Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

7 million card collection news report

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
This is why I don't really tell anyone I meet that I collect... this is what they envision.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Nice. I often explain to my wife that I think sorting and finding new ways to catalog my stuff is the most relaxing part about collecting. Nice dig at MLB at the end there by the anchor lol

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

RNCoyote

Nov 4, 2009
Texas
He's having fun on doing it.

When I lived in Austin I would pop in Card Traders of Austin to get singles. I've met the guy and another one that works there. They are honest as they will flat out tell people calling in on wanting to unload the 80s-90s stuff having no monetary value to save them a trip

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Card Traders has been my main store since I moved here in 92. Not so much for baseball anymore as their inventory rarely changes and I can probably tell you from memory every card in the their sports cases, but I pop in once a week or so for MTG and supplies and a few packs of whatever. I've seen Lowell in there once in a while and yeah, he's usually walking out with armfuls of boxes. I've always been curious about what's in his garage. And yeah, nearly every time I stop in someone calls wanting to sell their collection only to be told that what they have is mainly junk and get offered $1/K. But I guess people take them up on it regularly enough for this to happen.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Is that guy Tramers?

I wish the report would have explained how he actually acquires these cards when the card shop turns down the sellers.

Does the shop buy them and then he pays the dealer? Does the dealer refer the seller to this man?
How much does this guy pay for junk wax cards? Does he buy everything or turn down some offers?

It would have put things more into perspective if it explained how much he's spending or if he gets most of it free (outside of his son's old collection).

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
So....I kinda like that guy. And I kinda understand his hobby. Even though he's not really a baseball fan, he seems to me like an archivist. And this hobby needs people like that. To catalog, sort, and store all these cards which were issued and then forgotten about. In his own weird way he's keeping history alive and maybe Future Us will appreciate that. Plus it's absolutely the most gentle and benign way that anyone could possibly spend their free time.

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
Is that guy Tramers?

I wish the report would have explained how he actually acquires these cards when the card shop turns down the sellers.

Does the shop buy them and then he pays the dealer? Does the dealer refer the seller to this man?
How much does this guy pay for junk wax cards? Does he buy everything or turn down some offers?

It would have put things more into perspective if it explained how much he's spending or if he gets most of it free (outside of his son's old collection).

NOT me ; i do have about one million - sorted by teams most in alpha order most are junk years but i do buy several new boxes a month or two . I trade teams . I donate 1000's a year to local schools for Christmas , sell hot stars / team packs at local minor league stadium - 18 years about 25 times a season . I also have turned down buying collections over 100,000 - not worth the $$$ . When you start looking at players ages and older than me -67- only good for kids to start collections with . At present i have 3000 plus autoed / gu cards not worth $1.00 . At least son and i have 200 plus bats / 300 signed baseballs from local stadium and many autos in last 25 years .

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
So....I kinda like that guy. And I kinda understand his hobby. Even though he's not really a baseball fan, he seems to me like an archivist. And this hobby needs people like that. To catalog, sort, and store all these cards which were issued and then forgotten about. In his own weird way he's keeping history alive and maybe Future Us will appreciate that. Plus it's absolutely the most gentle and benign way that anyone could possibly spend their free time.

I'm kinda like him in the sense that I feel like I "NEED TO" (It's actually more OCD for me) sort all of my cards from the very moment the first pack of a box/box of the case is opened. Like I said, it's more of a compulsion to me, I just can't stand having cards out of order even if I plan to immediately sell them or put them in the closet, never to be looked at again. Then those cards must be categorized with my other cards by set/date and so forth.

Members online