Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Are we always so reactionary?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I feel as though I am asking rhetorically, as I am pretty certain I know the answer to be a resounding YES, but I will still share my thoughts. This hobby seems to live and die on the actions from players on (and often times off) the field. That makes sense for the most part, but at some level some of us still collect for the fun, completion or whatever drives you to collect aside from profit or having to have the "IT" item.

Case in point is the Dodgers pitcher Tony Gonsolin. Now I have to admit that I was seeking a signed card late in the game only because I can't possibly keep up with all of the players that may or may not make the team. I tried half-heartedly during the offseason and ended up with a lot of autographs of players who were traded, released or are trapped in the minors. This does me little good and is a waste of money as well. I did it in hopes of not missing out on the next expensive prospect auto though. Obviously it is best to wait until they play if you are looking to capture a signature of any player appearing on a specific team. I also collect Dodger cards that are signed, even if the player never makes the team or plays in the bigs, but only if the card is a Dodger card. However, when you wait for the sure thing, then you might fall victim to what I am about to describe.

Anyway, I heard that Donsolin was being called up and went looking to see if he had any signed cards. I was completely oblivious to the guy prior to hearing the news. Sure enough, he has at least one, Donruss Elite, with a plethora of parallels. I think great, I should be able to grab one for a couple bucks and call it good. I check and find none on ebay and all of them on comc are what I considered to be absurdly priced. I check sold ebay listings and see a BUNCH that sold in the last 1-2 months for small to mid range prices. Then, a copy /25 lists on ebay before his debut. Certainly it was done purposefully to capture the hype of his upcoming debut. I watch it and hope to nab it. I am pretty sure by the time he made his debut though, the card had already previously ended. It sold for $31! Pure hype for sure.

Not more than a month back, 2 copioes of the same card /25 sold in a lot for under $15. Now the guy, on the verge of his MLB debut gets a super boost and someone (well, at least 2 people) is willing to pay $31 for this card now. He ends up with the L after giving up 6 runs in 4 innings. For my sake, here is to hoping that the hype is momentarily stopped by his poor outiong, but we all know that is not going to happen.

I shake my head at this. I know it is human nature, but I still find it funny. Maybe the guy does something special and turns into another Kershaw and I wish I had spent $31, but odds are better he will end up like a Yimi Garcia and I can buy one for $2 if I wait long enough. After all, he is 25 already and certainly doesn't look like a ballplayer! Sigh, the risks of buying anything related to a "prospect". I hate this part of the hobby and am glad I only feel obligated to partake when it comes to Dodger autographs. I wouldn't wish this type of buying experience on my enemies.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 7.48.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 7.48.52 PM.png
    127.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 7.49.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 7.49.05 PM.png
    121.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 2ebb6c80_mlbam.jpg
    2ebb6c80_mlbam.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 90

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
FOMO is and always has been real, even before there was an acronym for it. An unheralded callup for a major team like the Dodgers is going to garner interest, especially for a guy with little selection on the market. Consider that you only went looking for a Gonsolin auto after hearing the news he was being called up. That's what other people did, and they acted quicker than you and spent more than you would have. The only difference is how much, not what.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
As I admitted, I was late to the party in this case, but I also explain that it is common for me to pick up ANY Dodger autograph I need, regardless of potential or skills. That is the completionist speaking. If I had more time to research and was willing to continue to dole out $$ for guys in the Minors or recent free agency signings that will probably not make the team, then I would not miss any. I guess in my case, I react in the opposite. Although I now need a Gonsolin auto to complete my collection of Dodgers, I refuse to pay a premium because he is just now on the team. The odds are in my favor that his prices will dip, if not crash and I am patient. I had to look up FOMO, by the way.

As for the death thing, that is another aspect that in intriguing. Obviously it is best to beat that one before it happens, but a lot of the prices will equalize back to pre-death prices. Especially if a player signed a lot. Anyone getting right of Doerr yet?

There are many triggers and another that is popular, but maybe not discussed as often if when the newest HOF ballots are announced. The potential for a new person (although odds are that most have figured out the potential was there long ago) to make the Hall, requiring many collectors to add that person to complete their collection often triggers craziness too. In the case of some of the ***** League players who were long deceased and finally recognized, the market was created instantly and supply was nearly non-existant.

The next 5 years for the regular HOF classes look to be unusually weak, but the old timers may have some sleepers...

FOMO is and always has been real, even before there was an acronym for it. An unheralded callup for a major team like the Dodgers is going to garner interest, especially for a guy with little selection on the market. Consider that you only went looking for a Gonsolin auto after hearing the news he was being called up. That's what other people did, and they acted quicker than you and spent more than you would have. The only difference is how much, not what.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I often find myself overpaying for the first Brewers branded item of middle relievers that often might quickly get sent down or released as well as aging foreign born players that could get released and move back home lol
I definitely worry more about those types than young prospects who should give me plenty of chances down the road!

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
and then there is this opposite case. One of the most underappreciated players the hobby has ever choser to mostly ignore! The man had an amazing baseball career and recently died, yet you can still grab certified autographs of his for under $10! Yes, anyone who sells in any quantity should be worshipping the ground reactionary buyers walk upon. They keep you afloat.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-Colle...sh=item2f2d8290a4:g:rDUAAOSwVVlcjUgA&LH_BIN=1

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
I live and die by the hype. Since I am so active in the Astros community, I'll time live sales with plays on the field. I've moved at least five Tyler White autographs at $25. It is all about timing.

But I do not sell on eBay, so my sales don't really get considered in the market value.

Members online