User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: My eBay feedback I gave them

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    928
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    My eBay feedback I gave them

    As most of you know I purchased the 1999 Stadium Club Co-Signers #CS20 Alex Rodriguez/Derek Jeter/Chipper Jones/Scott Rolen A Quad Auto card for initially $1,000.00. In my excitement as it was already shipped, I did post here. Well long story short it was canceled relisted and canceled again on a deal both parties made for me to get this card but cost me $7,500.00 after. Well I get a warning from eBay on offers to buy outside of eBay. I am already upset that people would contact someone to get a card they didnít purchase initially.

    Well I decided to give eBay a call on this matter and give them the situation and a solution on how to fix this issue that probably happens hundreds if not thousands of time a day. I explain first how I initially bought this card for the buyer to received messages about the item and offering a higher amount to cancel sale and sell to them which is also against eBay policy. I came up with a suggestion that is being brought up to management about after a completed sale you will still be able to view it but when you click on the sale it blocks the name of the seller to avoid further sold items being canceled and sold off eBay.

    I really hope they use this method to avoid others getting screwed or warning because other members decide to try and buy it at a little more cost than initial sale. I will put it in perspective if I go to a yard sale and see a card worth say $1,000.00 ask what he wants and he says $100.00 and I pay him but someone else comes up a minute later sees this card in my hand that I already bought and says to the person that sold the card initially I will give you $500.00 for that card. No way would I take the $100.00 back for him to sell to the other person as I already bought it thus the person would have to offer me in return I could accept or reject the offer. Itís the same concept on eBay except its over a longer distance. All I know there needs to be a better solution than to think you got something for a crazy price because the seller didnít do their research and decided to stick a Buy It Now price then have a change of heart because people message them about set item and making a higher offer because they were not the one who seen it first and want to steal it from the buyer.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Gamecock Country
    Posts
    822
     cmcjr99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chris19978 View Post
    I came up with a suggestion that is being brought up to management about after a completed sale you will still be able to view it but when you click on the sale it blocks the name of the seller to avoid further sold items being canceled and sold off eBay.

    absolutely horrible idea that sounds exactly like something ebay would do themselves.....would make it far to easy for unscrupulous sellers (read as scammers) to cover their tracks on fraudulent sales....what's actually needed is even more transparency and not more ways to hide things....
    I collect any and all South Carolina Gamec0cks in any sport including players and coaches .
    Master set projects
    football : 2000 Finest , 2001 Bowman's Best , 2004 Fleer Tradition`, and 2017 Donruss
    baseball : 2002 Topps Chrome and 2007 Topps
    Claude's Desperate Plea for Help After Dad's Death (pay pal pool)

  3. #3
    Senior Member gracecollector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Huntley, IL
    Posts
    6,376
     gracecollector
    Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Marked Shipped" does not mean shipped. Wait at least until you see some postal movement on tracking history. Better yet, wait until card is in hand to post anything. In your garage sale transaction, you have the card in hand and no way would you give it back. But if the seller was still holding the card and verbally told you "Yeah, I'll take $100" but then someone else standing nearby said "I'll give you $200," well then the seller is probably going to take the $200 unless it is a person of utmost integrity.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    928
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [MENTION=1845]game****fanatic[/MENTION] not sure how that is a horrible idea as seeing talking to other buddies who bought something and never mentioned anything and had the card taken from them by another eBay member. I am sure it happens a ton of times every week and eBay loses money though they don’t need anymore why do you need to know who the seller was of a completed item if it has already sold? The only reason is to contact them and say hey don’t sell that as I will give you x amount more.


    [MENTION=1845]gracecollector[/MENTION] I agree with you it was a mistake on my part but even if I didn’t mention it, I bet the seller still had a handful of messages about the sold item. The fact I was the second to be watching it tells me the first person messed up not Buying It Now. It was a mistake on my part posting it here but there are times you get excited and want to share what you just bought and that’s what I did a mistake that will never happen again. At the end of the day you live and learn. I still hope eBay blocks sellers’ names after completed sale to avoid this happening to others and it will happen repeatedly if you allow people to see not only what was sold but who sold it as well. See when I look at completed auctions my first thought if I missed something I wanted is dang I needed that not oh wow let me contact the seller and offer more and hope they cancel and sell to me.
    Last edited by chris19978; 07-01-2019 at 10:40 AM.

  5. #5
    Member Dilferules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Auburn, WA
    Posts
    762
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a horrible idea because it would greatly hinder all the detective work that has gone on recently regarding finding sellers who are trimming/doctoring cards or working with the card doctors.

    Sure some jerks coming in and trying to make a deal in the short time between when the items sells and when it ships is a problem, but it doesn't happen that often so it seems like a lot larger of a problem to you right now than it is in the whole scheme of things because it JUST happened to you on a huge card. And the solution is easy...just chill out on it for a few extra days until you actually get the card. No need to throw the baby out with the bathwater to partially solve a relatively infrequent problem. And what if the seller saw somebody talking about their pickup online or a personal friend of theirs saw it and knew it was that seller's card and told them? Well then they'd just say "oops item no longer available" and sell it later for a higher amount, same result for you. And if a buyer contacted the seller without seeing message board comments, well then they were already watching the item and in the future if the rules are changed like you want they will just write down the seller's name so they can contact them later if need be.

    Solution: stop feeling like you need to go on a message board and brag about your pickup SO BADLY that you can't even wait a few days. Easy.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,534
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilferules View Post
    stop feeling like you need to go on a message board and brag about your pickup SO BADLY that you can't even wait a few days. Easy.

    $1,000 for a $10,000 card. It feels like you knew you got over on the seller and wanted some "attaboys" for it. I gotta admit, I don't feel sorry for you, and am actually kinda glad you had to spend time talking to ebay's horrific customer service, only to be charged $6000 more.

    Everyone has been the beneficiary and the victim of a "steal." But you should probably keep them to yourself. Not because someone else will swoop in, but because you just look like a dick who took advantage of someone who didn't know any better. And now you're whining for a massive ebay overhaul because it didn't pan out.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sunny Florida
    Posts
    5,323
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So someone ripped off a seller, that someone got ripped off of the same card, then that same someone had to pay 6 times that to get the same card? HUMMMMM. Sounds like KARMA to me.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    928
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [MENTION=1845]Dilferules [/MENTION] Wasn’t one of the first cards graded a trimmed and altered Honus Wagner card? Pretty sure its in the registry as well still and sells for millions. I understand your point on what your going with though as far as uncovering known altered cards, I am just not sure if most of the collector’s care. Haven’t see the slightest dip in sales. I personally hate grading cards most of my collection is Raw and when I bought a graded card it was for what I felt like it was worth. I never bought into a grade. As far as people buying cards for more after a completed sale it happens more than you think. I could say the same with trimmed cards it is a small percentage compared to all the cards out there. Again, I did say this was a mistake I did, and it will never happen again. Oh, and I got the card Saturday if you look, I posted pictures of the card already.

    [MENTION=11496]goobmcnasty[/MENTION] It was a Buy It Now and yes I felt I got a steal. As for wanting an attaboy I would say no I like to show off my collection as most people here do.

    [MENTION=4735]nosterbor[/MENTION] Not sure how you rip someone off that puts a Buy It Now price. Someone was going to buy it and they were fine with the price they put. I recommended to the seller from now on auction is the way to go if you have no knowledge on the item you have.

    Either way I find it funny people pick up a steal on a card and post about it and everyone is like nice pickup and not knocking them like I am getting on this card. Either way this whole situation has rubbed me the wrong way to the point I am done with message boards in general. It used to be fun talking to other collectors and there finds. I am removing the app as we speak from my phone. I will just touch base with my friend who collect Derek Jeter with me. I do have one thing I need to watch for on my computer before closing out this totally as I did sell a Cal Ripken card and want to make sure he gets this card before I just never get on here again but don’t need to see the message board for that. Best of luck to everyone’s collection. I am out to celebrate my daughters 3rd birthday now.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Gamecock Country
    Posts
    822
     cmcjr99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilferules View Post
    Solution: stop feeling like you need to go on a message board and brag about your pickup SO BADLY that you can't even wait a few days. Easy.
    exactly what i was thinking but didnt want post lest it make me seem like a jerk....



    Quote Originally Posted by goobmcnasty View Post
    $1,000 for a $10,000 card. It feels like you knew you got over on the seller and wanted some "attaboys" for it. I gotta admit, I don't feel sorry for you, and am actually kinda glad you had to spend time talking to ebay's horrific customer service, only to be charged $6000 more.

    Everyone has been the beneficiary and the victim of a "steal." But you should probably keep them to yourself. Not because someone else will swoop in, but because you just look like a dick who took advantage of someone who didn't know any better. And now you're whining for a massive ebay overhaul because it didn't pan out.

    again - i agree 100%....personally i will almost never sympathize with anyone whose posts consist mainly of boasts about 4 or 5-figure cards they have bought , sold , or own...i'm quite sure the vast majority of us here (and in the card collecting world in general) DONT have a ton of similar items and i dare say the majority of us also dont care to keep having it thrown in our faces....


    Quote Originally Posted by nosterbor View Post
    So someone ripped off a seller, that someone got ripped off of the same card, then that same someone had to pay 6 times that to get the same card? HUMMMMM. Sounds like KARMA to me.
    yup...and poor guy will now only get to double his money instead of turning it 10-fold.....i feel soooooooo sorry for him.....have i mentioned that i've been selling off as much of my collection and personal property as possible and STILL am forced to roll pennies to cover food for me and my pets ?

