User Tag List

Thread: 25 years ago today (8/12/94) was a dark day in MLB history. The start of the 1994 strike.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

25 years ago today (8/12/94) was a dark day in MLB history. The start of the 1994 strike.

The 1994 MLB strike began 25 years ago today, leading to the cancellation of the season and World Series.
    The baseball card hobby was also hit hard by the strike.

What are your memories of the strike?
    Did it affect your collecting? Were you more upset at the players or owners?
    Did the strike turn you off from baseball, or did you just want it to come back?

I was a junior in college, so I wasn't collecting very much then, but I was still a huge baseball fan.
    I was shocked when they decided to cancel the World Series, and then the strike continued into 1995.

I was just happy when baseball returned and didn't feel bitter or angry. And then I graduated from college and started collecting cards again.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It came at a weird time for me, finishing high school/way more focused on girls/etc so I had already sort of drifted away from cards (which lasted until 2003). At the time I was angrier at the players though my views have evolved over the years there a bit. I just wanted baseball back and wanted to see if Gwynn was gonna hit .400. In 1995 I was fully ready to embrace the ďscabsĒ

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    SCREW PHOTOBUCKET
    Jeff Cirillo Spread Sheet ||
    Hall of Unending Gratitude: dazed, magicpapa, uniquebaseballcards, and the vigilant eye of tonsofcommons

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started collecting pre 1980's stuff and pre-war cards.
    I'm Dave ! Dave's not here man.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was 13 at the time and was all in on baseball and baseball cards. I just remember wanting to watch baseball again. I don't remember feeling angst or bitterness towards the players. I don't know if it was the strike...I don't think it was...but looking back at my collecting amounts, 1994 was one of my bigger amounts of cards....I remember actually buying a few boxes of cards, something I never did. My 1995 amounts were peanuts compared to 1994 and the previous 7 years. That was probably more of me moving on to other things as a teenager, rather than the strike affecting my collecting.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swish54_99 View Post
    I was 13 at the time and was all in on baseball and baseball cards. I just remember wanting to watch baseball again. I don't remember feeling angst or bitterness towards the players. I don't know if it was the strike...I don't think it was...but looking back at my collecting amounts, 1994 was one of my bigger amounts of cards....I remember actually buying a few boxes of cards, something I never did. My 1995 amounts were peanuts compared to 1994 and the previous 7 years. That was probably more of me moving on to other things as a teenager, rather than the strike affecting my collecting.
    I was 13 also and I remember 1994 being one of the bigger years of my collecting habits. 1995 started the slowdown (dad retired from the Marines, we moved one last time, etc) and by the time I graduated, I barely collected outside of buying a pack or two on occasion.

joey_baseball
     joey12524
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i remember the yanks were in first place and it pissed me off. JR had 40 hrs and a chance for the single season record. i think matt williams to had a chance too
    it just over all sucked.

joey_baseball
     joey12524
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the result that followed, Mark Mcgwire turned into Paul Bunyan and Sammy Sosa the Michelin Man

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joey12508 View Post
    the result that followed, Mark Mcgwire turned into Paul Bunyan and Sammy Sosa the Michelin Man
    Sammy Sosa going from Skinny Man to Michelin Man to Pepto Bismol Man is one of the most inspirational transformations of all time.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joey12508 View Post
    i remember the yanks were in first place and it pissed me off. JR had 40 hrs and a chance for the single season record. i think matt williams to had a chance too
    it just over all sucked.
    Yes I remember Williams had a chance too. Also Gwynn had a legit shot at batting.400, and the Expos were the front runners for the World Series.

Featured Contributor
    The best players in history?
    Super Moderator
     Topnotchsy
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't old enough to know what was going on in baseball at that point, but I did pick up this pair of lineup cards; the first game after the strike ended.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1995 First Game After MLB Strike.jpg  

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
    I wasn't old enough to know what was going on in baseball at that point, but I did pick up this pair of lineup cards; the first game after the strike ended.
    Well this blew my mind because Iíve always assumed you were older than me
    Maybe itís just your mature collecting focus!

SCREW PHOTOBUCKET
    Jeff Cirillo Spread Sheet ||
    Hall of Unending Gratitude: dazed, magicpapa, uniquebaseballcards, and the vigilant eye of tonsofcommons

Featured Contributor
    The best players in history?
    Super Moderator
     Topnotchsy
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewer Andy View Post
    Well this blew my mind because I’ve always assumed you were older than me
    Maybe it’s just your mature collecting focus!

LOL. With the way the internet is, I imagine that for a ton of people my vague mental picture of their age is probably off.