Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So if you could have 1 item back that you used to have, what would it be?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
I might as well go first since I created the thread. And honestly it is inspired by deaconblues63 and his 1st graded thread, proudly touting and deservedly so, his Bowman Sterling Mike Trout Auto 9.5.

So as some of you know I stepped away from the hobby from 2012 until I got back into it last spring. I didn't even frequent the message boards here for many years. I don't even know if I have shared this story since I started frequenting the boards again last year.
Anywhoo, the last card show I did before my hiatus was the National in Baltimore in 2012. I had a 2009 Bowman Draft Baseball 12-box Unopened Factory-Sealed Case which was hot at the time. Yes you heard that right, it was an Unopened, Factory Sealed 12-box Hobby Case of 2009 Bowman Draft Baseball. I sold it at the show for a really good price at the time..... $2,000. That was pretty much top dollar for it.
So when I got back into the hobby last year and looked at his prices I almost fell over because I had sold some of his base rookie auto's back in that time frame for $200 and refractor auto's for $300, and now they're worth thousands!
So back to the case, I was happy to get $2,000 for it as I paid around $750 as I recall, so that was a really nice profit and I couldn't complain.
Now for the really sad part of the story, the last unopened Hobby box of this product that I saw sell, sold for $4,000 by Steel City Collectibles. There's one seller on eBay who currently has one listed and he's asking $6,499.90 for it.
IF I had simply walked away from the hobby a few months earlier and had held that case until today, after talking to several people in the know, we surmise that that case could be worth upwards of between $60,000-$75,000 and perhaps more. There certainly can't be many out there and someone with big pockets would more than likely pay dearly for it.
So yeah I wish I had it back but I don't dwell on it anymore everyday. I've finally managed to have completely gotten over it at this point. Matter of fact it doesn't bother me at all now, no not one single bit! That is as long as I keep remembering to faithfully take my medication each and every day! ... !!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
I wish I had kept one Topps unopened baseball pack from when I was a kid in the late 60's. Not because of the value now. Just to have something like that.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I wish I had kept one Topps unopened baseball pack from when I was a kid in the late 60's. Not because of the value now. Just to have something like that.

I have something similar - 1985 Topps unopened wax pack. I don't know how the heck I didn't open it in 1985 but I found it going through some things while cleaning up so it's something of my younger hobbyhood that I can enjoy having unopened.

as for the item I wish I had back, 2011 Topps Update Mike Trout RC gold as I could have gotten more money than the $70 I seem to recall selling it for.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Continuing the 2009 Draft trend, I used to own a Trout Orange Auto. Bought it for $60 when Draft first came out. Sold for about $600 a couple of years later. Today, it would easily bring in six figures. I will never forget this as long as I live.

Trout Orange.jpg

Last edited:

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
I have something similar - 1985 Topps unopened wax pack. I don't know how the heck I didn't open it in 1985 but I found it going through some things while cleaning up so it's something of my younger hobbyhood that I can enjoy having unopened.

Around 1995 or so, on Ebay I won a PSA graded 1985 Topps baseball pack. Instead of the wax pack being red. It was white. The printing and lettering was all correct for the pack.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I really never get rid of too many things and often when I did, it was a duplicate. I can't really think of anything I got rid of that was unique except for the Fleer Prototype pieces/set that I won on ebay. It was the presentation boards with the Ultra prototypes featuring Frank Thomas, Barry Larkin, Jose Canseco and Will Clark. I cut it town to singles and parted all out except I still have the Thomas cards. I also traded off the presentation board that showed 1992 Fleer prototypes. No star power, just a cool item. It helped me get a 1982 Fleer Garvey prototype sheet though, so no regrets!

Probably the biggest regret then would be to break up a set of prototype Extra Bases game cards. I sold off most, but kept Piazza and the 2 Thomas cards. Later, when I needed some cash, I sold the 2 Thomas cards. Of the original set, I still have Piazza and a few random singles that didn't sell the first time. I also still have all the notes and literature that came with the set, explaining the game and such. It was a neat set, but oversized and had some condition issues from how it was stored, but still wouldn't mind having the entire set back.P1010017_2-1.jpg1995 Game Breakers P16 F.jpg

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
Continuing the 2009 Draft trend, I used to own a Trout Orange Auto. Bought it for $60 when Draft first came out. Sold for about $600 a couple of years later. Today, it would easily bring in six figures. I will never forget this as long as I live.

View attachment 89244
Ouch! That's one hell of a fish!! Man, I feel your pain, at least a huge part of it anyway. I'll ship you some of my meds FedEx Overnight ASAP!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

WaxPax

Never should have let this one get away..... #'d/25

9uBMNIQh.jpg

Last edited:

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
As a collector, I wish I didnt sell off my graded 62 topps collection. I was going for the set and I had around 200 cards all PSA 7 or higher. I had most of the bigger named players already. The set started getting a little too expensive for me.

From a pure monetary standpoint. I remember Cgilmo wanting to unload a case of cards. I think it was back when he had his shop. Anyway he only wanted $500 so I figured what the heck, it would be a fun break.

This case was 2011 Topps Update jumbo and I sold the Trouts way too early. And now boxes look to be 3-4K a peice.

I tell myself that It wouldnt have mattered because I would have never been able to keep the wax sealed but it's still frustrating.

Oh well, **** happens.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

EtherealSOC

Dec 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
I also traded off the presentation board that showed 1992 Fleer prototypes.

1992 Fleer Ultra or base Fleer? If it's base Fleer I remember it selling on eBay and kicking myself since it had Justice and I let it go. I've never seen it since. If you have a pic I would be incredibly grateful!

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
1969 Topps Reggie Jackson RC.

My dad was cleaning out his old room at my grandparents' house and came across a stack of cards, which he sent to me. I was only 10 at the time so my baseball knowledge wasn't that great and I remember gong through a recent copy of Beckett just to see what cards he sent me that were valuable. After going through about 20 different players, I came across Reggie Jackson. At the time, BV was over $600 and you can bet that I wasted no time putting it into a penny sleeve and toploader. I called my dad and told him about it and he didn't believe me until he came back home and I showed him.

Unfortunately, my uncle's ex-wife had 4 kids who were always over and while I'm not sure who it was exactly, the card went missing after they left.

I know I can buy a raw copy and all that to replace it, but the sentimental value of the card is something that can't be replaced.

Verdammt

Feb 4, 2014
Wichita, KS
Back in the late 80s, my brother and I were given some old baseball cards ranging from '55 to '59. There wasn't a lot there, but it was definitely quality over quantity. I sold a 9-pocket sheet at my local card store for $100. That was a lot of money for a 17 year old back then. I don't remember every card that was in that sheet, but I do remember there being a 55 Koufax, a 55, 56 and 57 Mantle and a 55 Clemente. I wish I had that back.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
A thread that is no doubt, likely to be filled with Trout horror stories :) I'm in that boat as well - I had probably a couple dozen 2011 Topps Update value boxes, as well as an 09 BC Blue refractor auto. As for Canseco cards - I miss having a handful of them, though one of my favorites is fixing to get replaced today, if it comes in the mail :) GREAT topic, might I add!

Members online