Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My bobblehead adventure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Well, not exactly an adventure. It was more of a minor effort to add the latest Steve Garvey bobblehead to my collection. I have said this before and will repeat it here again, I am not a fan of bobbleheads. In fact, the only toy-like item I have ever really liked was the Starting Line-Ups. Unfortunately, Garvey never got one of those. That said, I find it harder to spend too much on a bobblehead. I am one of those collectors that tries to get one of everything for my player collection though, regardless of how dumb I think it is.

The bobble was given out June 1st 2019 at Dodger Stadium. I don't recall when I became aware of the propmotion, but it was not too much before the giveaway date. There were a number of presell listings on ebay and I am pretty sure that the FIRST listing I saw for one was close to $60! I watched in amazement as bobble after bobble presold at prices I would never consider paying. Now I am pretty familiar with the Garvey market on ebay. It is where I do most of my trasacting, but this was confusing to me. Obviously the buyers were not the typical ebay buying Garvey fans. It seemed that the world was filled with bobble head collectors who either needed Garvey as well or were fans of his too.

The giveaway date came and the presells turned into people at the stadium, bobble freshly in hand, photo taken at their seat or even at the gate, instantly listing their new prize on ebay! I wondered if ANYONE went to the game for a bobble that they planned to keep? The numbers on ebay were growing, yet they were still selling for $35-50 or more it appeared. most were being listed at $15+ with s/h around $10+. A few started lower, but would usually break into the $20+ range by auction end. Many BIN listings were nailed at prices in the $30+. I sniped a few and lost every time. A couple weeks passed and I wondered if I was going to have to pay more than I really wanted to or risk missing out. I was pretty confident that even if I missed the initial offerings, a few would pop up every couple of weeks anyway, as the older ones still do on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=200&LH_Complete=1&_fosrp=1

The first Garvey bobble was a SGA in 2002. Another was given away in 2006. Then in 2014, they did a 4 player mini piece and now in 2019, the latest offering. I am not aware of any others and no Padres Garvey bobblehead version exists to my knowledge other than a prototype I won on ebay years ago. At least thart is how it was described. maybe it was just a custom piece. have never seen or heard of another, so either way, it was unique. As much as I don't care for them, I needed to win a 2019 to keep the streak alive. My goal was to get oine for under $20 delivered, but that was looking less and less likely as I continued to see them sell very well.

http://1978theyearitallbegan.blogspot.com/2015/03/prototype-bobblehead.html

Today I finally completed my adventure. A snipe bid paid off and I was the winner at $13.50! This may be the lowest one has sold for yet, so I was pretty happy about that. I will have to kick in $10.99 for s/h and thanks to ebay and the fed, I will get to kick in another $2 or so for tax. I didn't quite meet my goal of under $20, but I can also relax and forget about the damn thing once my copy arrives. If I can find another for under $20 delivered in my normal Garvey searches moving forward, I will add a 2nd to the collection as I like dupes.

Attachments

• 2002.jpg
    2002.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 2006.jpg
    2006.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 2014.jpg
    2014.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 2019.jpg
    2019.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I do have the two Garvey pieces, but nothing else.

There is a regular and a mini statue.

That Garvey, Baker, Smith, Cey piece is awesome.
Do you have any of the '80s Sports Impressions ceramic figures?

Members online

Latest posts