Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frankie Montas suspended 80 games

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    618 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frankie Montas suspended 80 games

In stunning news, Major League Baseball has issued an 80-game suspension to Athletics ace Frankie Montas for performance-enhancing drug use, Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports. Montas tested positive for banned substance Ostarine, according to Sam Dykstra of MLB.com.

Advertisement
    The As were disappointed upon learning of this suspension, the team said in a statement. We fully support MLBs Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program and we will welcome Frankie back after the discipline has been served.

Montas issued a statement of his own (via MLBPA Communications), saying, in part, While I never intended to take any prohibited substance, I unfortunately and unknowingly ingested a contaminated supplement that I had purchased over-the-counter at a nutrition store here in the United States.

The 26-year-old added that he accepts responsibility for the ban and hopes to contribute to the As later in the season.

Montas, whos earning $560K this year, wont be paid during his suspension. More importantly for Oakland, though, he wont be eligible for the postseason if the team clinches a berth. At 40-36, the As are just one game out of the ALs second wild-card spot.

Advertisement
    The As are in contention this season thanks in no small part to Montas, who performed like an ace in 2019 prior to this shocking development. In what will go down as his last start for at least a few months, the hard-throwing right-hander tossing eight innings of one-run, nine-strikeout ball in a win over the Rays on Thursday. It was the fourth straight quality start for Montas, owner of a sterling 2.70 ERA/2.86 FIP with 9.7 K/9, 2.1 BB/9 and a 50.8 percent groundball rate in 90 innings this season.

Should they stay in contention leading up to the July 31 trade deadline, the Athletics will have a chance to acquire starting help. However, its hard to believe anyone theyd acquire would make an impact similar to that of Montas, whos near the top of the majors in most starting stats this year. The club does have important injury reinforcements working back including Sean Manaea and Jesus Luzardo who figure to make life easier for the Athletics once they return. However, any way you look at it, the loss of Montas is a devastating shot to the As rotation. It could have a significant effect on the AL playoff race as a result.

(Copied from Mlb TradeRumors)

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Bwoodcollector
     @anthonyscorona
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having a great year, wonder why

Please note: Card collecting is my hobby, not my life. I don't take it that serious and like to keep it fun.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency website:

Ostarine is the trademarked name for a Selective Androgen Receptor Modulator (SARM) that is not approved for human use or consumption in the U.S.

Yeah sure, Frankie, we believe you "bought this over the counter at a health food store in the United States."
    Just admit you cheated and got caught and people will have more respect for you.

I wonder if players' lawyers or agents, or the Players Association, is telling players never to admit the truth for some reason.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's easier to lie than to tell the truth. Or, play dumb in his case.
    I'm Dave ! Dave's not here man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    From the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency website:

Ostarine is the trademarked name for a Selective Androgen Receptor Modulator (SARM) that is not approved for human use or consumption in the U.S.

Yeah sure, Frankie, we believe you "bought this over the counter at a health food store in the United States."
    Just admit you cheated and got caught and people will have more respect for you.

I wonder if players' lawyers or agents, or the Players Association, is telling players never to admit the truth for some reason.
    Not as bad as the NFL where every player gets suspended for "adderall".

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are grown men. They know the rules, what they can or cannot take or use.

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is absurd how many people use the excuse "I didn't knowingly take anything" with all the resources at their disposal, but at some point shouldn't the unions of these various sports try to work with US anti doping, FDA and maybe some other institutions to more strictly regulate supplements and such? Being in track and field I go to some meets that there is a potential for a test so I've looked into this a little. The supplement industry is fairly unchecked. If I was paying dues to a supposedly powerful union I'd tell them to help out in that regard.

joey_baseball
     joey12524
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ostarine is the trademarked name for a Selective Androgen Receptor Modulator (SARM) that is not approved for human use or consumption in the U.S., or in any other country. In recent years, WADA has reported an increasing number of positive tests involving SARMs, and athletes who use these substances most likely obtain them through black market channels.

Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn it Frankie, you just ****ed up my near perfect fantasy rotation!! Next season, try harder not to get caught...you should know by now that it's not considered cheating, just as long as you don't get caught.

My dynasty team is balls out crazy good this year...in fact, almost perfect. Riding a nine week winning streak with a 10-1 record overall. Losing Montas (and Paddack struggling) is really gonna hurt my dreams of winning 10 in a row. This is my leagues 5th season and it would be an all-time record. Already broke the record for points scored in a weekly matchup...need another a trophy record under my team's name!

Somehow I managed to make a thread about a doping pitcher who was having a breakout season all about my fantasy team. Please excuse my derailment, I just love bragging about the year I have (cuz I have no real-life friends to brag to and my imaginary ones are already worn out about it...sad face, sit on my facepalm, rosypalms, sad face)
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> https://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure seem to be a lot of contaminated supplements out there

ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Bombjack View Post
    Sure seem to be a lot of contaminated supplements out there
    Why can't I ever buy a bottle of Tylenol that was just once contaminated with Vicodin or oxy? Some people have all the luck I tell ya....
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> https://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff

Pinbreaker
     pinbreaker
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am surprised that after years of suspensions for various over the counter drugs, that the teams don't have a rule that you only get team approved additives.

Then if they are still found to have some in their system, that the team should be responsible.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by death2redemptions View Post
    Why can't I ever buy a bottle of Tylenol that was just once contaminated with Vicodin or oxy? Some people have all the luck I tell ya....
    I guess your too young. You missed this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Tylenol_murders

ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by finestkind View Post
    I guess your too young. You missed this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Tylenol_murders
    Yeah, that was a year before I was born but come to think of it, I do believe I've seen an Investigation Discovery documentary or two on it before. They never caught the guy right?

I don't think cyanide contaminated Tylenol would be as fun as an opioid contaminated bottle of Tylenol though...just my opinion. Then again, I've never tried cyanide before, so who's to say?

Bwoodcollector
     @anthonyscorona
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by death2redemptions View Post
    Yeah, that was a year before I was born but come to think of it, I do believe I've seen an Investigation Discovery documentary or two on it before. They never caught the guy right?

I don't think cyanide contaminated Tylenol would be as fun as an opioid contaminated bottle of Tylenol though...just my opinion. Then again, I've never tried cyanide before, so who's to say?
    If not now then when?

Please note: Card collecting is my hobby, not my life. I don't take it that serious and like to keep it fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast