User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really liking the 2012 Topps GM autograph set

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really liking the 2012 Topps GM autograph set

When I started diving deeper into Dodger autographs several years back, I was happy to learn that then Dodgers GM Ned Colletti was part of an interesting autograph set from Topps. I found one at a good price and thought what a neat concept. Now, prior to building this extended autograph collection, I might have felt slighted if I had pulled a GM autograph, especially one from a team I had no interest in. I can see how this may be considered the "checklist" of autographed cards. No kid ever actually wanted a checklist card, right?

Moving forward a few years and Colletti is out and the Dodger hire Andrew Friedman to be President of Baseball operations. Wouldn't you know it, Friedman is in this set as well, albeit as a Devil Ray GM. Still, another certified autograph of a Dodgers executive that would otherwise be nearly impossible to get otherwise. It took me a little while to find one at a good price, but finally landed it.

Tonight, I am updating my Dodgers personnel spreadsheet to include the newest additions from 2018. I decided to see if any new coaches or others (front office) changes occurred that would add some additional signature targets. I stumble upon Josh Byrnes, who has been VP of Baseball Operation for the Dodgers since he left the Padres in 2014. Yep, you guessed it. Byrnes was also in the set as the Padres GM. I snagged one off COMC to add a third Dodger executive certified autograph to the collection.

Will this set keep giving? Only time will tell.

I've said it before and especially since my interest in organizational autographs expands further, I wish the card makers would continue to dive down and bring more creativity to the autograph game. We have an endless supply of Garvey, Lopes and Sutton autographs to last a lifetime. Let's see more managers, coaches, announcers, executives, owners, etc. I really think that is a neat twist to collecting signatures. There are some great possibilities out there, past and present, like the Archives sets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	83614Click image for larger version. 

Name:	72449-AGM-AFFr.jpg 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	83615Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-1.jpg 
Size:	140.6 KB 
ID:	83616

griffey-collector
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I did t even know this was a thing. pretty cool though
    the 2001 sweet spot set had a few managers tossed in.

also I believe its was 2000 topps opening day with the game used bases is full of or all managers. I have the Bobby cox is the only reason I know.
    Last edited by michaelstepper; 10-03-2018 at 01:35 AM.
    Sweet Spot Signatures 922 and counting
    Sweet Sigs 64/71 = 90%

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think they miss a great opportunity in all sports to include kinds of random autographs. For baseball I don't know why they don't include all of the manager autos in base Topps and add random figures to Ginter. How much cooler would it be to have a Vin Scully or Theo Epstein from early in their career or a HOF manager RC auto. Obviously there are plenty that would ultimately be garbage, but we have no shortage of garbage autos in every product.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

piledriver1
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when UD put a Brian Cashman auto card in some set, I think that big Yankees-focused set from 2008 or so. The same one that had John Goodman and Jason Alexander. I thought it was weird but also a pretty neat idea. I didn't know this set existed, either. But certainly they have long careers, potentially, so decades from now there could be notable guys.
    Looking for 2011 Topps Marquee Museum autographs, rare Frank Thomases, and any Grady Sizemores I don't have

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
    I wish the card makers would continue to dive down and bring more creativity to the autograph game.
    don't mention "scout autos".

I personally wish there were more announcer autos. I know Vin Scully has autos but his popularity plus extremely limited supply make them well out of my price range so my announcer autos are those announcers who were players and have certified autos from their playing days or as team fan favorites as a retired player.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked the umpire autos in 2004 Bowman Heritage, ended up collecting most of the set because they were so cheap (which is why I think most people didn't like the set, or at least they were bummed to pull one).

Last edited by Mighty Bombjack; 10-03-2018 at 02:02 PM.
    HOF auto collector - I'm up to 258 different in my collection (used to have a photobucket link here, but photobucket sucks)

GO ROCKIES!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelstepper View Post
    I did t even know this was a thing. pretty cool though
    the 2001 sweet spot set had a few managers tossed in.

also I believe its was 2000 topps opening day with the game used bases is full of or all managers. I have the Bobby cox is the only reason I know.
    2002 Topps flagship had a really cool Coaches' Collection subset, with GU bats and jerseys of managers and coaches. They have a picture of the guy with his current team, as well as an image of card from playing days. I've been slowly building the set over the years.

Last edited by Mighty Bombjack; 10-03-2018 at 02:01 PM.
    HOF auto collector - I'm up to 258 different in my collection (used to have a photobucket link here, but photobucket sucks)

GO ROCKIES!

Pinbreaker
     pinbreaker
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a Managers auto set I thought about doing.. Everytime I see one, I see how much these guys want and say no..
    Then I look at the completed ones and I think about doing them again..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-Topps-...QAAOSwNJ9ZteBW

Name:	pinella.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	83630

griffey-collector
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinbreaker View Post
    Here is a Managers auto set I thought about doing.. Everytime I see one, I see how much these guys want and say no..
    Then I look at the completed ones and I think about doing them again..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-Topps-...QAAOSwNJ9ZteBW

Name:	pinella.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	83630
    that's the set I was talking about!
    I have Cox. absolutely beautiful card. I've thought several times of snagging that piniella but always so expensive.
    Sweet Sigs 64/71 = 90%

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never seen that 2001 manager set before. The Pinella and Oates on eBay are sweet (and their prices reflect that).

GO ROCKIES!

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember seeing that Oaters a while back. Of course, him dying has made that card that much more desirable, but they seem to be tough in general. I am speaking strictly from a collector standpoint, which is why I added the checklist comment. I know people busting packs for resale don't want the weird random crap unless it sells well.

I agree about Vin of course and won't pay several hundred for one, so he is out of my range.

Some of the "cooler" non player autos for me over the years have been Eric Gregg, Sy Berger, Marvin Miller, Stuart Scott and the 2017 Archives set got me re interested in that type of subject. There was Lasorda (manager), Hirschbeck & Joyce (Umps), Castiglione, Sterling and Brennaman (announcers), Manfred and Clark (MLB), Bayless, Rosenthal, Gammons, Cohen (think these were all writers/media guys) and then the fans (Bald Vinny & Hample). This year the other subjects are less exciting, but may add a James, Thorn and Kay if the prices are right.

griffey-collector
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

that umpire set looks quite interesting. may have to look that up
    Sweet Sigs 64/71 = 90%

rebelpawn
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to pay quite a bit for my Jimy Williams and the auto isn't even perfect….

Also have a Grady Little...

Collecting Austin Kearns and Bobby Doerr.

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    632 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, now I have to pick up a Sandy Alderson...

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

griffey-collector
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelpawn View Post
    I had to pay quite a bit for my Jimy Williams and the auto isn't even perfect….

Also have a Grady Little...

I have a jim leyritz like that one.
    Sweet Sigs 64/71 = 90%

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast