User Tag List

Thread: A sad Albert Pujols stat...to me at least

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A sad Albert Pujols stat...to me at least

Since his rookie year Albert batted over .300 for pretty much the first 10 years of his career.

In 2012 when he moved to the Angels his season batting average started dipping below .300 and now his lifetime batting average is about to go sub 300 for the first time EVER....

To me its a little sad, as a career 300 batter is pretty much a rarity in todays game (Miggy, Altuve, Ichiro, Votto, etc...)

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decline gets everyone, Votto's average this year isn't anything to write home about, if this is what the rest of his career is, he won't be a career .300 hitter.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot can be said for the value of longevity AND good play. A lot of people brush off players because their stats are no phenominal through their entire careers.

I thought the same thing for Frank Thomas as he wound down his career, although he barely made the cut with .301. Think of the monster years Ichiro had and still ended with "just" a .311 BA.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking the same thing about Pujols lately.
    He went from having Stan Musial like stats his first ten years to slightly above average during his next decade.
    Completely killed his lifetime batting average and makes his career stats not look as impressive.

Makes you appreciate the greatness of hitters like Williams, Musial and Gwynn, who still had the bat speed and incredible eye to keep their batting average high through the end of their careers.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

joey_baseball
     joey12524
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Babe, 22 years, life time BA.342

gracecollector
    Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joey12508 View Post
    The Babe, 22 years, life time BA.342
    Lots of career 300 hitters before specialty middle innings relievers and closers. Different eras man. Makes guys like Gwynn, Boggs and Puckett really stand out as batsmen. Lifetime average over .300 and played post 1970 is notable!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAppleJak View Post
    Since his rookie year Albert batted over .300 for pretty much the first 10 years of his career.

In 2012 when he moved to the Angels his season batting average started dipping below .300 and now his lifetime batting average is about to go sub 300 for the first time EVER....

To me its a little sad, as a career 300 batter is pretty much a rarity in todays game (Miggy, Altuve, Ichiro, Votto, etc...)
    I still remember this from Baseball Digest from when I was a kid.

http://www.appelpr.com/?page_id=3415

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iím a Cardinals fan with absolutely zero negative feelings toward Albert Pujols. I still love him and have tickets for his first return to Busch Stadium since leaving and I canít wait to be a part of that crowd.

That being said, Iím on board with the Ďheís older than he claimsí theory.

Iím a year and a half younger than him, and seeing him then (when I was a senior in high school during his rookie year) and seeing him now, itís like he is 20 years older than me.

Iím very thankful the Cardinals got his best years. Heís the greatest baseball player Iíve ever had the privilege of watching, and Iím also thankful the Cardinals arenít on the hook with that horrible contract.

I love Albert, but I read a quote a few years that will always stay with me. Sadly I canít remember who wrote it, but it said something along the lines of ďYadier Molina has become what Cardinals fans thought Albert Pujols would be.Ē

Itís so true.

I love Albert, and everything he did while in St. Louis, and has he stayed he would have been given a statue the size of Stan Musialís outside of the stadium. Heíll still get a statue, but it wonít be the size of Stanís, and Yadi is more deserving of one the size of Stanís.

Yadiís the f*cking man in St. Louis.

Resident Yadier Molina, and Pro Wrestling super fan.

scooter2374
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deaconblues63 View Post
    I still remember this from Baseball Digest from when I was a kid.

http://www.appelpr.com/?page_id=3415

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board
    I was just thinking that the same fate befell Mickey with his last couple sub .300 seasons. Thanks for the link.
    Boredom kills, and those it does not kill, it cripples, and those it does not cripple, it bleeds like a leech, leaving its victims pale, insipid and brooding. B. Harden