User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How is Craig Kimbrel still not signed to a team? (Update 6/5: Signed with Cubs)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How is Craig Kimbrel still not signed to a team? (Update 6/5: Signed with Cubs)

I don't get it. Kimbrel is one of the greatest relief pitchers in history.
    He's only 30 years old and healthy.

In only 8 seasons, he already has 333 saves, a 1.91 era, has an incredible 868 Ks in 532 innings and 5 top-10 Cy Young finishes, which is crazy for a reliever, especially in just 8 years.

Does he not get along with teammates or something? Is he asking for a ridiculous amount of money? The guy's a first ballot Hall of Famer in the prime of his career.

Also Dallas Keuchel. He's just 31 and last year led the AL in games started and won the Gold Glove. And no team wants him? What the hell?
    Last edited by Austin; 06-05-2019 at 11:55 PM.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greed and stupidity.

Resident Yadier Molina, and Pro Wrestling super fan.

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the same thing until I heard he was looking for a 5 year $100 mil deal, he's a reliever, don't care how good he is or he thinks he is some one of better value is available if he won't go below that. I'm a Sox fan, we desperately could use him...but not at that price

nmusicp1
     @nmusicp
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same for the Braves, we could use both of them but Liberty just won’t spend money and games are hard to watch. From what I heard they both wanted huge contracts and Braves just don’t want to give out anything over 2 years it seems. Someone’s gonna cave eventually, wether it’s the teams or players
    Will sell/trade soul for Washington Capitals/Atlanta Braves cards
    http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/nmusicp/library/

Current white whale:
    2014-15 Artifacts Stick to Stick Duos Alexander Ovechkin/Nicklas Backstrom

Looking for 18/19 SP Game Used Net Cords and 18/19 Upper Deck Day with the cup inserts

rebelpawn
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a combination of unrealistic contract demands and his complete terribleness in the playoffs last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s also the draft pick attached to him if anyone signs him before the draft. Would be the Braves 60th pick and a little over $1M in slot money. Saying they can’t afford to give that up due to the loss of international signing ability.

Liberty Media is also cheap.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After the Greg Holland disaster last season, I wouldn’t advise any team to sign a relief pitcher who doesn’t go through a full spring training.

Let them both sit this season, then everyone lowball them with offers next season and cost them both several million dollars.

They’re both idiots.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Closer is the most replaceable position in baseball psshhh

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    SCREW PHOTOBUCKET
    Jeff Cirillo Spread Sheet ||
    Hall of Unending Gratitude: dazed, magicpapa, uniquebaseballcards, and the vigilant eye of tonsofcommons

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with others, greed and over estimating their worth based on the changing FA market. They want deals that were given out 4 or 5 years ago and that's not what's happening today.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kimbrel is hurt based on his poor performance later in the year last year and no teams wanting to sign him. Also, Keuchel is 31. Not a young FA by any means, has 1-2 years left in his prime and of his 7 years in MLB only has really had 2 really good years in 15 &17. He's been mediocre the rest of his career. Based on similar players according to baseballreference.com, he is similar to Mat Latos, Carlos Carrasco, Jose Quintana, Julio Teheran, and Jaime Garcia.....would you give huge contracts out to any one of those guys?

JayBruceFan32
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im all for the players to get whatever they can. The agents for these players are also trying to cash in too. Just makes you wonder when the Mets pay Bobby Bonilla every year if the agent still gets his cut or if he got that on the front end. Btw, Barry Larkin is still being paid by the Reds too. He deferred millions to get Griffey Jr to Cincinnati.

Fordman

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fordman View Post
    Im all for the players to get whatever they can. The agents for these players are also trying to cash in too. Just makes you wonder when the Mets pay Bobby Bonilla every year if the agent still gets his cut or if he got that on the front end. Btw, Barry Larkin is still being paid by the Reds too. He deferred millions to get Griffey Jr to Cincinnati.

Fordman

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Bruce Sutter is still getting paid and he retired in 1989.

JayBruceFan32
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
    Bruce Sutter is still getting paid and he retired in 1989.

Still getting paid. Genius move by their agent. I'm willing to bet their agent was fully paid on the front end though.

Fordman

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

piledriver1
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it a genius move, though? Instead of getting $1m a year for 30 years (to pick a number, don't know what these guys get), wouldn't getting, say, $2m a year for 15 years be better? With inflation, the last few payments would be worth significantly less than the first few million. Although, at the time Sutter's and Bonilla's contracts were done, interest rates were quite a bit higher all around, with bonds and annuities paying a lot more than they do today. If teams put money aside in some sort of interest-bearing instrument, it could be just about free to pay this out over so long a time. But now that interest rates have been so low for so long, it's probably about even for both sides.

Reading up on Sutter's contract, he is due for a balloon payment of $9.1m in 2 years, which would make him an average paid all-star closer today. Darren O'Day, who is listed with the Braves but doesn't seem to be able to pitch for the foreseeable future, is getting paid $9m this year.
    Looking for 2011 Topps Marquee Museum autographs, rare Frank Thomases, and any Grady Sizemores I don't have

fcbsportscards
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't get how he's not signed when the Braves desperately need him.
    Check out the FCB Community Sports Card Podcast
    Wanna host? PM Me! We would love to have YOU on the podcast.

nmusicp1
     @nmusicp
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably 99% because of Liberty Media preferring to build up more of The Battery than build the team. I wish they’d sell the Braves, Glavine is apparently interested I’ve heard
    Will sell/trade soul for Washington Capitals/Atlanta Braves cards
    http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/nmusicp/library/

Current white whale:
    2014-15 Artifacts Stick to Stick Duos Alexander Ovechkin/Nicklas Backstrom

Looking for 18/19 SP Game Used Net Cords and 18/19 Upper Deck Day with the cup inserts

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast