Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The End of An Era

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
In today's age of swipes, clicks, and taps on smart screens, collectors can navigate through the world wide web like a knife thru hot butter to find their hobby needs. It's easy, fast, and you don't even have to leave your parents basement to do it. But for some of the older, die hards like me, there is nothing better than being able to walk into your local card shop and plop down on a stool or a chair and talk hobby talk. Back in the day, it seemed that every town had a shop or some small hole in the wall gathering spot where card enthusiasts could find refuge and rub elbows with other collectors to pass the time. As time passed, these locales woud start to dry up like an August riverbed in the middle of the desert.

Unlike many on here, I have been very fortunate to have a hobby shop that has endured the eb and flow of the hobby tide over the years. My shop owner has been in the business since the mid 80's in an area that has lived on cardboard like many might live on pizza and beer. He has relocated a few times over the years, but with every move, he has found a way to sustain with the ever changing hobby. As is the case with everything, age starts to take its toll and you start to slow down. Well, that "age bug" finally has caught up with my LCS. I was on break from work Thursday, and decided to stop in to my guy's place to see how he was doing. He greated me with some smart ass comment like he always does.....something that makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside....like Norm or Cliff at the Cheers bar. It seemed to be just another day in paradise.....it SEEMED.....yeah.

As I made small talk about the relentless heat and seemingly bone dry weather we have had lately, I could tell something was a little off with him. I normally do a once over to make sure that everything in the shop is in order. Wax stocked on the shelf, cards under glass, supplies, Becketts, the "we kill packsearchers" sign up on the wall. Yep, everything seemed in order. But I still felt that something was wrong. He didn't have that sly glint in his eyes that he normally does. I asked about his wife, and how he was feeling. He's been dealing with some stuff over the past handful of years that have set him back a little but he's always managed through it like a champ. I've always worried about him over doing it but he recently hired a part time guy that has a pretty good wealth of knowledge in the hobby and I thought that might offest some of his workload and allow him to focus on home and keep some of his stress levels down. As I said, something was off that day. He said, sit down, I need to talk to you. Oh boy here we go.

As I parked my rump on the not so comfy stool that I always seem to find when I go visit, his head slumped a little. I asked him if he was feeling alright and he just kind of made a half answer of "yeah, I'm ok". I asked him if I needed to do the heimlich maneuver on him or if he needed CPR(fire department humor coming through). I asked him if he had been eating any spicy peanuts or if it was gas that was bothering him. He picked his head up and said, "I'm closed on Saturday". It didn't really seep into my brain what he said. I just responded with "ok, I guess Daniel(the new guy) must have something to do that day and you are tied up with family." Then he said, "no, I'm closing the doors for good on Saturday." WHOA!!!!! Wait a second. Cue the Ron Burgundy "that escalated quickly" memes!!!! My ears perked up and my jaw started to dangle a little......what do you mean???

He proceeded to tell me that he had received an offer from the owner of our other local shop(albeit a newer shop) to buy him out. This other shop made an offer a year ago, but the timing wasn't right and the deal fell thru. He wasn't ready to deal then and I wondered, as did the other regulars, if he was gonna be buried in his coffin within the walls of his long standing cardboard refuge. Well, that answer came Thursday. I sat and listened quietly as he explained his reasoning for taking the offer the second time around. I asked a few questions and of course offered encouragement for his decision as I know the last five years have really taken their toll on him. In the end though, I felt like I had been gut punched. It all seemed so surreal. "This guy has been here for 30+ years. He can't close now! The hobby is as alive and well as it has been in many years! He can't close!!!!"

I got a call from him today asking me to stop by. When I went in, the shop walls were different. The feel of it was different. The other shop owner had been by to pick up all of the wax boxes and many of the higher selling open boxes of packs from the shelf. Wendell had taken down all of the personal effects he had decorated with over the years. The place was taking on the same disorganized look that it had a few years ago when he first moved into that location. I asked him how he was holding up and that I noticed that the new owner had been by to move some things over to his place. He said that it was all happening so fast but that the new owner wanted it that way. He had told me that he was going to be open until the end of the month, but today turned out to be his last day of operation. He said he would be around over the next week or so cleaning and helping with the inventory transfer, but today was the last day he would be "the card shop guy".

You're probably wondering why it has taken so long to write all of this when it could be summed up in one sentence of "local cardshop falls victim to the times and closes forever". This situation, however, touches my heart and will forever stay with me as long as I live. This shop has been as much a part of my life as my aunt Tilly or my career or whatever. I've had great memories, trying times, cried, laughed, and experienced all kinds of things as I've mingled with the patrons at this shop over the years. You could say that it has been my Fortress of Solitude over the last three decades. Just ask my wife. I sometimes think she thinks I have spent more time there than at home(I kid honey, I kid). In all seriousness, this place has just been so special over the years and I hate to see it go. I hate to see him go. He has been like a father figure to me. Even when we've had our ups and downs, its always just seemed like family. Like home. And I'm sure gonna miss the place and miss him.

Going forward, I urge anyone that has a local shop nearby to support it as much as possible. Take in the memories, enjoy the moments, and never take for granted that things won't change because they surely will at some point. Enjoy the shop talk, the cameraderie, the big moments of pulls and trades, and never look back. Show your shops the support they deserve. I know that I am still fortunate to have another local shop to go to if I chose to one day, but it still can't replace the seemingly thousands of wonderful times I've shared with Wendell and the guys at his shop. I gave him a pat on the back and a handshake and thanked him for providing a refuge for all of us collectors over the years. I even said I'd help him move stuff out if he needed an extra hand. As I left, that front door slammed for the last time. The end of an era, but a WELL deserved retirement. Good luck my friend.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
When I was in Greensboro, I had Cards at the Cages. When I moved to Louisiana I had Penny's and another shop I can't remember the name of. When I moved back to North Carolina, I had Paper Heroes, The Batter's Box, B&W, The Card Shop and a couple others. Now.....only two locally within an hour of my house. I am fortunate but it is still upsetting to see one close.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
The card shop I deal with is still in business after 35 years and even though I am down here in So Cal, I call him from time to time to see how things are going and to order some boxes to rip..

He was one of the first ones I called when I retired last week..

I know how you feel as I used to stop by that card shop on my way home and my previous wife said it was my bar..

Good luck in finding another shop that will give you the same feeling..

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Many great memories from my local card shop, too.There were regulars who would just drop in to talk and see what others were buying. The shop owner died suddenly of a heart attack and has been gone for about 20 years. Miss it, but have great memories. Thanks for sharing your story!

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Great write-up! It has been ages since i went to a card shop. Like ... literally 10 years, perhaps, and it was across town. He's still going strong (I just saw him at the show yesterday) but I was never a regular there. My last time as a regular was as a kid, which I have many, many fond memories about!

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
LCS has ZERO sports cards except pack / boxes and only a few newer . i'm contacted about people selling mostly junk years -most when told value walk away --- i still have about ONE MILLION sorted by teams most in alpha order . I'm a local vendor at low "A" stadium , street vendor and Ebay . On one private site of team collectors . Christmas i give away thousands to low income schools . I've been told next nearest Shop is 50 miles away . Games / comics hot but that also will chill later . I enjoy this mainly because i get to meet most minor league players on both teams . This has added 300 signed baseballs / 200 bats and countless autos .
Come see me at local baseball stadium during season -- MIGHT have extra tickets and game used baseball ?

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
I love my LCSs. We have one that’s been around 20+ years and even recently expanded. They do a great job of adapting to changing times, using FB and doing breaks. I think the key is they are honest and fair, which isn’t always the norm these days. One of my favorite things is strolling through a good card shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I purchased a card on ebay late last week and turns out the guy has a shop. His shop is further south than I would normally go in the past, but a change at work now takes me much further south than I have ever wandered before. I never seen to have much time to look around when I am out and about, because getting back in the vicinity of my office at a decent hour is critical, because from there I have 40 miles more to go north to gewt home. I hope to discover a few more shops in the south Puget sound area in the coming months, if there are any more left.

I plan to pick up the card in person next week and check this place out. I won't hold my breath that this will be a new cool place though. Most shops just don't thrill me even if they are still open now. The thrill of cool shops that you could browse random stuff and find hidden deals seem to be mostly gone. There was a time when I first moved in the area and started my job that I would hit a dozen or more shops as I was out in the field. Now, there are only two that I bother to stop at, and one is almost entirely supplies. the other is the one I think [MENTION=1802]Pinbreaker[/MENTION] mentioned, but that one is a heck of a drive for me normally too.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I purchased a card on ebay late last week and turns out the guy has a shop. His shop is further south than I would normally go in the past, but a change at work now takes me much further south than I have ever wandered before. I never seen to have much time to look around when I am out and about, because getting back in the vicinity of my office at a decent hour is critical, because from there I have 40 miles more to go north to gewt home. I hope to discover a few more shops in the south Puget sound area in the coming months, if there are any more left.

I plan to pick up the card in person next week and check this place out. I won't hold my breath that this will be a new cool place though. Most shops just don't thrill me even if they are still open now. The thrill of cool shops that you could browse random stuff and find hidden deals seem to be mostly gone. There was a time when I first moved in the area and started my job that I would hit a dozen or more shops as I was out in the field. Now, there are only two that I bother to stop at, and one is almost entirely supplies. the other is the one I think [MENTION=1802]Pinbreaker[/MENTION] mentioned, but that one is a heck of a drive for me normally too.

