Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Close the flood gates.. please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
I hate the game used card market. Here's why:

1. It's watered down. Game used swatches and items used to have meaning when they were truly limited. Now, there's so much crap out there that it's not "talk of the block" to have a game used card anymore...see also "1/1 ridiculousness".

2. There have been too many reports of swatches being just some random, cheap-o jersey being cut up and presented as authentic game-used; it's unappealing to me because unless I see the item come off the player's back/hand/foot/crotch and made into a card, there's no way to know for sure that it's 100% authentic.

3. Most importantly, I despise the destruction of iconic pieces of baseball legend just so a company can hope to sell more product. Once it's gone, it's gone! It's akin to cutting up the Mona Lisa into 500 pieces just so 500 different people can own a piece. Absolutely sacrilegious.

4. It's annoying that card companies put a useless "congratulations" statement on the back of the card. Don't congratulate me for buying your product; give me a cool story or background about the player or the item that is on the card.

To be fair, you’d be critical no matter what they did.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Eh.. somewhat.. I don’t like the metal aspect of this product or the addition of game used to the market.. but.. I’ve actually had a change of heart in some ways. I won’t ever touch repacked stuff but I’ve picked up some of the previous leaf ruth releases in Boston game used and don’t have a total hatred for the army football cards.. I also like some of the recent game used multi player stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

I hate the game used card market. Here's why:

1. It's watered down. Game used swatches and items used to have meaning when they were truly limited. Now, there's so much crap out there that it's not "talk of the block" to have a game used card anymore...see also "1/1 ridiculousness".

2. There have been too many reports of swatches being just some random, cheap-o jersey being cut up and presented as authentic game-used; it's unappealing to me because unless I see the item come off the player's back/hand/foot/crotch and made into a card, there's no way to know for sure that it's 100% authentic.

3. Most importantly, I despise the destruction of iconic pieces of baseball legend just so a company can hope to sell more product. Once it's gone, it's gone! It's akin to cutting up the Mona Lisa into 500 pieces just so 500 different people can own a piece. Absolutely sacrilegious.

4. It's annoying that card companies put a useless "congratulations" statement on the back of the card. Don't congratulate me for buying your product; give me a cool story or background about the player or the item that is on the card.

I agree with most of this. I still get excited when I get a game used card.. player worn tempers my excitement a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
I hate the game used market for this reason.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
How do you know that Brian didn't buy a Jumbo patch card that was made by Donruss/Playoff and then cut that jumbo up into smaller pieces..

It's so nice to see so many players slamming the company that is willing to try and get some stuff out whether it's a Game Used Bat or a Game Used Jersey..

The last few years I have seen several cards with game used jerseys and game used bats that are extremely cheap..
Take a few of these cards apart and then combine the pieces to make a quad gu bat card without cutting up an original bat..

ruth1.JPG

ruth2.JPG

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I originally loved game used, like most everyone else. That upper deck set with griffey, gwynn and ordonez blew me away. Then it got out of hand fast. There is a part of me that doesn't love the idea of cutting up a bat or Jersey from some historically important player but then part of me thinks that maybe it's better for several people to be able to own a piece rather than it sitting behind glass or possibly in storage somewhere. Also game used is still a thrill for the younger participants in the hobby, and many many players have enough GU cards where something of most players is still relatively affordable, giving kids a collecting thrill needs to be a priority so they stay with the hobby as they get older.

Members online