Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1993 magnet prototypes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Definitely unique, have never seen them. Strange that there is no manufacturer or year though.

K34PuckettAddict

May 28, 2009
I’m going with a well designed ACEO item on these. They look really good. That Puckett photo has been used on other things well after ‘93. I just can’t place where that photo originated at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
I would have purchased the Will Clark just to be sure, but I'm also leaning towards ACEO type/custom. It looks ok to me, and would have easily been worth the price point, but I hope they are vintage and not some new custom card. Those that purchased should keep us up to date. Maybe I'll add it to a need list if those that receive them lean towards real.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
And why do thirty-six Design Proofs” instead of a handful? And why make a proof a magnet?

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
In the listing the seller does say he thinks they were ACEO cards that were never released. Could be true. Could also be magnets he just printed up in the basement too :). But he says he bought the set to get his player (Justice), and lo and behold the Justice is the only one among the 36 that's not for sale. So who knows, I tend to believe his story. Sounds like something I'd do if I ran across some weird set - buy it for the Alomar and then sell the rest at reasonable prices to other player collectors.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
If I had to place a bet, I would say that they are homemade items made well after the 90s. They do look nice, like a 1948-49 Leaf design. If they were unique 1/1 items and were proven to be some sort of prototype item that was made by a legit company seeking licensing, then they were sold cheap. If they were made and more could follow, they are a bit on the high sige price-wise.

It is not impossible for something odd like that to be tucked away for so long and be unknown to the collecting world, but with no other information or backing story, it is a gamble. Albiet a relatively cheap gamble for those who bought their favorites I suppose.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Yeah. I think you're totally right in that assessment.

Today I took the plunge and bought the Alomar for my PC. Obscure 1993 prototype or modern basement-printed ebay hack job....well I'll never know. But I got a very slight raise this week, so what the hell :)

If I had to place a bet, I would say that they are homemade items made well after the 90s. They do look nice, like a 1948-49 Leaf design. If they were unique 1/1 items and were proven to be some sort of prototype item that was made by a legit company seeking licensing, then they were sold cheap. If they were made and more could follow, they are a bit on the high sige price-wise.

It is not impossible for something odd like that to be tucked away for so long and be unknown to the collecting world, but with no other information or backing story, it is a gamble. Albiet a relatively cheap gamble for those who bought their favorites I suppose.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I thought about grabbing either the Belle or the Butler (only Dodger). The other players I have collected in the past were either too much or already gone. I was almost ok with the $8-10 price range, but then the seller wants another $5 for s/h and ebay tosses on another 10% tax now, so another $1.50 or so. Now I am into one for close to $15-17. If there was a Garvey, I probably would have strongly considered it or bought, but $15 for Butler, no thanks.

Apr 13, 2010
I’m going with a well designed ACEO item on these. They look really good. That Puckett photo has been used on other things well after ‘93. I just can’t place where that photo originated at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
These are certainly reasonably priced, but I'm skeptical of most "prototype" cards (for example see the Alta Loma Cigar cards thread). However, at least the Puckett photo checks out (ca. 1992 , licensed via Getty Images).

Upper Deck used that image on a 2005 Kirby card. There must be others!

2005 Donruss Greats - Hall of Fame Souvenirs - Bats [Memorabilia] #HOFS-20 - Kirby Puckett
Courtesy of COMC.com

Members online