User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Oddball Discovery Thread

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Alomar was part of the inspiration for this thread. When you posted it before, it was the exact kind of thing I really enjoy. Completely unknown to me, foreign issued and pre playing days for the brothers. Fantastic! I actually have a search set up for that now, although I expect we won't ever see another again!

Quote Originally Posted by banjar View Post

stevegarveyfan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like mrmopar, I am an avid Garvey collector. My collecting interest is pretty much limited to cards and other gradeable items that were issued during Garvey's career. This means I'm dealing with a finite number of issues, and this makes it possible to complete my collection one day, albeit only academically.

Here's an issue I own but don't know much about.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	91298

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
    That Alomar was part of the inspiration for this thread. When you posted it before, it was the exact kind of thing I really enjoy. Completely unknown to me, foreign issued and pre playing days for the brothers. Fantastic! I actually have a search set up for that now, although I expect we won't ever see another again!
    Collecting Roberto Alomar. Over 4000 unique cards, but always looking for those I'm missing!

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a call from Gerard Jonas toniught and we chatted about the set and other things for about 40 minutes! I have written a new blog entry to update the info we discussed.

https://1978theyearitallbegan.blogsp...entations.html

Going to be a little lazy on this one and just post the link to my blog. This one finally got yjr update that I have been meaning to share for a while.

https://1978theyearitallbegan.blogsp...ns-update.html

1976 Jerry Jonas Productions. I located the son of Gerard Jonas and asked if his father was still alive, and he passed along my contact info to his dad. I was hoping to interview him, but he has not reached out to me yet. I am hoping he still does though.
    Last edited by mrmopar; 08-01-2019 at 10:03 PM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that is super sweet! No more than 100 sets though? Man, that puts those cards in some rarified air.

I got a call from Gerald Jonas toniught and we chatted about the set and other things for about 40 minutes! I have written a new blog entry to update the info we discussed.

https://1978theyearitallbegan.blogsp...entations.html
    Collecting Roberto Alomar. Over 4000 unique cards, but always looking for those I'm missing!

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I don't have an elaborate story to tell, thanks to a post on TradingCardDB.com, I learned about yet another variation of the 1991 Score All-Star Fanfest/National cards. I updated my blog post about them: https://clydes-stalecards.blogspot.c...e-rainbow.html

The new variant was apparently given out at the National Candy Wholesalers Association summer convention. As with the others, there were also football and hockey sets produced, and those are far more prevalent. The collector who mentioned the NCWA variant is going to post some images of the cards he has, soon. So far, I've only been able to find scans of a couple cards from the set, but like a dummy didn't save them at the time, and now I can't find them again. The upshot is I have another Hensley Meulens card to chase!

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a page from a Canadian (probably published in Montreal) magazine called SportMania. It was around 1980-82 or so. They had certain issues that included pages with 4 small color photos with some bio info and had dotted lines around them like they were meant to be cut out and saved individully, like cards. Most were either Expos or Canadians hockey players, but there were a few random baseball stars. Garvey has one of the regular "cut outs" and this one you show, which as far as I can tell was the only one in this format. I wanted to add this detail earlier, but I also didn't want to bring unwanted attention to an auction listing I had my eye on that ended today. The seller had several Sportmania magazines listed although none featured the Garvey, but there was a different item they were selling that did include Garvey, which is what I am 99% sure to be the elusive 1982 Montreal News issue.

I don't know a lot about the grading companies and what they will and will not grade, but I suspect that something like this would probably not qualify. Essentially it would be a magazine page in full form or a magazine cut if the individual players were cut out.

Quote Originally Posted by stevegarveyfan View Post
    Like mrmopar, I am an avid Garvey collector. My collecting interest is pretty much limited to cards and other gradeable items that were issued during Garvey's career. This means I'm dealing with a finite number of issues, and this makes it possible to complete my collection one day, albeit only academically.

Here's an issue I own but don't know much about.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	91298
    Here is a blog entry I wrote several years back that shows both versions of Garvey.

https://1978theyearitallbegan.blogsp...t-march-2.html
    Last edited by mrmopar; 08-03-2019 at 06:21 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12