Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Major League Baseball proposes eliminating 40 Minor League teams and moving others.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Hopefully your local Minor League team is not shut down or moved.

It actually sounds like Minor League players would benefit from this, including higher salaries and less travel. But I feel bad for small town local fans of the teams that are eliminated or move.

ESPN -- Major League Baseball is in negotiations with its minor league teams about efforts to "reorganize elements of the system" that could reduce the number of affiliated teams from 160 to 120.

The current agreement between Major League Baseball and the minor league teams -- called the Professional Baseball Agreement -- expires at the end of the 2020 season. MLB is looking to make some major changes, according to reports, that would overhaul all levels of the minors, particularly at low Class A and below

"We are in discussions with the owners of the Minor League teams to reorganize elements of the system with the goal of improving the working conditions of minor league players," the MLB statement said, "including upgrading the facilities to Major League standards, increasing player compensation, reducing travel time between affiliates for road games, improving transportation and hotel accommodations, increasing the number of off days, and providing better geographical affiliations between the MLB clubs and affiliates."

Other major changes would involve overhauling full-season minor leagues and shuffling teams throughout the Triple-A, Double-A, high Class A and low Class A levels into leagues that are more geographically friendly, according to Baseball America.

Pat O'Conner, the president of Minor League Baseball, sent a letter warning teams of "significant impending changes" and advised not making any major decisions, including financial commitments, beyond the 2020 season.

Some minor league teams would lose existing affiliations with major league franchises under the proposal, according to the reports.

Last edited:

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
This sounds like a pretty significant change. An article I read said the short season leagues would more than likely to be the ones to go, with full season teams the ones to get restructured. I’m not really sure how those small markets would be able to survive a baseball team without an affiliation...they really struggle to get fans there as it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online