User Tag List

Thread: CARD COLLECTING and LIFE- sometime you have to choose

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation CARD COLLECTING and LIFE- sometime you have to choose

I would appreciate it if people could share the two below causes very near and dear to me this year
    Up front- thank you for even taking time to read it. I don't post much but when do its always about the cards I collect. Many of you have seen whats come back just the last few months. Just a tiny fraction of a large collection.I've been slowing letting go of stuff for years and selling stuff off to pay healthcare - but a new urgency is speeding this up

FYI other than this hobby I have no social media channels. I don't do facebook, twitter, or any other social media. Just hobby stuff- its all I've known since I started collecting cards in 1969
    So if your social media savvy - please pass the below on= I have ZERO prescence on social media - just hobby boards. I don't even own a cell phone- my wife handles anything to do with that part of life

Yesterday was April 6th. It was a very special day to me this year = more than most. Its usually just my wife's birthday. This year that day almost did not occur. While I did not release details back in January about what happened I feel now is a good time to talk about it. My wife had lived a life the last decade filled with pain and tears on a regular basis. She's been living with lupus, spinal pain and a host of auto immune diseases for years now. It caught up to her- and on Jan 21st she finally decided to try and make the pain and suffering end the only way she could

It is only by the grace of God I was able to come home and discover her suicide attempt. Had I not had the proper medical training and equipment she would be deceased. Thru a blessing of God she is here today - the day after her 48th birthday. A day that I hoped she would make it to enjoy after that fateful decision and time spent in the hospital
    It was not easy getting here- she very nearly succeeded in her attempt

I am trying to now help my wife succeed in her new life by doing everything I can to assist her. I have begun to divest myself of nearly all the cards I am holding on to here in Las Vegas. Even if it includes getting rid of cards I've collected for 50+ years .If I get home next year will do the same to my storage units back east.

The below link is set up to try and make our tiny goal. I blew thru our entire savings account to get her to this point
    Its been 3 months of frequent mental health appointments and tons of doctor visits
    I have some funds in the bank- enough for us to eat regularly and pay the normal bills
    Little else- eBay sales ramped up big time the last 2 weeks as I prep to move us on
    Plenty of PSA graded items have been listed and are going to be listed

My goal is for a new bed that has a memory foam mattress the spinal doc says will help her sleep better on. She averaged less than 3 hours sleep for 10 years folks. Think about that next time you sleep
    The last few weeks with new meds and lots of medical help we are up to 5,6 and sometimes even hit 8 hours
    What you and I take for granted she has worked her way to.

This goal also is for getting us out of the place where she tried ending her life so she is not reminded of a bad choice she made. I am doing everything I can to help make this happen. Even if it is just a few dollars- please help. Also pass the link on to whomever you can. Every dime will help the cause. Donor names can be seen or you can be anonymous

I'd appreciate if everyone could pass this along to whomever you choose.
    $2500 doesn't seem like much but is when money is diverted elsewhere for healthcare and basic life stuff

paypal.me/pools/c/8dFkdCRR6o

I currently have dozens of items up on eBay and am scanning my butt off to do more. Currently have $210 in bids and hope to net several hundred more in sales by the end

of the month. I cannot do this alone- please help any way you can either by direct donation, buying an item, or passing it along social media My eBay seller ID is 2014bestservice plenty of PSA slabbed items in my store and for auction

ALSO== the below link is her birthday wish. As you can see from this link- HER own friends- not mine- got her to 500% of her goal already. If you or anyone you know have been affected by suicide you'll know why also there.

It is a link for a Suicide Prevention Hotline she hopes to assist

https://www.facebook.com/donate/310217759622044/

Thanks folks. Took me some time to mull this over and think about talking about it
    Its not my nature to release a personal side of myself to others- doesn't come easy
    You can understand why I'd be shy about even discussing it

If you ever see anyone with a semi-colon tattoo- more than likely that person is a Suicide Prevention ally and has been affectedby it.

Thanks-
    Jeff

moxacaine
     moxacaine
    Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is never easy replying to something like this but I'm sorry your wife is going through this Jeff.

My father committed suicide years ago. It's not easy for anyone involved.

I wish you and your family the best moving forward.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

moxacaine
     moxacaine
    Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bid on a couple of your items and donated for your wife's birthday.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moxacaine View Post
    I bid on a couple of your items and donated for your wife's birthday.
    Thanks Ken for that -- and your life I am sure was reshaped by the experience- as mine has now been.
    Those who are know what pain is carry it as a reminder of what is most important in each day

When she gets up I'll let her know of it. She set a really low bar of $100
    I'm proud to say her friends love her very much

jeff

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jeff -

Thanks for sharing your story. Suicide is a rough thing. My experience with it is not quite as close as yours, but plenty close enough. Good luck to you and your wife going forward.

I picked up a few of your ebay goodies just now. If you have any other nice Robbie Alomar stuff sitting around, I might be interested, so just send me a PM. I look forward to the day when you resume your "365 days" thread. One reason is that I enjoy the hell out of reading it, but more importantly, it means your life has gotten back to some kind of normal that you have time for such posts!

Seth
    Collecting Roberto Alomar. Over 4000 unique cards, but always looking for those I'm missing!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by banjar View Post
    Hi Jeff -

Thanks for sharing your story. Suicide is a rough thing. My experience with it is not quite as close as yours, but plenty close enough. Good luck to you and your wife going forward.