    Quote Originally Posted by chris19978 View Post
    [MENTION=1845]Dilferules [/MENTION] Wasn’t one of the first cards graded a trimmed and altered Honus Wagner card? Pretty sure its in the registry as well still and sells for millions. I understand your point on what your going with though as far as uncovering known altered cards, I am just not sure if most of the collector’s care. Haven’t see the slightest dip in sales. I personally hate grading cards most of my collection is Raw and when I bought a graded card it was for what I felt like it was worth. I never bought into a grade. As far as people buying cards for more after a completed sale it happens more than you think. I could say the same with trimmed cards it is a small percentage compared to all the cards out there. Again, I did say this was a mistake I did, and it will never happen again. Oh, and I got the card Saturday if you look, I posted pictures of the card already.

    [MENTION=11496]goobmcnasty[/MENTION] It was a Buy It Now and yes I felt I got a steal. As for wanting an attaboy I would say no I like to show off my collection as most people here do.

    [MENTION=4735]nosterbor[/MENTION] Not sure how you rip someone off that puts a Buy It Now price. Someone was going to buy it and they were fine with the price they put. I recommended to the seller from now on auction is the way to go if you have no knowledge on the item you have.

    Either way I find it funny people pick up a steal on a card and post about it and everyone is like nice pickup and not knocking them like I am getting on this card. Either way this whole situation has rubbed me the wrong way to the point I am done with message boards in general. It used to be fun talking to other collectors and there finds. I am removing the app as we speak from my phone. I will just touch base with my friend who collect Derek Jeter with me. I do have one thing I need to watch for on my computer before closing out this totally as I did sell a Cal Ripken card and want to make sure he gets this card before I just never get on here again but don’t need to see the message board for that. Best of luck to everyone’s collection. I am out to celebrate my daughters 3rd birthday now.

    dilfer is correct - it happens far less than you claim....furthermore , in addition to helping stop scammers , seeing the seller helps buyers see a seller's history/tendencies...that is vital in an peer-to-peer marketplace arena and you want to stop it because of your over zealousness ....

    yes , everyone knows you like to show off....personally i find it a bit excessive and somewhat distasteful when all you do is talk about high dollar stuff that most of us dont have and never will have....but then i've never been overly fond of boastful types....

    perhaps the seller intended it to be an auction with a 1000 opening bid and accidentally listed it incorrectly...in either case , you apparently knew it was seriously underpriced and couldnt wait to brag (though i swear i have an incredibly difficult time making sense of half your posts)

    you actually said last week you were stopping posting and going "read only"...that lasted all of 2 hours , so i'll believe it when i see it....
    I collect any and all South Carolina Gamec0cks in any sport including players and coaches .
    Master set projects
    football : 2000 Finest , 2001 Bowman's Best , 2004 Fleer Tradition`, and 2017 Donruss
    baseball : 2002 Topps Chrome and 2007 Topps
    Claude's Desperate Plea for Help After Dad's Death (pay pal pool)

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    589
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol. This thread is becoming pretty hilarious. Agreed with all the other posters here other than Chris.

    Creating a system wide rule all because of your bad experience in a highly isolated example is classic over-reaction. eBay is greedy and stupid so they just might do it. But realistically they probably wonít do it and should not. eBay is not just about standard commodities. You are not buying an identical item off a shelf. You are more often than not buying something unique - something used, not sold in stores, aged, whatever. So itís important not just what you are buying but who you are buying from. Itís about reputation and experience of the seller. Great point in re fraud and theft prevention. one of the main pros to selling on eBay is to have the public record. Masking the sellers ID is not the way to go.

    And yeah - bragging about getting a good deal (where the seller asks for a sub market price) does feel like getting one over on someone less knowledgeable and seeking validation via a social forum. $1 for a $10 card ok, $1000 for a $10,000 card...eek


    Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

  11. #11
    Member Dilferules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Auburn, WA
    Posts
    762
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chris19978 View Post
    As for wanting an attaboy I would say no I like to show off my collection as most people here do.
    For the record I feel bad for what happened to you, but hopefully you learned the lesson that nothing is part of your collection until it's in your hand.

    Oh no wait you didn't, you want eBay to make some crazy change that would be a terrible "solution".

  12. #12
    Senior Member wolfmanalfredo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    8,582
     beanzy46
     andyscags
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been away from here for a while and just read this. It sucks that you didn't get the steal you thought initially, but never....never...post pickups before they are in hand. We've all been burned for doing the same in the past. Whatever the dollar amount, I hope it is a lesson learned like many of us have held ourselves accountable for.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    -Andy


    Always looking to add to my vintage pc's and set needs, let me know what you've got!

  13. #13
    Member mrmopar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,897
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is considered Faux pas as well. You typically don't announce your departure from an online message board, especially under these circumstances. Most who do eat their words.

    Quote Originally Posted by chris19978 View Post
    Either way this whole situation has rubbed me the wrong way to the point I am done with message boards in general. It used to be fun talking to other collectors and there finds. I am removing the app as we speak from my phone.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •