Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

April pick up thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
Haven't seen one for April yet so let's see what you guys have got so far.

Not too much for me this month so far....

Scan_20190412 (8).jpg

Scan_20190410 (2).jpg

Scan_20190410 (3).jpg

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I don't collect much football but those are some cool cards Dave.... Love the old leather helmet swatch...
Thank ya. First couple years of NT, especially the super limited stuff, usually doesn't pop up much. Figured I was going to have to pay through the nose for the first 4, but I didn't, so I was able to pick up the last two. Bears triple is /5, while the rest are /25.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Freedom Card Board mobile app

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
First new pickups since 2016

xpa8af.jpg

Still not sure whether I want to do the complete set. It’ll depend on whether I can find several from the same seller

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
First new pickups since 2016
Still not sure whether I want to do the complete set. It’ll depend on whether I can find several from the same seller

Very nice grabs. I don't have any myself but it is a great checklist with some important RC's. I say go for the set, you have a good start and your Acuna is beautiful.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I made this post in the March 2018 pickup thread.

So this was a special pickup for me. Some of you know I have a big Don Zimmer collection. When he passed away in June 2014, the Tampa Bay Rays honored him by wearing "Zim" patches on their sleeves for the remainder of the season. During his time with the Rays, Zimmer became very good friends with Evan Longoria. They spent a lot of time together talking baseball, and Longoria was like a son to Zim. Longoria presented a tribute jersey to Don's wife when Tampa Bay retired Zimmer's number later that season (you can see the patch on the sleeve).

zim2014patch.jpg
GettyImages-468747176.0.0.jpg

I hoped to find a game-used card featuring the "Zim" patch for several years. This week I found one. And while I had to pay double what the card usually sells for, I just had to have it. The fact that it was worn by Longoria makes it that much sweeter.

longoria_zimpatch.jpg

And today I think I outdid myself - another section of the Zim patch, but on the 1/1 card!

s-l1000.jpg

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
In 1946, players like Jackie Robinson, Roy Campanella and a few others were breaking the Minor-League color barrier.

Minor leaguers make very little money and for Campanella who was a ***** League superstar, it would have been a huge reduction in salary to play in the minors.

In his contract, the Dodgers added a clause to pay him additional money (worth more than 2x what his actual standard paycheck was).

Apparently there were some issues with it, and this internal letter was sent from legendary Dodgers front office man Buzz Bavasi.

I have the contract and felt this was too interesting to pass up in conjunction with it.

IMG_5839.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
So I'm putting together series 1,2 and update from 2018. I just busted a box of 2018 and found this guy hanging out in there

IMG_20190419_181824.jpg

I'm just building the set so everything else is just extra but I also got a Neshek black parrallel and a Travis Shaw home run challenge card.