Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What brings you here day after day?

What is your #1 draw to this site?

• Transactions. Here to deal in cards and the rest is static in the background.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I'm sure for most, there are a variety of reasons why you spend the time you do visiting a site like this, but for this exercise, you can only pick the ONE PRIMARY reason. I'm curious, given the likely meager sample size this may receive, but why do you come back here day after day? It's mostly curiosity and maybe the answers could help shape a better site for everyone.

Last edited:

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
If I can only pick one I think it is the wealth of knowledge on this board. If I don't have the answer for something I can be sure someone here does.
I do like the ability to talk on topic with fellow collectors, and off topic with the degenerates in the night thread. Sharing my highs and lows of my own collection and seeing some of the amazing cards in others.

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
I like the discussions, seeing cards that others have, hoping to find a lead on my Holy Grail, and sharing/learning interesting tidbits about cards that I collect. Oh, and Tanner's fun stories!

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Mostly 5 and 4.

A good chunk of 3, though I have a blog and do brain dumps sometimes.

I've had a little of 2, though I don't really put myself out there much.

And I can't say much for 1. Other than cgilmo and mouschi, I couldn't tell you anything about any users. I don't follow who posts what and who holds what opinions. Even though I have been on this site for over a decade I don't really participate in a social mode.

shuedini

Aug 7, 2008
Indiana
It's been a long time since I've been here. I'm making a comeback though...mostly because I love Gilmore.

I'm planning on trying to fill in some missing pieces to my Rolen PC and finally finish this 1999 SP Signature autograph set I've been neglecting lately.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Seeing the "love" given daily in the "Anything Goes" forum is like a fireside warm hug from a lovely lady with a soft blanket around her...

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
It's been a long time since I've been here. I'm making a comeback though...mostly because I love Gilmore.

I'm planning on trying to fill in some missing pieces to my Rolen PC and finally finish this 1999 SP Signature autograph set I've been neglecting lately.

Long time no see
Welcome Back

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA

Welcome back..

I thought you gave up filling that 1999 SP Signature set..

shuedini

Aug 7, 2008
Indiana
Long time no see
Welcome Back

Welcome back..

I thought you gave up filling that 1999 SP Signature set..

Thanks, fellas. It's nice to see some old names here still.

I could never give up on that set. Far too many kind people here have contributed to it. Now I need to scan everything again. Apparently Photobucket took a dump during my absence and the scans from that set (and my Rolen PC) were all lost a few computers ago.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
From my side...

- No prospect of obtaining cards to help my collection. This isn't the place to buy/sell/trade.

- Not seeking validation in a social media sense. This isn't the hotbed of rumors or hot takes!

- Interacting with a group of genuinely good guys that share a common interest. Yes. This is the FCB wheelhouse.

- Killing time, mostly late at night, typing away on my little keyboard and contributing a little something to the online universe of my collecting habit? For sure.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
I joined here because I could see it was a stellar community with a wealth of knowledge and a healthy disposition. My primary focus on FCB is as a lurker but I read every thread that I find interesting, which happens to include the player collector threads. The majority of my posts go into my Adam Dunn and Mystery Cuts threads because those are 2 of my main focus points as a collector. When I see player posts in the 90's threads, early 00's, Bagwell, Griffey, Henderson, etc. (seriously, every player thread, I've read every post) I just click and pop some popcorn. My favorite part of this hobby are the long-term collectors, the people with focus and dedication.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Again, small sample size, but I find it interesting on a trading card site that nobody so far is here for the trading/transactions. I have never used these sites as a primary means of advancing my collection, but trades and deals just seemed to happen along the way. Previously to calling this site my home base, I was pretty active on Topps and The Bench, both of which lead to many deals. What lead to my losing interest and eventually retracting from those sites were the lack of interesting topics and discussions. I pop into some other sites periodically and even comment here and there if good reason pops up to do so, but nothing like it used to be.

I do a majority of my buying on ebay and a sliver through COMC these days, but primarily want to see and be involved in discussions about collectibles on the card message boards. It is not that I would not be willing to wheel and deal if something appeared that was in my collecting interest. I enjoy the show off and player/auto specialty threads but I want to know more about the items sometimes and why they are important to the owner. If I can be exposed to a set or card I have never heard of or seen before, that is why I come to these sites. Yes, if you collect Terry Pendleton it is going to be obvious that you are excited to pick up a new relatively common card you needed, but what about those oddball pick-ups that don't fit your collection or maybe it's a Pendleton card that was so hard to find you have never seen one in 33 years of searching. Help us understand your passion and joy in finding this gem.

I guess my point for this poll was to satisfy my curiosity partially, but also hoping to prompt more relevant conversations and participation. A "good" thread might get a few pages of responses and maybe the same 15-20 people commenting and then it dies. I want to know what will capture and keep more people engaged for longer times.

My hope is that a wider variety of people will share and comment more, with some thought and effort into the replies (not everything needs to be a Tanner event, but something more than a 1 word or sentence answer is appreciated too). I think one of the biggest problems with these sites is recruiting new people willing to share and contribute and to keep existing members engaged and interersted, especially when similar subjects pop back up that have been discussed before. I know a lot of sites have staggering membership numbers, but how many of these were one time posters or lurkers and you find that the same 1% contribute most of the content. Keep that in mind the next time a new subject is posted. Maybe instead of reading it and moving on silently, toss out a comment, share a similar experience or post something to keep the conversation going.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It's too bad that most people just lurk on this site.
Not just with discussions, but polls too.

After four full days and about 350 views, only 28 people have voted in the poll, and even fewer have written a response.
I understand some people can't see polls on their phone for some reason, but they can still see the thread and comment.

Despite the low participation compared to other boards, I prefer the familiarity of the members here. I come here to discuss the hobby and baseball in general. It's a small group, but there are so many different specialties on this board and it's fun to learn new things and even more fun to have feelings of nostalgia.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I check in on the Baseball Transactions and Baseball Hobby Talk multiple times a day. I'll look at the box break section every now and again to see what people are pulling. It seems like the transaction thread (at least baseball, since that's what I look at) has grown and has more posts in the last year or so. I don't know if there's any data on that, but it seems like the slowness of that particular side of the site gets brought up often, so if it indeed is growing, that is great.

I continue to come here for multiple reasons. One and most importantly, I can check-in multiple times a day and there's usually new posts to read and check in on. Another reason is that people are actually mature here and there is no drama! Sure we like to give each other a hard time, but rarely do you find threads getting closed because the same people are taking it too far time and time again. I joined BO a few years back because all I heard about was how good their transaction section was and I thought it would be a nice way to buy/trade for cool stuff. After a number (not 1 or 2, but multiple times) of feeling like I was the chum thrown into circling sharks and people continually attempting to completely rip me off on trades, I left and haven't been back since. That doesn't happen here.

KennerKid

Oct 19, 2019
I just want to meet other collectors and see their stuff. I like the lack of smart ass and snark and one upsmanship here just nice people. Blowout forums full of evil people and ruin

Dazed

Aug 7, 2008
East of KC MO
I usually check in a few times a day during the week. I mainly look at the Baseball, Box & Case Breaks & the Baseball Buy/Sell/Trade forums.

The things I like best are the people, knowledge and lack of drama. As far as threads, the Team & Player Collector, General Show-off, Jaypers daily update & draft threads, The Morning & Night Crew Threads & the mouschi/Tanner threads. Most of the time that I have a question someone either knows the answer or sends me in the right direction to get an answer.

Another thing is getting the occasional message wanting my address & a few days later getting something in the mail from a board member just because it fits my collection. I have tried to help others but am always way behind in paying it forward.

Members online

Latest posts