User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: New Baseball Card movie on YouTube

  1. #1
    Senior Member BBCgalaxee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,360
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    New Baseball Card movie on YouTube

    Jack of all trades
    Has anyone seen it yet?




    Sent from my SM-G950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

  2. #2
    Senior Member Austin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Posts
    5,614
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched the trailer but haven't decided if I want to pay Youtube $4 for the movie.
    It looks like it's as much of a family drama as it is a baseball card documentary.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

  3. #3
    Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Senior Member
    mouschi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,948
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup! I know the guy - he just announced it is getting picked up on Netflix. It is a good flick
    Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME!

  4. #4
    Senior Member Philip J. Fry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,511
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
    Yup! I know the guy - he just announced it is getting picked up on Netflix. It is a good flick
    Good, I already have Netflix

  5. #5
    Junior Member EtherealSOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    128
     blueberry_12
     Big_Daddy_MC
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought it on iTunes. I applaud the effort, but ultimately it's trying to do two things at once and fails to do either of them really well. Stu Stone appears well-intentioned, but this film dwells so long on the "I thought I'd be rich on junk wax" messaging that it glosses over the fact that many people did get rich during the baseball card boom and the hobby is still alive and thriving in many environments. Stu reminisces about 1986 Donruss and how he busted 1000 packs and failed to pull a single Canseco rookie, but then reminds the audience over and over again that it isn't worth anything anyway. My response? What do you mean it's not worth anything? By your own admission baseball cards bring you back to the best times of your life, to the childhood and the family with whom you desperately wish to reconnect, and a booming family business. Stu spends the entire movie only recognizing value in terms of dollars and cents, and he misses the very point he was trying to make. A tender moment when he clearly uses baseball cards as catharsis and re-connection is relegated to a brief clip during the end credits, and the climax briefly shows how the hobby brought people together - and still brings people together - before Stu destroys this point for the sake on an end scene with a sense of finality.

    A movie about baseball cards and broken families could not be tailored closer to me unless I wrote and starred in it myself, and I'm glad I bought it on iTunes and supported a Canadian documentary film-maker and former baseball card enthusiast. That said, it was such a missed opportunity, since the hobby is the one thread running through so many of the closest relationships in Stu's life - his mother, his sister, and his best friends (who largely make up the film-making team) - but all he sees are his broken dreams of getting rich from the stacks of unopened boxes in his mother's condo. I feel bad for Stu in one sense, since I feel like he ignored how much he has to be grateful for, but I have no sympathy for collectors who stashed cases of junk wax, changing the hobby from a youth-driven novelty to investment-style business, only to find their hoards are barely worth the cardboard they are printed on. When you make it a business you accept the risk that comes with it. If the hobby was responsible for enriching the most important relationships in your life you'd think you could look beyond monetary value and I suspect Stu does have an appreciation for baseball cards that goes deeper than that, it just wasn't captured very well in his story. Jack of All Trades will seem like a must-see for any baseball card collector, but after you watch it you'll feel like you've been shorted a hit.
    Last edited by EtherealSOC; 06-17-2019 at 08:08 AM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Marlton NJ
    Posts
    3,179
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    I watched the trailer but haven't decided if I want to pay Youtube $4 for the movie.
    It looks like it's as much of a family drama as it is a baseball card documentary.
    you have to pay? really? I never knew they did that
    I collect Ken Griffey Jr, Ryan Howard, Steve Carlton and the rest of the Phillies.
    My Site:
    https://bradswebsite.synthasite.com/

    Matthew 21:22
    "And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, believing, you shall recieve."

  7. #7
    Member Letch77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    773
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherealSOC View Post
    I bought it on iTunes. I applaud the effort, but ultimately it's trying to do two things at once and fails to do either of them really well. Stu Stone appears well-intentioned, but this film dwells so long on the "I thought I'd be rich on junk wax" messaging that it glosses over the fact that many people did get rich during the baseball card boom and the hobby is still alive and thriving in many environments. Stu reminisces about 1986 Donruss and how he busted 1000 packs and failed to pull a single Canseco rookie, but then reminds the audience over and over again that it isn't worth anything anyway. My response? What do you mean it's not worth anything? By your own admission baseball cards bring you back to the best times of your life, to the childhood and the family with whom you desperately wish to reconnect, and a booming family business. Stu spends the entire movie only recognizing value in terms of dollars and cents, and he misses the very point he was trying to make. A tender moment when he clearly uses baseball cards as catharsis and re-connection is relegated to a brief clip during the end credits, and the climax briefly shows how the hobby brought people together - and still brings people together - before Stu destroys this point for the sake on an end scene with a sense of finality.

    A movie about baseball cards and broken families could not be tailored closer to me unless I wrote and starred in it myself, and I'm glad I bought it on iTunes and supported a Canadian documentary film-maker and former baseball card enthusiast. That said, it was such a missed opportunity, since the hobby is the one thread running through so many of the closest relationships in Stu's life - his mother, his sister, and his best friends (who largely make up the film-making team) - but all he sees are his broken dreams of getting rich from the stacks of unopened boxes in his mother's condo. I feel bad for Stu in one sense, since I feel like he ignored how much he has to be grateful for, but I have no sympathy for collectors who stashed cases of junk wax, changing the hobby from a youth-driven novelty to investment-style business, only to find their hoards are barely worth the cardboard they are printed on. When you make it a business you accept the risk that comes with it. If the hobby was responsible for enriching the most important relationships in your life you'd think you could look beyond monetary value and I suspect Stu does have an appreciation for baseball cards that goes deeper than that, it just wasn't captured very well in his story. Jack of All Trades will seem like a must-see for any baseball card collector, but after you watch it you'll feel like you've been shorted a hit.
    Excellent write-up and review!
    Wanting to buy '96 Select Certified Mirror Gold baseball...commons & stars

