User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The issue that finally does me in as a "completist" player collector, 2019 Leaf ITG Used Sports

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The issue that finally does me in as a "completist" player collector, 2019 Leaf ITG Used Sports

https://1978theyearitallbegan.blogsp...i-am-done.html

It actually pains me to see people buying this stuff up, as i know it will continue the cycle. But I can feel good that I am not going to be a part of that any longer and it is refreshing and a bit of a relief, a long time coming.
    Last edited by mrmopar; 08-01-2019 at 09:45 PM.

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    618 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Link doesnít work for me

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think link is fixed. I believe it was my edit/log-in page so I linked just a basic page view now.

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the issue? I checked the sell sheet, looks pricey but the names look pretty decent. I know lots of people have issues with Leaf/Brian Gray but the product looks ok, not amazing but decent.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read the post, it spells out my issues pretty clearly. I have nothing personally against Leaf as a company or it's owner. It is a post directed only at Leaf specifically in that they created the product in question. Any other company doing the same thing would elicit the same response.

Pinbreaker
     pinbreaker
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked up a couple of boxes just to see what they look like..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mem-8.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	302.2 KB 
ID:	91386 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maddux-glavine.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	305.9 KB 
ID:	91388

Name:	mem-6.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	300.2 KB 
ID:	91387 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mem-trip.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	281.4 KB 
ID:	91389

Name:	spence.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	334.8 KB 
ID:	91390 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	earl.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	168.0 KB 
ID:	91391

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great post. It's insane how many cards are produced of certain players in a year. I am actually grateful that Cutch got traded (twice) then signed with a same state rival. It has made me not chase EVERY one of his 1200+ cards a year being produced with such a degree of obsessive compulsion collecting. I am still picking up certain brands that I love, but am definitely going after everything anymore because the money to collect am all is just crazy.

Sent from my VS996 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not in love with this set, but in terms of desigh, I've seen worse. Topps has their designers, and every one of the yearly 15,000 Topps sets is identifiable as Topps. And same with Panini and Leaf. But with Leaf, I really do like their designs. Except for their annoying habit of making baseball cards without pictures of the player on the card. Brian Gray, in the 0.001% chance you're reading this thread....STOP IT! Baseball cards without photos of the baseball players are not baseball cards.

But to your point about not being a completist, and frustration with the glut of new releases and zillions of parallels, I can definitely relate. I abandoned the foolish idea of being a completist long ago, but for a while I was still chasing a lot of new stuff. Not anymore. Every year there is just an endless, endless stream of new issues - especially this mid- to high-end stuff.

Alomar has 36 cards in this Leaf set, which is insane, but that's a far cry from the 71 in the Topps flagship set. Overall he's got 297 new cards released in 2019 - and the guy's been retired for 15 years for chrissakes. So for my PC, I have drastically reduced what I spend on new releases and mostly focus on the playing career. I pick up new base issues and other low-end stuff just for fun, but I almost never buy stuff like this Leaf product. I also add all new cards to my master checklist, just to keep it complete, but after I do that I almost never think about them again. Topps Luminaries? Topps Diamond Icons? Panini Immaculate? Leaf ITG? Whatever. It's all just a big shiny gray smear to me. It's exhausting and I'm over it.

PS - I admit that on rare occasion I'll chase a rainbow or buy a high end card, but only if I really REALLY like the card design or the card is really unique. For example I might pick up a copy of the one with Alomar and Mike Tyson on it. Yes, Iron Mike! The card also includes Dennis Rodman and Deion Sanders. I wonder if this is Leaf's passive aggressive tribute to head cases (sorry Robbie, I love you but facts are facts).
    Collecting Roberto Alomar. Over 4000 unique cards, but always looking for those I'm missing!

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO, unless the jerseys pictured on the card are the actual jerseys inserted in the card (it pretty obvious looking at the above they are not), having pictures of random player jerseys featured on these cards is pointless.
    Sent using my two hands, ten fingers, a keyboard and an internet connection.

arturohillo
     arturohillo
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw Vinny Castilla is in this product and I thought of picking one because it'd be cheap. Boy, I was wrong he is paired with Juan Gonzalez and Manny Ramirez and I think they are going very pricey for a card without a photo of the players.
    Edgar Gonzalez Collection: - the 1/1's: 108/111 (97.3%) Have 12 1/1s out of 29
    Jorge Cantu Collection: 487 / 688 (70.78%), 58 1/1s (14 non plates)
    - the 1/1's: 429/443 (96.84%)
    Total Mexican Collection: 4,326
    Mexican autographs: 129/130 and on baseballs 118/130

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These cards are giving me flashbacks to 2005 Absolute Memorabilia, except that was done amazing and this was not.

The lack of photos is astounding on this...

Thanks,
    Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinbreaker View Post

Name:	mem-8.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	302.2 KB 
ID:	91386
    I breezed by and didn't notice you had pulled one with Garvey. is that /2 or /3. I am documenting the different types still, although not trying to buy any.

Pinbreaker
     pinbreaker
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
    I breezed by and didn't notice you had pulled one with Garvey. is that /2 or /3. I am documenting the different types still, although not trying to buy any.
    It was 1/3.. and sold for $137

Name:	leaf-sale.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	91485

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I've bought a couple I decided to limit myself to one of each type for my Puckett pc. Prices have been surprisingly high in my opinion.
    Kirby Puckett Collection: 2148/2990 71.84% (As of 5/13/14)
    Current Most Wanted Kirby Puckett's (As of 2/5/17):
    1. 1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold
    2. 1992 Ace Novelty #307
    3. 2015 Panini Prizm Blue Baseball Retail Parallel
    4. 2016 Donruss 1982 Test Proofs Magenta/10
    5. 2015 Panini Cooperstown Golf

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldnít agree more Josh and am taking the same approach with these. That cheesy jersey image detracts from an otherwise decent concept imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast