User Tag List

Thread: Topps Chrome Design Question (Historical) "bubble effect"

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Topps Chrome Design Question (Historical) "bubble effect"

Really enjoying this year's Topps Chrome design for some reason. I was looking through some old cards and noticed the 2011 Chrome design did not have the (this is going to be hard to describe) sort of "bubble" effect or "outline" effect around the player. Did Topps stop using that design effect for awhile and then come back to it?

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you referring to “etching”? Where the player is outlined by what feels like a defined groove in the card? It’s been an on again/off again thing over the years

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    SCREW PHOTOBUCKET
    Jeff Cirillo Spread Sheet ||
    Hall of Unending Gratitude: dazed, magicpapa, uniquebaseballcards, and the vigilant eye of tonsofcommons

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, exactly. That's a great description. The "etching" around the player, almost make a 3-D effect. I'm looking back through some old cards and 2011 just jumped out because it is a flat/smooth surface, so the chrome itself doesn't really pop as much.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1999 Topps Chrome had the best etching.

Last edited by linuxabuser; 09-29-2019 at 12:26 PM.
    Scanned cards: https://goo.gl/9QaZll Updated 10/17/2019

2011 Topps Heritage Tints Red - 79/87/Blue - 68/87/Green - 81/87

piledriver1
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Topps stopped doing it in all but the most basic way years ago. If you like etching, and I think most do, Panini Prizm/Optic products are pretty good, especially in football. Their refractor versions really pop and the details sometimes are so involved it looks like a broken Iphone screen. But I think they've cut down on it, too. I'm sure it's more expensive in time and developing whoever they make the crinkles.
    Looking for 2011 Topps Marquee Museum autographs, rare Frank Thomases, and any Grady Sizemores I don't have

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the etching really makes chrome cards "pop". Unfortunately, Topps decided it wasn't necessary for whatever reason (cost cutting, laziness, cutting corners to rush the product). Bowman Chrome? Looks like Pinnacle Certified and the refractors are nothing more than the mirror parallels. Topps Chrome, thankfully, utilizes the etching once again. Don't get me started on Finest/Bowman's Best, either. Ugh.

As someone mentioned already, it seems that Panini, for now at least, has etching in all of their prizm-esque products (Select, Prizm, Optic, Crusade, etc).