Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

For his career, Ernie Banks made...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
(According to a new book about Banks) $800,000.

That’s over a 19year MLB career. The most he made in one season was $85,000.

I know it’s a different time period and whatever, but damn! Thats crazy.

Again, according to the author of the book, even adjusted to 2019 dollars, he averaged about $400,000 per season, which is about 10 percent of the average MLB salary in 2017. (Not sure why two different years were quoted unless it was a typo in the article I read)

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
Times were different then too for pay scales. I had a job with a pharmaceutical company from 2012 to 2015 in the shipping and receiving department. I was making more than my father was making with the US treasury department (17 years) in 1993.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
The high end keeps getting higher. The middle stays about the same, and often slips in terms of real dollars. The bottom stays way down at the bottom. But you can't proportionally tax people making 8-9 figures a year, because it's not fair and that makes them sad and not want to work as hard.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
(According to a new book about Banks) $800,000.

That’s over a 19year MLB career. The most he made in one season was $85,000.

I know it’s a different time period and whatever, but damn! Thats crazy.

Again, according to the author of the book, even adjusted to 2019 dollars, he averaged about $400,000 per season, which is about 10 percent of the average MLB salary in 2017. (Not sure why two different years were quoted unless it was a typo in the article I read)

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
I averaged $33,000 a year for my 44 years of working on an avg of 55 hours a week. SOOOOOOOOOOO I do not feel bad for how much or how little baseball players do or do not make.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Different times. Most players had off-season jobs prior to the 1960's just to make ends meet. Stan Musial sold Christmas Trees. Willie Mays sold cars. Roy Campanella owned a Harlem liquor store. Carl Furillo ran a deli. Denny McLain was a lounge singer. Richie Hebner dug graves.

Amazing what guys get paid these day to play a kid's game. Even adjusting for inflation, salaries have risen ticket prices so high I can't afford to go to games anymore. Taking a family of four is just too much.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Different times. Most players had off-season jobs prior to the 1960's just to make ends meet. Stan Musial sold Christmas Trees. Willie Mays sold cars. Roy Campanella owned a Harlem liquor store. Carl Furillo ran a deli. Denny McLain was a lounge singer. Richie Hebner dug graves.

Amazing what guys get paid these day to play a kid's game. Even adjusting for inflation, salaries have risen ticket prices so high I can't afford to go to games anymore. Taking a family of four is just too much.

one day at yankee stadium for me is equal to my 55 inch flat screen i can watch the whole season on.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I'm not pissed that modern players make the money they do. They get millions in pay from billionaire owners, and...whatever. It's all fantasy money that means nothing to me.

I still like baseball a lot, and I like watching it. But TV or radio only. In person, an OK ticket plus a hot dog and beer is $75 minimum. Plus, there's the hassle of getting downtown, parking, etc. So a game or two a year is fine for me, and the rest is TV or radio. I'm OK with this arrangement.

The only thing that really pisses me off is when these people get sh!tty about money. When millionaires and billionaires - whose business is a freaking game - start fighting over money, I'm out. I'm absolutely the f*ck out. They can all go to hell. I'm mostly over 1994, but not quite. And I no longer give a god damn about hockey, for the single reason that those idiots canceled two complete seasons. Seriously, that's why I no longer follow hockey. Anyhoo. End of rant!

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I'm not pissed that modern players make the money they do. They get millions in pay from billionaire owners, and...whatever. It's all fantasy money that means nothing to me.

I still like baseball a lot, and I like watching it. But TV or radio only. In person, an OK ticket plus a hot dog and beer is $75 minimum. Plus, there's the hassle of getting downtown, parking, etc. So a game or two a year is fine for me, and the rest is TV or radio. I'm OK with this arrangement.

The only thing that really pisses me off is when these people get sh!tty about money. When millionaires and billionaires - whose business is a freaking game - start fighting over money, I'm out. I'm absolutely the f*ck out. They can all go to hell. I'm mostly over 1994, but not quite. And I no longer give a god damn about hockey, for the single reason that those idiots canceled two complete seasons. Seriously, that's why I no longer follow hockey. Anyhoo. End of rant!

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
There were no billion-dollar TV contracts back then, nor were there massive marketing and team endorsement deals from corporations. That's why teams are able to pay today's players so much.

It's all relative to advanced technology and our multi-media society.
Why should owner's keep all the money when it's the players who are generating it?

People don't care when actors make $25 million for working two months on a movie, but athletes are demonized for getting paid that much for an entire season.

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
People don't care when actors make $25 million for working two months on a movie, but athletes are demonized for getting paid that much for an entire season.

Like the 2012 Red Sox season ? When the players stood around on the field because they didn't like John Farrell.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I absolutely love this debate because it shows the best and worst capitalism has to offer. In this scenario the owners are the wealthy the players are the middle working class and the minor leaguers make the poor, most of them will toil never realizing the dream of making a working living in the profession for a prolonged period of time. I'm not sure what that makes the fans because we are the ones driving the whole machine.
I don't begrudge anyone in the system because capitalism tells everyone to fight for everything they can get and in some way or another we are all complicit. If players wanted to it would be easy enough for some of them to band together and own a team I'm sure Dallas keuchel and Craig kimbrel could get a few other money guys and buy a team but for the most part they will just piss and moan and do nothing to change anything.
And by the way if you think players who own teams will do anything different than they guys who did it before them you could not be more wrong. Does it seem like Derek Jeter is just looking to hand out money to people who were his peers just a few years back? You think any of these guys that were crying on Twitter about all the free agents left on the market during spring training would have been giving generous contracts to players if they owned a team?? Hell no, and they shouldn't, a profitable business gives it's workers just enough to keep coming to work and fighting for more next time. That is the system we have created.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Nolan Ryan owned 6% Texas Ranger in 2010. Now he owns about 1 or 2% of the team.

Are you talking about the dollar value of his investment compared to the estimated franchise value? I can't believe if you owned 6% of a team that you would divest 4-5% of your investment instead of retaining the 6% ownership stake.