Young and Rickie Weeks rookie refractors and I have no idea if there's literally any interest in them.

Anyone remember 2003 Prospect Premiers? AMAZING set. Tons of potential. I've still got like 100 different cards of those Rookie Autographs. Any of them pan out? Heck yeah! Adam Jones back when he was a Mariner.

Wait, so you're telling me, I'm so old that I prospected Adam Jones back when he was a nobody, and now he's so old that he's not even good enough now to sign with a team till march 10th. That's a sobering thought.

Granted some seemed to do well and even appreciate over the years, (Votto comes to mind) but it's almost comical to think that someone like Cole Hamels who has had a great career, and his refractor RC is actually worth LESS now than back in 2002-03. So many examples of guys who had very GOOD careers, and yet because they didn't become Trout or Harper, the values tanked. HARD.

Apologies if you've all revisited this topic recently, but thought i'd say hi and see if anyone was still around with boxes of 2002 (fools) GOLD like me.

Finally, I'll be dumping some of my old Prospecting nuggets from the late 90's and early 2000's in the near future, and I figured you guys are my target market.

I believe pimping auctions is / was a no-no so if interested, you can ask me my ebay name and I won't clutter the discussion thread. (is that allowed on the buy/sell forum or no?)

****EDIT****

HAHAHHA< I forgot that my old sig file pops up when you post here. That really was a fun surprise

Last edited:

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I was on the BMB back in those days, but I've always been more of a lurker than a prolific poster. Good memories of 2002 Bowman Chrome Draft Gold Refractors being the hottest cards on the planet.

Regarding formerly hot prospect cards retaining any value...I think they retain a small amount, enough to be worth slightly more than they would have been if they were never super hot cards, but not a heck of a lot. I think a small number of people are willing to pay slightly more for them out of nostalgia's sake, plus some people are stubborn and have a hard time selling a card for $10 that they bought for $100 when it was super hot, which limits supply a little...even though the market says right now they'd be lucky to get $10 and $10 is better than $0. Which is why say a 2002 Jeremy Hermida Gold Refractor is going to sell for more than a Fred Lewis Gold Refractor even when they had similar unspectacular careers. The fact that the Hermida was once a hot expensive card carries a small amount of inertia.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
I was on the BMB back in those days, but I've always been more of a lurker than a prolific poster. Good memories of 2002 Bowman Chrome Draft Gold Refractors being the hottest cards on the planet.

Regarding formerly hot prospect cards retaining any value...I think they retain a small amount, enough to be worth slightly more than they would have been if they were never super hot cards, but not a heck of a lot. I think a small number of people are willing to pay slightly more for them out of nostalgia's sake, plus some people are stubborn and have a hard time selling a card for $10 that they bought for $100 when it was super hot, which limits supply a little...even though the market says right now they'd be lucky to get $10 and $10 is better than $0. Which is why say a 2002 Jeremy Hermida Gold Refractor is going to sell for more than a Fred Lewis Gold Refractor even when they had similar unspectacular careers. The fact that the Hermida was once a hot expensive card carries a small amount of inertia.

Great news! I'm still gonna be able to retire on my 2002 BCD Josh Johnson Gold Refractor!

Pills

Aug 7, 2008
Yep, I've been hopping on occasionally, too... and I just bought 3 boxes of Heritage after pretty much only doing base Topps for 5+ years.

You try to get out, but then they suck you back in!

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
Hey! Long time no see! Hope all is well by you!

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Things are great, got another bundle of Joy on the way. ALWAYS enjoyed reading your posts. Great to see you're still here.

I remember that gorilla

He remembers you.

same here.

and you

Interestingly, I've already sold some Hermidas and Uptons in all BGS grades 8.5, 9, and 9.5. Nostalgia on Hermida, but Upton had a legit very good career. Had some amazing moments.

Great news! I'm still gonna be able to retire on my 2002 BCD Josh Johnson Gold Refractor!

Maybe if he gets involved in a high speed chase or cures cancer?

I might have sold you some Weeks lol
Sounds like fun, share that link!

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

You SOB.

j/k link is in my sig file. 100 Graded 2002 Chrome Draft Refractors already up. Many (sadly) more to come.

Should probably just sell it to me ...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Freedom Card Board mobile app

But do you have a 2002 Refractor with an in-person signature? I do. Hopefully not for long.

i heard that WAS his picture

DUDE! That was told in confidence.

RIP Harambe.

Pour one out for my homie.

Yep, I've been hopping on occasionally, too... and I just bought 3 boxes of Heritage after pretty much only doing base Topps for 5+ years.

You try to get out, but then they suck you back in!

#FACT Every year heritage and draft tempts me. My 5 year old might be the kick that gets me back into random wax breaks, but prospecting is a long dead beast for me.

Yeah you mean like the pack pulled Mark Prior/Ferguson Jenkins dual Auto I was offered $250.00 for and passed cause he was the next great pitcher. I might be able to get $50.00 now.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

That and 2.71 will get you a venti dark roast at Starbucks

will-ferrell-harry-caray-snl2.jpg

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Things are great, got another bundle of Joy on the way. ALWAYS enjoyed reading your posts. Great to see you're still here.

He remembers you.

and you

Interestingly, I've already sold some Hermidas and Uptons in all BGS grades 8.5, 9, and 9.5. Nostalgia on Hermida, but Upton had a legit very good career. Had some amazing moments.

Maybe if he gets involved in a high speed chase or cures cancer?

You SOB.

j/k link is in my sig file. 100 Graded 2002 Chrome Draft Refractors already up. Many (sadly) more to come.

But do you have a 2002 Refractor with an in-person signature? I do. Hopefully not for long.

DUDE! That was told in confidence.

Pour one out for my homie.

#FACT Every year heritage and draft tempts me. My 5 year old might be the kick that gets me back into random wax breaks, but prospecting is a long dead beast for me.

That and 2.71 will get you a venti dark roast at Starbucks

View attachment 87640
I do not have one with an IP signature...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online

Latest posts