Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So if you could have 1 item back that you used to have, what would it be?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
I'm torn between 2 game worn hats that I sold off last December. We were due with our first child early January and I figured I might as well sell a few things off. First thing to go was my Paul Molitor 2016 Spring Training worn hat. Made money on it, but with my new display case that's going up, it would have looked really cool displayed with his 2016 Spring Training worn jersey of his that I have.

The next one was sold shortly after and was my Byron Buxton 2017 Stars and Stripes game used hat that I got signed at 2018 TwinsFest. I was really on the fence on letting it go. I figured with the money I had into it, there was a good chance it's value would drop since his 2018 season was pretty poor. Thankfully, I still made some money on it, but with his performance so far this season I wish I would have held on to it and kept it in the PC.

In the long run though, I was able to buy quite a few diapers with the money I made off the hats, but I could have afforded to keep them.

And I was working on getting the 2008 Ginter set signed, but it somewhat stalled out around the 150ish mark and I decided to start selling them off. I'm okay with the decision, but still think it would have been pretty cool to get the whole set signed. The final straw for me was being the underbidder on a PSA/DNA copy of the Derek Jeter card. If I would have won that one, I would have kept going on the set.

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
In 2003 I pulled an 03 Donruss Classics Stan Musial bat card #05/11. At that time, I didn't have a PC other than my Red Sox collection and I sold it for quite a bit. A few years ago I decided that I wanted to buy back a copy of all the major cards that I pulled and then sold for the majority of my collecting career. I've been able to get most of them back, but the Musial bat card is one that I've never seen another of.
Since there are only 11 copies it's very unlikely that I'll ever see one again but I keep checking.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Unopened 1961 7th series wax box. Of course, that only lasted until I got home and opened them all, as a 9 year old. Wish I still had that box, unopened.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Somehow I missed the whole Trout thing in 2009, as I was getting out of prospecting by then, and I didn't jump into it in 2012 when Trout occurred. I opened several of those 2011 Value Boxes, too, but didn't get a single Trout.

But when I was 15 I sold a bunch of my best cards because I wasn't old enough to get a real job but still needed money. I'm sure I got robbed, but I remember getting $30 for my Nolan Ryan RC. Considering I had bought it 3 years earlier for $7 I was quite pleased at the time. That's the one card I wish I'd held onto, even though it was probably a 3 or so.

Really my bigger regrets are hanging onto things way too long rather than letting too many things go too early. Thousands of dollars in missed ROI.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
SGC 92 OPC Gretzky rookie. Nicest one I’ve ever seen. Sold and crossed to a PSA 9, then resold for over $25k

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
No Justice on the item I had.

1992 Fleer Ultra or base Fleer? If it's base Fleer I remember it selling on eBay and kicking myself since it had Justice and I let it go. I've never seen it since. If you have a pic I would be incredibly grateful!

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Somehow I missed the whole Trout thing in 2009, as I was getting out of prospecting by then, and I didn't jump into it in 2012 when Trout occurred. I opened several of those 2011 Value Boxes, too, but didn't get a single Trout.

But when I was 15 I sold a bunch of my best cards because I wasn't old enough to get a real job but still needed money. I'm sure I got robbed, but I remember getting $30 for my Nolan Ryan RC. Considering I had bought it 3 years earlier for $7 I was quite pleased at the time. That's the one card I wish I'd held onto, even though it was probably a 3 or so.

Really my bigger regrets are hanging onto things way too long rather than letting too many things go too early
. Thousands of dollars in missed ROI.

have a bunch of those

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I got out of cards around '96. HS happened. I think that's the natural breaking point for most teen boys.

Summer of 2001 I was home visiting from college. I still lived away over the summer because I was training with my team. I think I just missed the innocence of summer and the childhood I had. Visited my childhood shop and strolled through looking at their amazing display cases. I'd never seen autographs or game used at this point in my life.

I was drawn to the beauty of a Joe DiMaggio cut check auto and instantly knew the game had changed. I was interested in what Ichiro and Pujols were doing so I decided to grab some loose packs.

Fleer Platinum then Fleer 100th Red Sox because I liked the old time look.

Sitting in my car I opened that first pack of 100th Red Sox and it hit me.
s-l500.jpg

I ran inside to share what I had found with Rich and JD. They were excited beyond my expectations. I was the kid that was always hanging out and now I'm the giddy full grown man who had rekindled that part of his life.

Sold it at the National in 2002. Still stings I let that go.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 13

dxoldman

May 27, 2010
09-10 Michael Jordan Exquisite Rookie Patch w/Autograph /23. Bought one box, Sold for over 6k. Man, do I miss that card.

LecavalierFan

Apr 11, 2010
Virginia
Not baseball, but hockey.

Back in the 2004-05 hockey lockout, I got a case of SP Authentic. First case I'd ever purchased and opened. Got quite a few nice cards that I sold for decent money, along with the Rookie Redemptions they put in since there was no rookie crop to speak of. Pulled the Pittsburgh redemption, and sold it before the 2005 draft. I sold the redemption for $60, now the Crosby goes for a few hundred. Whoops.

I wish I still had my case of 2011 Topps Value Boxes. I was happy to double my money. I have one left from that case.

That Trout Orange though... man. I was in residency when that product came out, and didn't get back into collecting until after my fellowship in 2010/2011.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
My double 1996 Select Certified Mirror Blue Jeter at the time I recently bought a PSA 10 copy for $2200 and the PSA 8 wasn’t selling for $1500.00 ended up trading it now a PSA 7 sold for $7k and a PSA 9 for $20k that would probably put me right at $12k to $15k in a sale for a card I initially paid $200 for oh well still have my PSA 10 copy. I finally believe the Mirror Blue and Red have caught up with the Mirror Gold to the point people are paying major money for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online