Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps Total is back!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raddison1972

Jan 4, 2013
Pearland, Texas
While I realize everyone poo-poo'd this set on this thread, I thought I'd share some info. I grabbed a 10 pack lot from wave 3 because I was interested to see what these cards looked like. I really liked the card stock and surface, reminded me of the old Tiffany cards, which I think this was intended to be a linage of, but I'm no expert on keeping up with everything Topps does. The fact they've had Topps Total for over a decade before I noticed should be an indication on my collecting habits and probably because of a lack of a local card shop I guess. If I'm lucky, I might get to one card show a year.

Anyways, Out of the 10 packs, I got a gold 1/1, a black x/5 and a red x/10. Need some time to collate, but I did get a few doubles which means I didn't pull the full wave 3 set of 100 cards. I did get the Pete Alonso and Alex Bregman I was hoping to get though. Maybe I was lucky on my small sample size, but I was impressed enough with the base cards and chance at the more rare color cards to order another 10 packs from wave 4. It does have Eloy and Hunter Pence on the checklist, so that helped my decision. Call me crazy, but I like the plainness of these cards coupled with the Tiffany card stock shiny feel.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
So, reading back to the original post, can we assume you paid $100ish for the 10 packs? If so, do you feel as though you got good value for your packs? That is really what it comes down to.

If the average pack opener is not flipping, prospecting or set building, I think many people have figured out in the long run in just pays to buy the singles you want when it comes to pricy issues. But if you have the rip "sickness" or don't mind the excess bulk in your collection, then opening packs is probably still the way to go.

While I realize everyone poo-poo'd this set on this thread, I thought I'd share some info. I grabbed a 10 pack lot from wave 3 because I was interested to see what these cards looked like. I really liked the card stock and surface, reminded me of the old Tiffany cards, which I think this was intended to be a linage of, but I'm no expert on keeping up with everything Topps does. The fact they've had Topps Total for over a decade before I noticed should be an indication on my collecting habits and probably because of a lack of a local card shop I guess. If I'm lucky, I might get to one card show a year.

Anyways, Out of the 10 packs, I got a gold 1/1, a black x/5 and a red x/10. Need some time to collate, but I did get a few doubles which means I didn't pull the full wave 3 set of 100 cards. I did get the Pete Alonso and Alex Bregman I was hoping to get though. Maybe I was lucky on my small sample size, but I was impressed enough with the base cards and chance at the more rare color cards to order another 10 packs from wave 4. It does have Eloy and Hunter Pence on the checklist, so that helped my decision. Call me crazy, but I like the plainness of these cards coupled with the Tiffany card stock shiny feel.

raddison1972

Jan 4, 2013
Pearland, Texas
So, reading back to the original post, can we assume you paid $100ish for the 10 packs? If so, do you feel as though you got good value for your packs? That is really what it comes down to.

If the average pack opener is not flipping, prospecting or set building, I think many people have figured out in the long run in just pays to buy the singles you want when it comes to pricy issues. But if you have the rip "sickness" or don't mind the excess bulk in your collection, then opening packs is probably still the way to go.

It was $90 for 10 packs. I don't think that's pricey, but then again we all have opinions, budgets and paychecks and sure they're all different. Just wanted to share my opinion about the issue from an average pack opening collector. By the way, the 1/1 Alonso is currently on the bay for $200 with 5 days left. So, if you look at the checklist of each wave you can definitely prospect if that's your thing. I don't prospect but typically trade, sell or give away anything I don't collect...gotta manage that "excess bulk" or it can get out of hand!

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
After this thread was bumped, I started looking for them on ebay. Was close to buying sets, but the seller I was going to use was offline. Now a week later I realize I hadn't even thought about these cards in the interval, and I'm glad I didn't buy them. I still would like to have a complete set, but I don't WANT them. Collectoritis under control. Keeping my eyes on the prize, saving money for National.

Members online