Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

September 11th, 2001. I will never forget..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
This is a Baseball Forum but this day is much more important than Baseball and sportcards.
I remember being at home from work and actually sorting through sports cards when my wife called me and said a plane crashed into one of the towers. She said they thought it was a small commercial plane and that it might have just been accidental. So I turned on the TV and proceeded to watch live as the second plane crashed into Tower number 2. In that moment everything changed. It was incredibly surreal, incredibly sad, it caused anger and it caused pain. And it was a very numbing pain the rest of that day and for many days to come.
I just wanted to make a post about this because every September 11th that rolls around is a sad day for me and I'm sure that goes for many of you here who are old enough to remember. It brought this nation together like I've never seen before in my lifetime which makes it even sadder seeing what's going on in the world today and especially in our country. Regardless of anyone's political persuasions, ethnicity, color, or religion we were truly all one as Americans that day and for many many days to come.
So for me personally I can never forget those feelings and those images and I don't want to.
We all need to never forget.
I just felt the need to post this guys.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Last edited:

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
I was home in Central NJ on the phone with a co-worker. I was waiting to leave for an appointment and remember the news reporter thinking it may have been a traffic helicopter...about 5 minutes later they started reporting it was a commercial airliner which I remember made my co-worker say that it wasn't an accident. I watched in horror when the second plane hit and the horrible feeling I got of all those poor people dying in that moment.

The rest of the day is a blur with only certain moments being burned in my memory...the towers coming down...the plane hitting the pentagon. It was the 12th when I went outside for the first time and I could smell the burning metal from 40 miles away.

That is the single worst day of my lifetime and this day is always very tough.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
It still seems like yesterday to me. My wife and I were at work. Our plant manger was from NY. He came out and told us that a small plane hit the World Trade Center. He turned on the TV in the conference room. And we saw the second plane hit the 2ND tower. Our manger said we were now at war, he had tears in his eyes as everyone else had. We were all in shock, that turned to a deep sense of sorrow, then extreme anger as to the horror those poor people were going through. I will never forget that day.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
My wife woke me by phone saying aint you worried about me? turn on the tv. I saw the second plane hit, not realizing it wasnt a replay of the first plane. MY wife had to stay in manhattan for the night,they had the whole city on lock down. My couisin Danny a firefighter was in the lobby of one of the towers not sure which one when the second plane hit.
Phones where down, didnt here from him for two days. Thank god he survived. My sister Teresa lost her battle with cancer on 9-11 2015. This was a hard day for many.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
Thanks for posting this Randy. I always hesitate to start threads like this.

I was 19 years old and six months into my Army enlistment. I was in my last month of Andvanced Individual Training (AIT) and just got out of class. I was on the night shift class rotation so i was laying in bed listening to the new Gorillaz Album and about to fall asleep when my suite-mate came in and told me we were under attack and two planes had crashed into the World Trade Center in New York. We both went to the common room to watch the unfolding events on tv with every one else. It didnt really sink in that we were going to war until the third hijacked plane hit the Pentagon. I didnt sleep at all that day, we all just sat there watching the news.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Thanks for posting this, Randy.
I was supposed to fly out of Roanoke that morning to a meeting in Atlantic City, which would have been the first time I had flown on a jet in over 20 years. I got to the airport and everyone was standing around the screens watching. It was unreal. The flights were cancelled, so my co-worker called our boss and told her. She (absolute worst manager I ever had) told us to drive to Atlantic City. So we drove about 2 1/2 hours before she called to tell us the conference had been cancelled. Could have predicted that 2 1/2 hours earlier. So, we got to hear most of what was going on by radio. When I got home and saw the terrible images, it was so much worse. I was able to forgive her of many other things, but will not forgive her for that day. Nor will I forgive those responsible. And this is coming from a very forgiving guy, as I can think of no other grudges that I have.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Oh man, I was in college, I most have only had later classes, or I was skipping that day, I don’t remember. My roommate was out already and the first thing I did was fire up my computer and jump on AIM, I started talking to a friend and got the whole, omg did you hear what happened, and rushed to turn on the tv...all classes were cancelled and everyone was just kind of milling about in the quad, just being together. I don’t know when they got back, but I remember my roommates girlfriend’s (at the time) father worked in the city, and they were frantically trying to reach him all day. He was one of the lucky ones...........

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
I was recovering from a knee surgery. Someone woke me up saying "hey Brad wake up something is happening in NY" I had a mingraine so I had a hard time focusing...

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I was 27 and working at an engineering place in Littleton CO. I got up and drove into work as usual, walked into the building as usual, and sat down at my desk as usual. I didn't see anyone as I walked in but that didn't strike me as unusual, it was a quiet office. I pull up my email and before long I see one about what's happening in NYC. It basically said a plane had crashed into one tower and that tower had collapsed, and a plane had flown into the second tower and it was burning.

Obviously this was too crazy to be true, but the email was sent to everyone in the company, from a fairly serious guy. So I walk over the office next to me, a guy named Richard, and I remember just saying 4 words - "Is this for real?". His reply was one word - "Yes".

The rest of the day is basically a blur. I do remember meeting my uncle after work and we decided to get out and ride our bikes around town. Just because. Along the way we stopped in a liquor store owned by a guy who looked to be middle eastern. For no reason I can remember, my uncle and him started yelling at each other, and my uncle stormed out after yelling "this is MY country!" Kind of a silly incident and he felt really stupid about it later. The guy at the liquor store counter was just a guy who had nothing to do with anything. But in truth my head was kind of in the same place at that moment. Not great, but it was what it was.

Funny the things you remember. I have almost zero memory of that day between reading that email and the shouting match at the liquor store. But still it's like the moon landing of my generation - everyone knows exactly where they were when they learned what was going on.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I just heard about the first plane on the radio. Got into the store I was running and turned on the tube just before the second plane hit. Then we all realized it was intentional.

Since we had TVs, lots of people stopped in to watch the coverage. One lady's son worked at the WH and she hadn't heard from him since the evac order came. Phone lines were overwhelmed so info was hard to come by. Devastated by the 93 news. Thought of Clancy's book coming true, so scary.

Eventually HQ let me close up around 2PM.

I don't think I'll ever forget hearing about the jumpers. Esquire did a detailed but painful piece about it today. Unreal...

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I was a junior in college. My wife and I had late classes that day so I wasn't even out of bed. Jen had gotten up to make coffee and came to get me when the first plane hit. We were glued to the TV the rest of the day. NSU cancelled classes and we didn't leave the house till we had to go to work that afternoon.

9/11 is the third day in my lifetime that everyone knows exactly where they were and what they were doing (Challenger explosion and the Murrah Building bombing being the others).

Members online

Latest posts