The shops I used to frequent up in the PNW.. Baseball Cardshop in South Hill Puyallup was the one I have been doing business with for 35+ years..

https://www.facebook.com/cardshop98373/

DJ's in Renton,

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Collectibles-Store/DJs-Sportscards-103473769711192/

Knutsens Sports Cards before he stopped paying taxes

https://www.facebook.com/NorthwestSportscards/

Some of the other ones are gone, and I have wanted to get up north to Millcreek Sportscards as I have bought stuff from them for over 15 years as well..

https://www.facebook.com/millcreeksports/

I also used to go to West Coast Sports Cards in Federal Way when Beckett would come in for grading..
http://www.westcoastsportscards.org/

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
When I first started collecting in 1990, I went to Bill's Sports Cards in Reading Mass. He was glad to answer all my silly questions. The shops been gone for years. Great stuff.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I thought you might be talking about DJs. I believe the Puyallup store is the one I was talking about. His id is baseballcardshop98373 on ebay. Edit: I see that on his facebook page, same place. I look forward to checking it out for the first time this coming week.

Did NW Sports used to be on Bridgeport Way a few years back? I went to a shop there once and thought it was that one.

The shops I used to frequent up in the PNW.. Baseball Cardshop in South Hill Puyallup was the one I have been doing business with for 35+ years..

https://www.facebook.com/cardshop98373/

DJ's in Renton,

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Collectibles-Store/DJs-Sportscards-103473769711192/

Knutsens Sports Cards before he stopped paying taxes

https://www.facebook.com/NorthwestSportscards/

Some of the other ones are gone, and I have wanted to get up north to Millcreek Sportscards as I have bought stuff from them for over 15 years as well..

https://www.facebook.com/millcreeksports/

I also used to go to West Coast Sports Cards in Federal Way when Beckett would come in for grading..
http://www.westcoastsportscards.org/

Last edited:

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I thought you might be talking about DJs. I believe the Puyallup store is the one I was talking about. His id is baseballcardshop98373 on ebay. Edit: I see that on his facebook page, same place. I look forward to checking it out for the first time this coming week.

Did NW Sports used to be on Bridgeport Way a few years back? I went to a shop there once and thought it was that one.

It originally started out about 100th and Bridgeport Way when it opened in about 1987.. then he moved to about 40th and Bridgeport Way and then about 27th and Bridgeport Way.. last I saw was he was on 6th ave.. but he might have moved..

As for the shop in South Hill, I have known Brian since the early 80's.. If you say you know "pinbreaker" he will know who you are talking about.. He never opened any of his sports cards products as he always wanted his customers to get the good hits, which makes them come back for more..

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I've lost a lot of LCS near me in the NW suburbs of Chicago during the last 20 years. It's hard seeing a shop shutter its doors, especially when the owner is "one of the good ones." But sometimes a store closing is a mercy. The absolute worst is watching an old-timer that loves, respects and collects sports cards himself - the type who grew up collecting cards as a kid and never lost the passion - try to keep their store open by selling Pokemon or Magic the Gathering cards to a new generation. They usually hate the product, are not too fond of the clientele, and stand miserably behind the counter at Saturday in-store tournaments. You talk to them about baseball and they get a small glint in their eye, but then lament that it used to be 90% sports and 10% entertainment sales, but now is flipped 80% entertainment and 20% sports - if they're lucky. It kills me to know these guys have to sell Pikachu or whatever crap to keep the doors marginally open, when I know deep inside it's killing them.

Like other's have said, support your LCS or lose them. I sure miss mine.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
Card shops need to start selling online as well. What kills them is the prices as you will pay more there than you do online. What hurts them for me is I only collect 90’s cards and they normally have mostly new cards. Internet is hurting business for them just like Amazon is hurting stores, didn’t Sears close shop because of online stores like Amazon who you can get the same items for half the price and it’s delivered to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
[MENTION=1802]Pinbreaker[/MENTION], I met Brian today. Seems like a nice guy. Love all the old Seattle posters he has up in the place. A little too far for me to travel just because, but if I am in the area and have time, I would stop again. He might benefit from having more stuff out in cases or shelves, but he probably knows his clientele well enough to know what needs to be displayed.

As far as shops needing to compete with online businesses, that is true. However, online includes shipping costs on top of the purchase price and that can add up fast, plus it can and mostly is impersonal. If a shop can come close to online wax pricing and offer incentive (convenience, selection, no wait, personal interaction, frequent buyer bonuses, etc) for people to show up to the shop, they can win a fair chunk of business.

I asked Brian today about his gaming section, as it seems to exist in nearly all sportscard shops these days and sounds like it really needs to be there for most. He said it was not a huge part of his business, but it definitely helps him keep the doors open. Still, it seems he has a strong sports wax business to carry most of the weight. I know I would probably be one of those old schoolers who would try my best to resist the other non-sports stuff, mainly because I have zero interest in it. However, if it makes you money at some point, you almost have to cave in on just about anything (Beanies, Funko, Bobbles, SLUs, Pokemon, etc) if you are a physical retail business in order to keep the doors open.