Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Lost / Stolen eBay Card - Advice Needed!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
As some of you know, I collect Upper Deck Mystery Cuts cards and share them here when new ones arrive:

https://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/showthread.php/152872-Upper-Deck-Mystery-Cuts-Thread

Back on June 30th, I won an eBay auction for a Brad Renfro (actor) Mystery Cut card and expected it would arrive while I was on vacation (from July 3 through July 12). On July 1, I went to my local post office and requested a hold for my mail for those dates (simple enough, right?). Well, when I came home a day early on July 11 I opened my locked mailbox to find it packed full of mail and 8 eBay packages! I had expected 10 total packages to be held while on vacation and, after checking what arrived, found that 2 packages marked delivered were not in the mailbox.

I called the main post office hub where my mail should have been held (different from the local post office) and, after being on hold for half an hour, was told they only had 1 package for me to pick up. I drove there that night and staff opened a "package research case" on my behalf for the missing package. The tracking for the Mystery Cut card said it was delivered July 3, which happened to be the first day of the requested hold. None of the 8 packages that were delivered by mistake or the 1 package that was held during the requested hold period were marked delivered on July 3 (coincidence?).

Mail staff told me straight up on July 11 that they've had several complaints about the temp delivery workers that cover my route and they weren't surprised the hold request was messed up. Fast forward to July 18 when I get a voicemail from the post office asking if the package was ever delivered. They left me a number to call back but it went to voicemail and I clearly explained that the package had not been delivered. When I checked the tracking information the next day it was updated to: "package research case closed". Umm...

I tried calling the post office several times over the next week but could never get a human on the phone. This past Monday, July 22, I went back to the post office in person to ask about the case being closed. The same people I talked to 11 days earlier were working, they remembered me and were happy to look into the situation. They were infuriated to find a supervisor had closed my case on the 18th without having talked to them, me or listing any actual findings. According to them, a supervisor came into their office on the 18th and quickly closed out 7 or 8 different package research cases.

As far as I can tell the eBay seller did nothing wrong on their end and the package was either 1) delivered and somehow stolen from a locked mailbox containing 8 other packages, 2) marked delivered but either delivered to the wrong building or mailbox in my apartment building, 3) marked delivered but actually taken back to the station to be held per my request. I've been open with the seller about everything that's been happening but am getting more and more sure that I'll have to file a claim. I've had thousands of cards delivered here over the past decade without a single one becoming lost and am not sure how to proceed with how this thing has played out.

Any suggestions would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long read. I'll post updates as they come. Here's what the card looks like, in case it ever pops up somewhere for sale:

Brad Renfro Mystery Cuts.jpg

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
i mailed a card that was marked delieverd but never showed up to the buyer. either went to the wrong address or someone pinched it. dont know how ebay will handle that
as it was marked deliverd. Either way is sucks, hope yours shows up.

ps i had on marked deliverd, show up six weeks later on a sunday.

Last edited:

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
I hope you have better luck with eBay than I did. I had two packages marked delivered (according to the delivery confirmation numbers) June 26 and was not in the mail box. Fast forward July and I message both sellers, both tell me to read what confirmation says. I claim non receipt through eBay & PayPal and they both took the sellers, USPS side and I'm out $76 for both....

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
He said we has expecting 10 packages and got 9 so I don't think he got anything extra...

So he’s away on vacation for over a week and I’m to believe the ONLY thing delivered during that time were those specific packages, and no other mail whatsoever?

Some scammers post auctions then mail a junk mail flyer (or something else extremely throwawayable) to people in hopes it’s just discarded without much thought, but then the package will show it was delivered through tracking.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Now that is a clever scam. Why can't people like that put their brainpower to use for something better than that.

Some scammers post auctions then mail a junk mail flyer (or something else extremely throwawayable) to people in hopes it’s just discarded without much thought, but then the package will show it was delivered through tracking.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
I would keep bugging the post office, as it was their major screw up!
I've gone to two different post offices in person twice each and staff seem nice and caring. My local post office even took a photocopy of a printout the other post office gave me of a USPS Tracking Intranet search of the tracking number so he could give it to his supervisor for his personal review. It's been a couple of days and I haven't heard a peep. :(

ps i had on marked deliverd, show up six weeks later on a sunday.
I keep hoping it will just show up but at this point am not going to hold my breath.

I hope you have better luck with eBay than I did. I had two packages marked delivered (according to the delivery confirmation numbers) June 26 and was not in the mail box. Fast forward July and I message both sellers, both tell me to read what confirmation says. I claim non receipt through eBay & PayPal and they both took the sellers, USPS side and I'm out $76 for both....
I filed a claim 2 days ago and the seller does not seem happy (can't say I blame him). I paid $14.95 to ship this $76.01 card and the aforementioned printout the post office gave me says he paid $7.50 for a small flat rate box. I believe that comes with $50 of insurance and the printout doesn't indicate that he purchased additional insurance. Hmm...

Did you have any junk mail in there? The eBay seller could have sent you some kind of junk mail to show it was delivered.
There was some normal junk mail jammed in there but nothing of that nature. The eBay seller has good feedback and I don't see how there could be a scam in play from his end.

walt_altmen

Aug 1, 2019
didnt read thru entire thread but i think the jist is:

1. you bought off ebay
2. temp carrier misdelivered/stole/f’d up
3. ebay/tracking shows it “delivered”.
4. you obviously didnt get it
5. your ebay case was found in sellers favor.

if this is it, here is the only way to handle it to get reimbursed and help thwart it from happening again in the process:

1. file police report
2. appeal ebay case. you will need to upload police report.
3. take a copy of the police report and deliver personally to post master at your post office.
4. you will get your money back, seller will get his money. ebay covers this, but will only happen with said police report

continuing to hope and bug seller, ebay and post office will prove to be futile and only oiss your off further.

best of luck.

eta: these temp carriers are the worst. minimum waged contracted out folks. usually thursday is their delivery day. i would ask for their name, include it in the police report and then give them a copy of said police report for their records. something tells your mail wont get mis-delivered again.

Last edited:

Members online