Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Sons of Hall of Famers in the Major Leagues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
With Biggio's son being called up and Vlad's son in the Majors, I wonder if more than two sons of Hall of Famers have ever played MLB at the same time.

Mariano Rivera's son Mariano III never made it past high-A ball and recently retired.
Are there any other Hall of Famers' sons who are top prospects?

Tony Gwynn's son Tony Jr. and Tony Perez's son Eduardo both played in 2006.
Tim Raines' son Tim Jr. also played at the same time as Eduardo Perez, but not with Gwynn Jr.

Other Hall of Famers who had Major League sons were Yogi Berra, George Sisler, Earl Averill, Eddie Collins and a few other old-timers.

deaconblues63

Oct 25, 2012
Tim Raines son made it to the majors.

Although not as players, Lee and Larry MacPhail are the only father and son combination to be enshrined in the Baseball Hall of Fame. They were both baseball executives.

orioles70

Oct 3, 2018
Doesn't look like Cal's son Ryan will ever make the bigs...he is still in A ball and soon to be 26

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Dereck Rodriguez was having some success with the Giants, he’s Ivan Rodriguez’s son.
Dereck's back in the minors now with the Giants Triple-A in Sacramento.
I don’t know how I forgot Pudge’s son.
His last game before being sent down was May 10th, so he played with Vlad Jr., but not Biggio, so there hasn’t been three Hall of Famer’s sons to play together. But when Dereck is called back up they should be the first, as long as Biggio’s son plays well.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
I don’t know how I forgot Pudge’s son.
His last game before being sent down was May 10th, so he played with Vlad Jr., but not Biggio, so there hasn’t been three Hall of Famer’s sons to play together. But when Dereck is called back up they should be the first, as long as Biggio’s son plays well.

no....rodriguez has only been with the giants , never the blue jays so he's never played with vlad or biggio at any level....the 3 2nd generation players they had together (who did all homer in the same game last summer) were vlad jr , cavan biggio , and bo bichette (though obviously not the son of a hof'er).....all 3 will likely be together in toronto this season....

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
It is interesting that there are so few familiy combos where more than one player really excelled. There are examples, such as the DiMaggio, Waner, Perry or Dean brothers, Cecil & Prince Fielder, Bobby & Barry Bonds, Ken & Ken Griffey or even the Boone's that has 3 generations of fairly successful players (Ray, Bob, Bret), where at least 2 familiy members had decent to great careers. Most either had a really good sibling, dad or son, but not both.

Lots of flop examples where one clearly excelled and the other not so much: Ryan, Rose, Garvey, Aaron, Averill and several others already mentioned above.

Probably several cases where even both made the bigs, but neither excelled. Nothing is coming to mind at the moment though.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Pudge's son Dereck is back up with the Giants, so that makes three HOFers' sons and one grandson in the Majors.
Likely the only time in MLB history that's happened.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The Blue Jays drafted Roy Halladay's son, Braden, yesterday.
But it was basically a memorial pick, since Braden is committed to Penn State, so there won't be three Hall of Famers' sons playing for Toronto unless they draft him again.

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
The Blue Jays drafted Roy Halladay's son, Braden, yesterday.
But it was basically a memorial pick, since Braden is committed to Penn State, so there won't be three Hall of Famers' sons playing for Toronto unless they draft him again.

Also need to point out that it was the 32nd round, and Halladay wore 32 for the Jays. And the Jays already knew that Braden was going to honor his commitment to Penn State.

Members online