I picked up a few of your ebay goodies just now. If you have any other nice Robbie Alomar stuff sitting around, I might be interested, so just send me a PM. I look forward to the day when you resume your "365 days" thread. One reason is that I enjoy the hell out of reading it, but more importantly, it means your life has gotten back to some kind of normal that you have time for such posts!

Seth

SETH-

Thanks for the buyS. I had to cancel the Parker Cracker Jack- when I went to package it I spilled diet coke all over it ( thats how life is going sadly)
    If I find another one ( I have hundreds of unopened cracker jacks) I'll mail it later to you for free
    If you coudl just confirm the cancel I'd appreciate it.
    Wish I hadn't cost myself money

jeff

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries Jeff. I spilled coke on my computer the other day. Averted disaster, but still a pain to clean up.
    Collecting Roberto Alomar. Over 4000 unique cards, but always looking for those I'm missing!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeff

I'm so glad to hear that you got to your wife at the right time. I can understand some of what you and your are going thru. My wife has been dealing with chronic progressive multiple sclerosis for 30 years now. She's gone from being the sickest patient at the biggest hospital in Boston, to us loosing our life savings in dealing with skilled nursing places. She's NEVER complained. Even though people like our wives have every right to. I am not bragging. I've not even said anything on any message board about me wife's situation.

If you would like, I could send you or you can send me a PM or email. I might have some suggestions on where and how to get your wife so help. Let me know. I hope the best for you both.

Dave
    Last edited by finestkind; 04-07-2019 at 01:47 PM.
    Thank you Ralph.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Donít have any useful words to say Jeff but Iím glad you shared with us and wish nothing but continued positive strength for you and your family. You have all of our support and positive thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    SCREW PHOTOBUCKET
    Jeff Cirillo Spread Sheet ||
    Hall of Unending Gratitude: dazed, magicpapa, uniquebaseballcards, and the vigilant eye of tonsofcommons

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by finestkind View Post
    Jeff

If you would like, I could send you or you can send me a PM or email. I might have some suggestions on where and how to get your wife so help. Let me know. I hope the best for you both.

Dave
    Thanks for that offer- its appreciated !!

I am blessed to have some great doctors & mental health professionals available to me. A close friend is head of a major psychiatric center and contacted me back in January and I have a bunch of medical professionals from various fields I can tap that work for the NIH-- so I'm sort of blessed there.

Handling her mental health side once she actually came out of ICU 9 days later actually HELPED her as we discovered a drug that allows her to sleep now-- so it was a major, major blessing.

My mother endured lupus - she probably died 10 years too early because of it. Raised 4 kids, never complained, never said a peep about the pain. Its where I learned my own pain tolerance and where I learned why I eat a ton ( its how I handle stress basically)
    Send me an email at my jeffv96masters@gmail.com address I'll read it there as PM really is tough to get to my system sometiems tells me days later ( not sure if its a spam filter setting or what it just takes a while most days)

jeff

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewer Andy View Post
    Don’t have any useful words to say Jeff but I’m glad you shared with us and wish nothing but continued positive strength for you and your family. You have all of our support and positive thoughts
    Those were words enough buddy- stay strong
    When lifes back to normal maybe subs some more Brewers aye ??

Me

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeff I'll send you an email later tonight if that's ok. I'll put Freedom Cardboard in the subject line so that you know its from me.
    Thank you Ralph.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very sorry to hear that Jeff. I really hope everything gets back on track for you and your wife. If you come across any Puckett stuff let me know. I'd love to make a couple of purchases to help out.

Josh
    Kirby Puckett Collection: 2148/2990 71.84% (As of 5/13/14)
    Current Most Wanted Kirby Puckett's (As of 2/5/17):
    1. 1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold
    2. 1992 Ace Novelty #307
    3. 2015 Panini Prizm Blue Baseball Retail Parallel
    4. 2016 Donruss 1982 Test Proofs Magenta/10
    5. 2015 Panini Cooperstown Golf

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jszczech View Post
    Very sorry to hear that Jeff. I really hope everything gets back on track for you and your wife. If you come across any Puckett stuff let me know. I'd love to make a couple of purchases to help out.

Josh
    Will do on any Puckett stuff.

Update so far on the goals. On the pool first week had $125 in donations towards the $2500 goal. Long way off but another 3 weeks to go before it ends. Again that link is below for those that do not see any cads yet on ebay they want

paypal.me/pools/c/8dFkdCRR6o

I have $170 gross in eBay sales after FNV/PayPal fees were taken out. So that's $279 so far towards the $2500 goal

I currently have $250 in bids on whats up and more is being listed tonite. If all goes well by end of this week will be around 30% of the goal. Hopefully I can reach it =seems like a long way off.

Again my ebay name is 2014bestservice please check out my listings.

Between the two so far is $295 total plus whatever sells this week ( possible $250-300 so far)
    We'll call it $550-600

So about $1900 off the goal with a little over 2.5 weeks left

We have til month end before we move as the lease expires and they want to renovate it and fix some leaks that we have lived thru for the last several months. So that's most of the stress now ( finding a new place).

So far looks like the bed will become a reality-- hopefully getting a new place will as well but thats $1900 away

Right now need to spend more time taking stuff into storage and going back and forth between storage and teh apartment.

Jeff