Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Addition Through Subtraction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I always find it interesting when a team has a star player who seems to be a key piece, probably their best hitter, making them competitive but then he leaves and only after that do they win. Watching the Nats dismantle the Cards the last few days and wondering what Bryce Harper is feeling right now. I know there are many examples of this, who can name some?

Foremost in my mind is Billy Butler leaving the Royals after they reached but lost the WS, and the year before they won it all. Butler obviously wasn't the Royals' big star but he'd been their homegrown guy and, from my point of view in the hobby, my favorite Royal. Frank Thomas played a handful of games the year the White Sox won, though he hadn't been the 90s Frank Thomas for some years.

Last edited:

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
Yes, that Frank Thomas deal in 2005 was hard to watch...I can only imagine what he would have done in the postseason had he been 100%.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
Two of my most hated teams are DONE. The cards and the dodgers. Now it should be the yanks out next. That would make my year better.

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
My memory might not be 100% accurate, but it seems like the Yankees and Braves got a lot better after Don Mattingly and Dale Murphy were gone.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
That's true. Murphy left the Braves after the 1990 season, and in 1991 he got to to watch their epic WS against the Twins and their subsequent dominance in the 90s. Mattingly retired after the 1995 season, with Tino taking over at 1B for their next dynasty. Not that there's any causality, but it's just got to be a lifelong burn.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Tino did put up a few monster years in New York but I think the emergence of a few others played a bigger role than mattingly stepping aside.
Even as a Sox fan I was never a huge Nomar guy, but to this day it stuns me they won it after removing him from the team, injuries aside he had a real solid career, he would have been a Boston legend had he been on the final 04 roster

RNCoyote

Nov 4, 2009
Texas
Two for 1988 Dodgers team. Bob Welch was traded during the offseason to the A's. During the season they sent Pedro Guerrero to Cardinals

Members online