Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bunt to break up a no-no?

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    618 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bunt to break up a no-no?

So the Yardgoats were pitching a combined no hitter against the Trenton Thunder yesterday, when, with two outs left, Thunder player Matt Lipka bunted up the first base line and the pitcher failed to field it cleanly, resulting in a hit and a broken up no hitter. Then they retired the last two batters, then words were shared, then a near brawl, then everyone went their separate ways...

Hereís an article about it...
    https://deadspin.com/minor-league-be...itt-1835277217

So what says you?
    Do you bunt to break up the no-no, especially that late in the ninth?
    Does a combined no hitter change the circumstances?
    Does a combined no-no even count?
    Do you give the hitter credit where credit is due or do you hit him in the gluteus maximus the next time the two teams face each other?
    Go!

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Bwoodcollector
     @anthonyscorona
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I donít think combined no hitters are enough to get upset about

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Please note: Card collecting is my hobby, not my life. I don't take it that serious and like to keep it fun.

cmcjr99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hitter's job is to get on base....pitcher's job is to get hitters out....nothing wrong with it and i hate all the whining when it does happen....
    I collect any and all South Carolina Gamec0cks in any sport including players and coaches .
    Master set projects
    football : 2000 Finest , 2001 Bowman's Best , 2004 Fleer Tradition`, and 2017 Donruss
    baseball : 2002 Topps Chrome and 2007 Topps
    Claude's Desperate Plea for Help After Dad's Death (pay pal pool)

Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it wrong for the batter not to do everything in his power to get on base.
    Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a hit any way you can. Get on base any way you can.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Local guy Ben Davis did this years ago and Curt Schilling and even more his teammates were pissed...

https://thebaseballcodes.com/categor...p-a-no-hitter/
    Last edited by gt2590; 06-05-2019 at 11:52 PM.
    Don't forget to use the FCB Link when buying on eBay!

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Situation dictates action, if it's 1-0 in the 9th and it's the tying run absolutely, if it's a laugher 7-0 or something than it's just a dick move.
    Also combined no hitters don't really mean anything

tramersfoulball
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's the game of baseball

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if the home team is winning 7-0 as they come to bat in the bottom of the eigth inning knowing they only need 3 outs in the top of the ninth to win the game I guess they should just stand in the batters box with their bats on their shoulders because it would be a dick move to swing and try to get on base?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I was saying is that if it's a close game and you have a good bunter than yeah it's worth a shot. If youre already getting your ass kicked swing away and end a no hitter with some emphasis.
    I don't have a problem with bunting during a no hitter, it just feels crappy if that is the sole intention. I can't think of too many times where a lead off bunt sparked a team to a seven run inning.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bstanwood View Post
    Situation dictates action, if it's 1-0 in the 9th and it's the tying run absolutely, if it's a laugher 7-0 or something than it's just a dick move.
    Also combined no hitters don't really mean anything
    Exactly.

When Ben Davis did it, the score was 2-0. IDK the score when Devon White did it, but the score definitely plays a role in determining the acceptance.

IMO, if it's 6-0 lead or bigger, later in the game, I'd find it weasely, just like a SB up 6+.

Unless it's against NYY, then RUN IT UP! LOL
    Don't forget to use the FCB Link when buying on eBay!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Lipka would've been out, no one would say a word. The journeyman took a gamble and it paid off. Baseball is all about strategy. Who in the hell as a hitter wants to go in the record books as the guy who made the final out? Lipka was hitting below .200 for the season. This game is about survival. He sniffed an easy hit and took the shot.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    R.I.P. Harmon Clayton Killebrew June 29, 1936-May 17, 2011 You will surely be missed!

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatís the difference between bunting to break up a no hitter and putting 7 guys on the right side of the field for a shift?

Resident Yadier Molina, and Pro Wrestling super fan.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Baseball is an amazing sport. I love nuance and strategy. It has such rich history and tradition. Frankly, I don't mind that there are unwritten rules. However, some unwritten rules that take away the full effort of players or discourage their enthusiasm for the game need to go away in my opinion.

The whole, don't bunt on nono is stupid. You give your full effort to get on base, period. No matter how you do it. It's the defense/pitcher's job to prevent that. If they can't, then the accomplishment isn't warranted. As has already been stated, it was a combined no hitter anyway, which is just not the same in my opinion anyway.

I also hate that it's considered horrible for a player to show emotion after a big hit. Let them celebrate, bat flip, admire it fly, whatever. Every other sport celebrates a big play, but hitters can't? Hell, even pitchers get pumped about big moment strikeouts. They pump fists and yell, but a hitter can't be excited about a big hit? In other sports, the line gets drawn at trash talking or denegrading the opposition. As long as the hitter isn't taunting and yelling at the pitcher, I'm fine with more celebrations in baseball.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Collecting Interests
    Justin Upton - need everything not listed here
    Star Autos baseball late 80s - present
    Ohio State baseball/football/basketball autos - 1 per player
    Vintage baseball - mostly pre-war

Photobucket

piledriver1
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They aren't owed an easy out. And I wouldn't care if it everyone on the team took a turn on the mound, I wouldn't want to get no-hit.
    Looking for 2011 Topps Marquee Museum autographs, rare Frank Thomases, and any Grady Sizemores I don't have

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast