Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A sad Albert Pujols stat...to me at least

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigAppleJak

Aug 8, 2008
Since his rookie year Albert batted over .300 for pretty much the first 10 years of his career.

In 2012 when he moved to the Angels his season batting average started dipping below .300 and now his lifetime batting average is about to go sub 300 for the first time EVER....

To me its a little sad, as a career 300 batter is pretty much a rarity in todays game (Miggy, Altuve, Ichiro, Votto, etc...)

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Decline gets everyone, Votto's average this year isn't anything to write home about, if this is what the rest of his career is, he won't be a career .300 hitter.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
A lot can be said for the value of longevity AND good play. A lot of people brush off players because their stats are no phenominal through their entire careers.

I thought the same thing for Frank Thomas as he wound down his career, although he barely made the cut with .301. Think of the monster years Ichiro had and still ended with "just" a .311 BA.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I was thinking the same thing about Pujols lately.
He went from having Stan Musial like stats his first ten years to slightly above average during his next decade.
Completely killed his lifetime batting average and makes his career stats not look as impressive.

Makes you appreciate the greatness of hitters like Williams, Musial and Gwynn, who still had the bat speed and incredible eye to keep their batting average high through the end of their careers.

deaconblues63

Oct 25, 2012
Since his rookie year Albert batted over .300 for pretty much the first 10 years of his career.

In 2012 when he moved to the Angels his season batting average started dipping below .300 and now his lifetime batting average is about to go sub 300 for the first time EVER....

To me its a little sad, as a career 300 batter is pretty much a rarity in todays game (Miggy, Altuve, Ichiro, Votto, etc...)

I still remember this from Baseball Digest from when I was a kid.

http://www.appelpr.com/?page_id=3415

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I’m a Cardinals fan with absolutely zero negative feelings toward Albert Pujols. I still love him and have tickets for his first return to Busch Stadium since leaving and I can’t wait to be a part of that crowd.

That being said, I’m on board with the ‘he’s older than he claims’ theory.

I’m a year and a half younger than him, and seeing him then (when I was a senior in high school during his rookie year) and seeing him now, it’s like he is 20 years older than me.

I’m very thankful the Cardinals got his best years. He’s the greatest baseball player I’ve ever had the privilege of watching, and I’m also thankful the Cardinals aren’t on the hook with that horrible contract.

I love Albert, but I read a quote a few years that will always stay with me. Sadly I can’t remember who wrote it, but it said something along the lines of “Yadier Molina has become what Cardinals fans thought Albert Pujols would be.”

It’s so true.

I love Albert, and everything he did while in St. Louis, and has he stayed he would have been given a statue the size of Stan Musial’s outside of the stadium. He’ll still get a statue, but it won’t be the size of Stan’s, and Yadi is more deserving of one the size of Stan’s.

Yadi’s the f*cking man in St. Louis.

Members online

Latest posts