Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Looking for some advice on possibly selling some vintage cards for a friend on FCB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I don't need help selling the cards themselves, I am mainly looking for feedback from those members here that have been around a while or may be active on the transaction side of the board. I have never tried to sell anything here and browsing the first couple of pages in the baseball section, it appears this may not be the right forum anyway.

Does anyone believe listing 50s-60s star cards here will be productive or should I just skip it and head over to Net54?

The small collection I was sent are a random selection of cards that were acquired by the seller in the late 60s-70s. This person is a baseball fanatic and was smart enough to buy cards in the early days along with those he obtained himself from packs and trading with friends. He is retired now and is selling off a lifetime of collectibles and although he does have an ebay account (which is where I met him), he is not interested in selling singles there because he fears most vintage singles buyers on ebay are just looking for a flip opportunity and I guess he had some initial bad luck with buyers giving him grief over condition, regardless of how they were described. I don't blame him with what I have seen the market turn into over the years with grading services. The cards here are mostly not worthy of grading, aside from possible a few really nice ones of better superstar cards and apparently he doesn't want to deal with that for a small minority of the cards. However, I thought a place like the boards would be a little different. He has never been on any of these sites though, so this is where I come in as an intermediate party to help sell them through me. I have bought a good number of items from this seller over the last couple of years and recently met him in person. I feel he is quite trustworthy. He originally sent these cards to me with the offer that I look them over and select any cards I might want and then we would agree upon a price and send any I didn't want back. However, I had most of the cards already and some of those I would have wanted were in lesser condition that I would want for my collection, so I offered to help him sell them since I was not going to be a buyer for the majority.

These are what I would call "collector grade". They range from beaters to some really nice cards, but I do not plan to "grade" any of the cards I list. I will provide scans on front and back and an asking price. The buyer would then need to examine the information, ask any questions and decide from there. I am trying to come up with what I feel are reasonable prices for a collector (not a dealer looking to flip) based solely on completed ebay auctions, given the condition of the card in my sole opinion. I probably need to say that I can't be 100% sure that all of the cards are completely as issued, meaning there is a chance something could have been altered before this collector owned them. Given what I have been told by him, I highly doubt there is a chance of this and I would be willing to bet he has done nothing to them. There are condition issues with some (creases, writing, loss of paper, etc). I hope not and doubt that any have been recolored or trimmed, but I can't say one way or the other unless it is obvious to me upon examination. Lastly, I know this is probably wasted breath here, but I urge any buyers to be collectors and not dealers or flippers. Like the owner, I don't want to deal with anyone who thinks they got an under graded card out of a deal. You are buying what you see, nothing more, nothing less.

We wanted to test the waters with a small run of 1968 Topps first, but for fun, I took a group shot w/o the 68s and you can probably see there are some pretty exciting cards in the rest of the batch. It was a lot of fun just sorting through them when they first arrived, having no idea what would be included. I hope that I am able to garner some interest and pass the 68 test so that I have a chance to sell some of the better cards later. For what it is worth, I am not doing this for any compensation. I am simply helping out a generous collector I know and thought it might be fun, since we were not talking 1000s of cards...yet.

image4.jpeg

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I mean, FCB is never going to be the best place to sell anything but that doesn’t mean we wouldn’t love first crack. Surprisingly there’s a lot of collectors who like well loved vintage :)

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
I've never bought or sold anything on FCB. I've bought cards from members on the Net54 forum several times all with no problems. Most transactions were for a few cards, all under $100. If I have questions about a person selling there, I contact the owner (Leon). If I were to start selling my vintage cards, I would go with Net54. More vintage collectors there. No fee's. You can use an auction type sale or buy it now. If the cards don't sell within a week or so. Lower the price.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
If he wants anywhere near market for decent vintage cards he pretty much needs to get them graded. Too much potential value and too easy for that value to be gone do to a trimmed or touched up card. You will get people speculating on them at low prices if they are raw. If you want a real collector to pay close to what they are (if they are real, untampered with and in good condition) getting graded is necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Keep in mind that I scanned ebay completed listings for sales of raw cards to base my prices from. I didn't take note of who the sellers were, which could help influence the overall prices, but most cards had numerous copies selling in that range from a variety of sellers.

I know I am not the only one who thinks it is sad that (1) spending extra money for a 3rd party to "grade" your cards is what it takes to get the best dollar for the better cards and (2) that it has come to almost requiring this due to fradualent behavior by unscrupulous sellers. I collected early enough to enjoy some aspects of the "good old days", but was not old enough or advanced enough within the hobby at that time to appreciate it.

Members online