Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How long until Phillies fans start booing Bryce Harper?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Sure the season is only a month old, but Phillies fans are notoriously brutal. The Phillies are in first, but barely above .500 and Harper’s been struggling.

After a hot 3-game start in March, Harper’s hitting .253 with 3 homers in April. And he’s on pace for a Major League record 230 strikeouts.

How long until Phillies fans start booing Harper and realize his ridiculous contract was based on hype, “potential” and the hope of matching his one great season from four years ago?

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
How long until Phillies fans start booing Harper and realize his ridiculous contract was based on hype, “potential” and the hope of matching his one great season from four years ago?

I'm just waiting for the end of the season when the Braves win the division and the Phillies miss the playoffs. Just like Lakers got Lebron and missed the playoffs, I can see the same about the Phils getting Harper and missing the playoffs.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Unfortunately, Harper is not a starting pitcher or a reliever, their two biggest needs.

As long as he keeps getting walks, playing good D and most importantly, playing hard every game, the Phillies fans will be pretty fine with him.

They love his fire and aggressive baserunning.

They hate lack of effort most of all. That's why they stupidly booed Schmidt for so many years. They mistakenly thought he wasn't "busting it" just because he made it look so easy.

That's why they still love Daulton, Utley, Rose and Bowa and players like them. Their instense game-to-game effort won them a place in the fans hearts.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Unfortunately, Harper is not a starting pitcher or a reliever, their two biggest needs.

Harper has always been a streaky hitter and is currently around his career production averages during this small sample size though I'm not sure that is what Philly paid for. You are right, offensively they are middle of the pack in MLB but their pitching has been terrible. I expect Nola to come around but they are going to need more than that to make the playoffs.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
TBH, they started booing him when he was offered $300M and didn't immediately accept, shopping himself around another couple months. Phillies fans certainly have booed their stars when they do poorly. I remember being at a game once as a kid when Mike Schmidt was in the middle of a 0-20something slump, striking out every other AB, and he was booed quite vehemently. I remember feeling bad for him, knowing he was trying and did care but sometimes you just can't hit the ball. But since then it became a thing and just a self-reinforcing cycle, where I suppose the fans feel it's their part in the game. Red Sox have Sweet Caroline, Cubs have Take Me Out To the Ballgame, Braves have The Freeze, Brewers have the sausage race, Phillies fans boo.

Bob Franklin

Nov 30, 2008
Philly, PA
Harper is not being BOOOOOED? yet. If he continues to hit at his present pace, it won't be long until he is, and rightfully so. Any Phillies who do not perform will be booed and anybody who pays the price of
admission has the right to boo any player.
Also, it's not as bad as a lot of you think to live in Philadelphia. It's getting there thanks to the Dems and liberal politicians who are running the City, but right now, it's not bad in my neighborhood.

And Yoda was correct! One man does not a team make, But the Phillies picked up more than Harper -
McCutchen, Realmuto, Segura, and Robertson. True, they need a bullpen (just like the other NL East teams do) and could use another starter or two. But I think they'll be fightin' for a playoff spot with the
Nats and the Mets. They're still a young team and they'll figure it out soon. The bats will wake up and
the wins will keep coming.

And Bryce Harper will be booooooed quite often.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Don't get me wrong, it was decent when I was a kid -- plenty of parks and playgrounds to spend my days. But when I got to high school, it seemed like the neighborhood changed. Everyone was up to no good, making trouble. So my Mom shipped me off to a family member's house in California... I haven't been back since. Good riddance, Philly!

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Don't get me wrong, it was decent when I was a kid -- plenty of parks and playgrounds to spend my days. But when I got to high school, it seemed like the neighborhood changed. Everyone was up to no good, making trouble. So my Mom shipped me off to a family member's house in California... I haven't been back since. Good riddance, Philly!

This....

Edit to add: going to Cali must have felt like a Fresh start...

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa

Fresh!