User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oakland Athletics Collectors Thread

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oakland Athletics Collectors Thread

I thought I'd start an A's collecting thread (I searched and didn't find one) for people to share their collections, I know there are a few A's collectors around.

Personally I only scan my new cards about twice a year so I can't really contribute to the monthly pickup threads. I have a ton of stuff still unscanned (mostly players from the last 10-15 years) but I do have a large amount of cards scanned and am trying to add scans when I can...it's a pain in the butt editing those things.

So blah blah blah, I thought I'd start the thread with my oldest cards, my T206 Philadelphia Athletics. The Home Run Baker is still on my wantlist and I am missing some more minor players (and I'll obviously never own the Plank) but I've built a nice little collection.

Other A's collectors (or those that just happen to own some cool A's cards) please feel free to show your cards!

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the "Big 3" in your Sig.

I don't have much but will post a bit later.

Looking for Chapman GQ boxtopper...
    Don't forget to use the FCB Link when buying on eBay!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gt2590 View Post
    Love the "Big 3" in your Sig.
    I should update my sig some day, I have better scans to work with now that I upgraded from my crappy old LED scanner to something that makes Refractors look a lot better:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of the 'Big 3', here's their complete run of Bowman Chrome Gold Refractors from when they were all in the same set with the A's...conveniently leaving out the 1999 pre-Zito set since I don't have the Hudson. Retro/Future Refractors are the substitute for Golds in 2000. For some reason I picked up a signed 2001 Zito and haven't bothered to replace it yet.

And as a bonus, the 2005's.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just finished scanning my Brett Anderson cards (as a team collector...they can't all be stars) and I realized I have far too many Printing Plates. At least I managed to not double up with any different colors of the same card.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The A's had another three decent pitchers in the late 00's/early 10's, but not anywhere near the Big 3. Here's a near-complete run of their Topps Blacks, minus the 2010 Brett Anderson and Cahill's from 2018 Update when he made a return to the A's.

2009 Heritage Black Refractors bonus:

Bwoodcollector
     @anthonyscorona
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loving this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Please note: Card collecting is my hobby, not my life. I don't take it that serious and like to keep it fun.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyCorona View Post
    Loving this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Thanks! All are welcome to show off any of their A's cards, though I do have enough myself to keep the thread going for a few months, or years, or decades.

Now let's go back in time to the 90's to show some Super Sweet 1993 Stadium Club First Day Issues. I do still need the Rickey (as is the case with a lot of 90's inserts) and I don't have several of mine scanned, but here's the pictures I do have:

(not pictured: Eric Fox, Kevin Campbell, Vince Horsman, Lance Blankenship, Jerry Browne, and Henry Mercedes)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With somebody on another thread happening upon a pile of 1990 Donruss Aqueous cards, I guess I should show off my ONE Aqueous:

Not sure why it's a 6, it doesn't look bad. Oh well I pay for what the card looks like to me, not for the grade, so I guess I saved some money on this one.

But as long as we're on the subject of overproduction-era test cards, another real tough set is 1988 Topps Cloth. Only have one of those, too:

Last edited by Dilferules; 07-04-2019 at 02:07 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always have loved the test/prototypes. Here's a few more from the mac collection:

'88 cloth bash bro's test

blue/white '90 test

aqueous '90 test

refractor finish tests '97 - I have one more of these I still need to scan

Mark McGwire Collector
    Current mini set chases:
    1998 Tek Diffractors (need 41 patterns)
    1998 Tek Pre-Production Blue (86)
    1998 Tek Pre-Production Gold (5,8,23,50,59,62,65,77)
    1999 Tek Gold /10 (7A pattern: 24), (7B patterns: 4, 28)
    2014 Tek (Black/White Auto Proof /1) and (any remaining unique buybacks)
    1999 Ultimate Victory Parallels (151, 152)
    1998 Donruss Crusade Purple Samples/Prototypes (two different, See examples here)
    View Collection: 5600+ unique cards
    View Full Statistics
    Need List

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DROOL, that Cloth bash brothers card is probably the top 80's card I want.

I think I said earlier in the thread that I collect based on how the card looks to me, and not the grade...and here that's proven by my rookie cards of the 1970's dynasty:

Bonus: One of my absolute favorite multi-player game-used cards, precisely because it doesn't have the usual suspects of Reggie, Catfish, and Rollie but instead focuses on guys who didn't have much GU:

2004 UD Legends Timeless Teams Team Terrific Game Used Team Logo #TT-OA Bert Campaneris/Billy North/Billy Williams/Joe Rudi/Gene Tenace/Sal Bando 015/100

As far as I can tell the several variations of this card are the only GU cards made for Billy North, not sure what UD did with the rest of his bat since they only used about 200 of those tiny pieces. Tenace has a couple of bat cards in 2001 UD Vintage, Campy/Rudi/Bando have a decent variety of GU but not a ton, and I imagine Billy Williams has a load of GU as a HOFer but not many are with the A's.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2006: Come on guys, you signed on the wrong sides of the card, that looks terrible.

2007: Good job, guys.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my favorite pickups over the past year, what I think is Miguel Tejada's top "rookie card" depending on your definition:

Plus some other goodies from 1997 and 1998 Donruss Signature:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up with a suspiciously large amount of 2005 Prime Patches stuff, I think it's a set a lot of people don't care for because it was a sticker/jersey dump during Donruss/Playoff's last year having an MLB license. Plus they aren't especially attractive. I wonder if some of these were originally backdoored or something.

2/6, 18/30

08/75, 07/59, 08/35

4/5, 29/52, 18/25, 069/100

27/48, 117/117, 085/330, 04/72

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast