Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

25 years ago today (8/12/94) was a dark day in MLB history. The start of the 1994 strike.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The 1994 MLB strike began 25 years ago today, leading to the cancellation of the season and World Series.
The baseball card hobby was also hit hard by the strike.

What are your memories of the strike?
Did it affect your collecting? Were you more upset at the players or owners?
Did the strike turn you off from baseball, or did you just want it to come back?

I was a junior in college, so I wasn't collecting very much then, but I was still a huge baseball fan.
I was shocked when they decided to cancel the World Series, and then the strike continued into 1995.

I was just happy when baseball returned and didn't feel bitter or angry. And then I graduated from college and started collecting cards again.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
It came at a weird time for me, finishing high school/way more focused on girls/etc so I had already sort of drifted away from cards (which lasted until 2003). At the time I was angrier at the players though my views have evolved over the years there a bit. I just wanted baseball back and wanted to see if Gwynn was gonna hit .400. In 1995 I was fully ready to embrace the “scabs”

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I was 13 at the time and was all in on baseball and baseball cards. I just remember wanting to watch baseball again. I don't remember feeling angst or bitterness towards the players. I don't know if it was the strike...I don't think it was...but looking back at my collecting amounts, 1994 was one of my bigger amounts of cards....I remember actually buying a few boxes of cards, something I never did. My 1995 amounts were peanuts compared to 1994 and the previous 7 years. That was probably more of me moving on to other things as a teenager, rather than the strike affecting my collecting.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
I was 13 at the time and was all in on baseball and baseball cards. I just remember wanting to watch baseball again. I don't remember feeling angst or bitterness towards the players. I don't know if it was the strike...I don't think it was...but looking back at my collecting amounts, 1994 was one of my bigger amounts of cards....I remember actually buying a few boxes of cards, something I never did. My 1995 amounts were peanuts compared to 1994 and the previous 7 years. That was probably more of me moving on to other things as a teenager, rather than the strike affecting my collecting.

I was 13 also and I remember 1994 being one of the bigger years of my collecting habits. 1995 started the slowdown (dad retired from the Marines, we moved one last time, etc) and by the time I graduated, I barely collected outside of buying a pack or two on occasion.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
i remember the yanks were in first place and it pissed me off. JR had 40 hrs and a chance for the single season record. i think matt williams to had a chance too
it just over all sucked.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
the result that followed, Mark Mcgwire turned into Paul Bunyan and Sammy Sosa the Michelin Man

Sammy Sosa going from Skinny Man to Michelin Man to Pepto Bismol Man is one of the most inspirational transformations of all time.

Sammy-Sosa-Skin-Reactions.jpg

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
i remember the yanks were in first place and it pissed me off. JR had 40 hrs and a chance for the single season record. i think matt williams to had a chance too
it just over all sucked.

Yes I remember Williams had a chance too. Also Gwynn had a legit shot at batting.400, and the Expos were the front runners for the World Series.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I wasn't old enough to know what was going on in baseball at that point, but I did pick up this pair of lineup cards; the first game after the strike ended.

Attachments

• 1995 First Game After MLB Strike.jpg
    1995 First Game After MLB Strike.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9

Members online