Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7 million card collection news report

Sent from my SM-G950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think of all the wrong and blank backs he has come across.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is why I don't really tell anyone I meet that I collect... this is what they envision.
    Scanned cards: https://goo.gl/9QaZll Updated 10/17/2019

2011 Topps Heritage Tints Red - 79/87/Blue - 68/87/Green - 81/87

Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kinda like Mel Gibson in Conspiracy Theory where he can't help himself from buying a copy of Catcher in the Rye when he sees it at a store but he's never actually read it before.
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> https://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice. I often explain to my wife that I think sorting and finding new ways to catalog my stuff is the most relaxing part about collecting. Nice dig at MLB at the end there by the anchor lol

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    SCREW PHOTOBUCKET
    Jeff Cirillo Spread Sheet ||
    Hall of Unending Gratitude: dazed, magicpapa, uniquebaseballcards, and the vigilant eye of tonsofcommons

rwongdestiny
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's having fun on doing it.

When I lived in Austin I would pop in Card Traders of Austin to get singles. I've met the guy and another one that works there. They are honest as they will flat out tell people calling in on wanting to unload the 80s-90s stuff having no monetary value to save them a trip

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new anchor say's 7 million cards. The man say's just over 6 million. Fake news ?
    I'm Dave ! Dave's not here man.

ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by finestkind View Post
    The new anchor say's 7 million cards. The man say's just over 6 million. Fake news ?
    Fake news is whatever you choose not to believe. Nah, this right here is a straight up conspiracy! I'm sure Obama and the serial killer Clintons had something to do with this. Dem commie liberals are everywhere, trying to take away our cardzzzz
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> https://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sneaky little bastards.

piledriver1
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Card Traders has been my main store since I moved here in 92. Not so much for baseball anymore as their inventory rarely changes and I can probably tell you from memory every card in the their sports cases, but I pop in once a week or so for MTG and supplies and a few packs of whatever. I've seen Lowell in there once in a while and yeah, he's usually walking out with armfuls of boxes. I've always been curious about what's in his garage. And yeah, nearly every time I stop in someone calls wanting to sell their collection only to be told that what they have is mainly junk and get offered $1/K. But I guess people take them up on it regularly enough for this to happen.
    Looking for 2011 Topps Marquee Museum autographs, rare Frank Thomases, and any Grady Sizemores I don't have

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that guy Tramers?

I wish the report would have explained how he actually acquires these cards when the card shop turns down the sellers.

Does the shop buy them and then he pays the dealer? Does the dealer refer the seller to this man?
    How much does this guy pay for junk wax cards? Does he buy everything or turn down some offers?

It would have put things more into perspective if it explained how much he's spending or if he gets most of it free (outside of his son's old collection).
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So....I kinda like that guy. And I kinda understand his hobby. Even though he's not really a baseball fan, he seems to me like an archivist. And this hobby needs people like that. To catalog, sort, and store all these cards which were issued and then forgotten about. In his own weird way he's keeping history alive and maybe Future Us will appreciate that. Plus it's absolutely the most gentle and benign way that anyone could possibly spend their free time.
    Collecting Roberto Alomar. Over 4000 unique cards, but always looking for those I'm missing!

tramersfoulball
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Is that guy Tramers?

I wish the report would have explained how he actually acquires these cards when the card shop turns down the sellers.

Does the shop buy them and then he pays the dealer? Does the dealer refer the seller to this man?
    How much does this guy pay for junk wax cards? Does he buy everything or turn down some offers?

It would have put things more into perspective if it explained how much he's spending or if he gets most of it free (outside of his son's old collection).
    NOT me ; i do have about one million - sorted by teams most in alpha order most are junk years but i do buy several new boxes a month or two . I trade teams . I donate 1000's a year to local schools for Christmas , sell hot stars / team packs at local minor league stadium - 18 years about 25 times a season . I also have turned down buying collections over 100,000 - not worth the $$$ . When you start looking at players ages and older than me -67- only good for kids to start collections with . At present i have 3000 plus autoed / gu cards not worth $1.00 . At least son and i have 200 plus bats / 300 signed baseballs from local stadium and many autos in last 25 years .

ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by banjar View Post
    So....I kinda like that guy. And I kinda understand his hobby. Even though he's not really a baseball fan, he seems to me like an archivist. And this hobby needs people like that. To catalog, sort, and store all these cards which were issued and then forgotten about. In his own weird way he's keeping history alive and maybe Future Us will appreciate that. Plus it's absolutely the most gentle and benign way that anyone could possibly spend their free time.
    I'm kinda like him in the sense that I feel like I "NEED TO" (It's actually more OCD for me) sort all of my cards from the very moment the first pack of a box/box of the case is opened. Like I said, it's more of a compulsion to me, I just can't stand having cards out of order even if I plan to immediately sell them or put them in the closet, never to be looked at again. Then those cards must be categorized with my other cards by set/date and so forth.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have trouble focusing to sort a 100 cards or more. My collect suffers because of it.