User Tag List

Thread: 31 years in the making meeting Darryl Strawberry and add the rare 1981 Lynchburg Mets Brook Tr

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

31 years in the making meeting Darryl Strawberry and add the rare 1981 Lynchburg Mets Brook Tr

So on Friday September 13, 2019 I went to the Billy Graham Library and had dinner with Darryl Strawberry. To my surprise there were 300 plus people. I thought it would be smaller and more personal. For $25 I can't complain much. The food was superb! As everyone was eating I asked our umpire ( waiter) about the big sign that was up as you walk in. He said he wasn't sure and pointed out the lady that I needed to talk too. So I approached her and asked what they were going to do with the sign after everything was over? She said to find her after. So I sat down they started playing a game catching foam strawberries in a glove on there head which was fun. He came out and preached which I enjoyed very much!! They announced that he would sign 1 autograph for everyone. So I was 6th in line a lady that was helping looked at me and said no posed pictures i was by myself so I didn't get a picture with him which I am sad about. He signed my baseball and I asked him to date it and he did I shook his hand and told him I appreciate him and he said I appreciate you and thanks for coming out. I saw my umpire holding open the last door I asked him where the lady was he said he didn't know to try and find her. So I did she look right at me and had the foam strawberries in her had I asked if I could have one she said yes and as far as the sign she said you can have it. To just grab it and not make a big deal. I said I can do that. On the way out the umpire was still there I told him what she sad he said I trust you. I grabbed it turned to him said I appreciate you he said nice grab everyone was looking at me like I committed a felony. Went to my car to the hotel called my wife who stayed at the hotel and told her to come outside. She did a I brought out the sign she was laughing so hard!! So it was a great night one I will never forget!!

As far as the 1981 Lynchburg mets Brook Treakle postcard. I told my wife about it she starting bid and bid till she on her account so I was blown away about how far she went and grateful that she dine that for me!! Sorry for the long post I just wanted to share. Please comment and enjoy the pictures. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190918-155524_eBay.jpeg 
Views:	36 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	93592Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190918-155534_eBay.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	93593Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6676.jpeg 
Views:	43 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	93594Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190913_194725.jpeg 
Views:	38 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	93595Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190913_182753.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	93596

Sent from my SM-G960U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    630 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thatís awesome, and sweet sign, I met Darryl at a book signing once, got his book signed and a luggage tag too

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great story! What a great night. That post card is incredible as well, have never seen that before

SCREW PHOTOBUCKET
    Jeff Cirillo Spread Sheet ||
    Hall of Unending Gratitude: dazed, magicpapa, uniquebaseballcards, and the vigilant eye of tonsofcommons

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a fantastic story, sounds like quite a night!

dfs1963
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great story, Congrats on the pick-ups!
    Dave

Collecting: Amos Otis & Topps Kansas City Royals
    Amos Otis Collection (164/188) 87.2%

Thanks for helping with my player/set collections: magicpapa, Jose Reyes Collector, bouwob, klute14, tpeichel, gt2590 & Show-Me Sports Cards (LCS)

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stood right behind Straw in line at a Johnny Rockettís in the food court at the Galleria Mall in St. Louis a few years ago. I didnít bother him, but I did tell a guy who I saw wearing a Mets hat where he was sitting.

Resident Yadier Molina, and Pro Wrestling super fan.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always nice when a passionate collector can turn a dream into reality with a meeting of his/her favorite player. That is too bad about the photos, but I suspect it had to do with running you all through the line as fast as possible. Should have gotten that postcard signed if you had it at the time. Balls are dime a dozen in my book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think thatís awesome! Thank you for sharing that beautiful story. For what itís worth, if it means anything, I dated Darrell for about three months when I was 18. LOL. Past life

rp7001
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice story! Sounds like a fun time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first favorite player. Was he a nice guy? Always ignores my Instagram messages which is a shame

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KennerKid View Post
    My first favorite player. Was he a nice guy? Always ignores my Instagram messages which is a shame
    Yeah he was super nice!! I was trying to be calm and not fanboy! He shook my hand and said he appreciate me coming out! Just wish I could have got a picture with him!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Freedom Card Board mobile app