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    2,807
     arturohillo
     arturohillo
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bongo870 View Post
    you have to pay? really? I never knew they did that
    YouTube Premium, formerly know as YouTube Red.
    Edgar Gonzalez Collection: - the 1/1's: 108/111 (97.3%) Have 12 1/1s out of 29
    Jorge Cantu Collection: 487 / 688 (70.78%), 58 1/1s (14 non plates)
    - the 1/1's: 429/443 (96.84%)
    Total Mexican Collection: 4,326
    Mexican autographs: 129/130 and on baseballs 118/130

  9. #9
    Senior Member AnthonyCorona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Modesto, CA
    Posts
    9,402
     Bwoodcollector
     @anthonyscorona
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does the main character trim cards and sell them through PWCC?


    Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Please note: Card collecting is my hobby, not my life. I don't take it that serious and like to keep it fun.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Austin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Posts
    5,614
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll be on Netflix beginning July 16th in the US and November in Canada.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

  11. #11
    Senior Member hive17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    20,064
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm watching this now.

    Just a reminder that it's on Netflix now.

  12. #12
    Senior Member finestkind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,897
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only watched part of it, before it got too lame. Stu had no clue. He didn't do any research on what the cards might be worth before wasting his time going to a show. Then his dysfunctional family doesn't make it much of a baseball card movie. His wife runs over the box of cards in the parking lot at the show. And his idiot brother brings up bad family history in front of Stu's wife and kids at the show. Lame
    I'm Dave ! Dave's not here man.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Austin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Posts
    5,614
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was excited to see this, but within minutes, I was disappointed in this scripted and badly acted "documentary."

    The film begins with a group of people having what looks like a baseball card picnic in a grassy field, opening boxes of '80s and '90s cards with the sun setting. The ending reveals what they’re really doing.

    Then the guy is at the airport "surprising" his mom with a camera crew. The first thing she asks, of course, is when he'll get rid of his childhood boxes of stuff.

    After he discovers his old collection, and despite showing he has decent cards like an '84 Donruss Mattingly and ‘90 Leaf Frank Thomas, he brings a box full of '90 Fleer and Score to a card show and acts shocked when dealers say they're worthless.

    And this is after a ridiculous over-acted scene of the supposed aftermath of those cards being run over by his brother in law in the card show parking lot. Despite the cards supposedly being crushed by the car, only the big cardboard box is smashed, while all of the sets and wax boxes inside are miraculously unharmed seconds later when he has them inside the card show.

    As he and his sister go to see where his dad's old sportscard store was at the strip mall, and as they happily reminisce through bad acting, his friend the director brings up that his dad cheated on his mom with a girl that he hired at the store. They fake argue for awhile, and hold a meeting with the crew and decide to change the film to be about his disfunctional family.

    He goes to interview Jose Canseco, who tells him he knows a guy with the largest Canseco collection he's ever seen. I honestly thought Mouschi would appear, especially since Mouschi said in this thread he knows the guy in the film. But no, the world's biggest Canseco collector is a young guy with a couple hundred junk wax Canseco base cards. And the star acts amazed at how many cards he has.

    The reunion with his dad and the interview were actually real, and it was interesting when he talked about the old card shop and personal stuff. But there was no emotional punch or payoff despite all of the buildup.

    If the film was about the star’s genuine memories and the card boom, without the badly scripted acting and the obnoxiously random home videos of his bar mitzvah literally every few minutes, and instead expanded upon the too-short interviews with Don West and Burbank Sportscards and the Upper Deck employee and Canseco and the tour of Topps, it could have been a cool nostalgic film.

    But it’s filled with phony acting and fake crew meetings and melodramatic family crap. And the ending in which he *spoiler* his entire childhood collection was stupid. Just a disjointed mess and wasted potential.
    Last edited by Austin; 07-23-2019 at 04:45 AM.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4,053
     piledriver1
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dad is a piece of work. Running through his life without a care for anyone else with his ridiculous alibi. I've known several people who were in the Holocaust and their children, and I never saw anyone use it as an excuse for being such an a-hole. Especially the children of the survivors. But everyone's different, I guess.

    People may be going into this with the wrong mindset. It's not a documentary about baseball cards, though the 80s boom and 90s bust were covered just enough to allow non-collectors a little context. But it's a home video about a guy and his dad and family, and cards are just a part of his childhood, not a whole lot larger than anyone else's, because they represent his connection with his dad. Once his dad was no longer part of his life, neither were the cards. But I found it totally believable that the first thing his mom asked him about was getting his crap out of her place.

    I did find it interesting the way they interviewed, however briefly, industry people and the only one who claimed to have no knowledge whatsoever of UD overprinting the Griffey rookie was the UD rep. His credibility was, let's say, strained, even in his non-denial denial.

    On the whole, pretty average. The forced way the filmmaker provoked reactions from Stu were heavyhanded and cringeworthy. But once they got past that it moved along and you got to know the people and the hobby a bit.
    Looking for 2011 Topps Marquee Museum autographs, rare Frank Thomases, and any Grady Sizemores I don't have

  15. #15
    Administrator moxacaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    17,325
     moxacaine
     moxacaine
    Mentioned
    262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not good. I made the mistake of paying money to watch it on Amazon awhile back.

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •