Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

"King" Felix on HOF ball? Your thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
D6iuquVX4AIwx6h.jpeg

Saw this online today.

Personally, I disapprove.

Not of Felix but of getting a HOF ball signed by someone NOT in the Hall. Even if seems like a lock. Or getting a HOF inscription early.

And I certainly wouldn't say "King" Felix is a lock HOFer.

But I thought it might be a good discussion to have...

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I see where you are coming from with this, but to me, it is no different than a player signing a PEPSI or DICK'S SPORTING GOODS logo baseball. Signing a HOF logo ball doesn't imply he is in the Hall of Fame and those balls aren't exactly a thing anyways as far as I know. Now making and having him sign a HOF plaque postcard, that is a different sotry. That would be sacrilegious.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Not cool, it's like talking about a perfect game/no-no before it's complete, you jinx the whole thing.
Perhaps if someone were targeting an actual HOFer and they didn't expect him and they were a big fan I would understand but this seems much different than that.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Stupid idea since there are so many reasons a player may not make the HOF. And as others have written, it's disrespectful and presumptuous for a player to sign a HOF ball.

Even getting Mike Trout on a HOF ball is a bad idea since a freak injury could end his career before the requires 10 years of service.

Of course the ball was signed when Hernandez was great, but he now has a 0% chance of making the HOF.

His last three seasons his ERAs have been 4.36, 5.55 and 6.32, he's chronically hurt, was just put back on the Injured List again, he's 33 and this is the last year of his contract. No team will probably sign him for next season and his career numbers are far from spectacular.

I think he'll be like Johan Santana, remembered for having a nice stretch of a few years, then failing to get 5% of the HOF vote after he retires.

Last edited:

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
As a firm believer in jinxes, in my mind, Hernandez signed these balls years ago, and his career immediately went downhill. He unintentionally derailed his own career by signing these balls. It's his own fault.

You never mention a no-hitter while it's in progress. You don't touch the Stanley Cup or Lombardi Trophy before you've won it. And you don't sign a HoF ball until you get the call.

Members online

No members online now.