Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Baseball Card Math Cards. Anyone ever seen these before? Know anything about them?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pete-Rose-...370754?hash=item54782b8482:g:lBQAAOSwKIhdtbt3

I have messaged the seller who has a bunch of these for sale at BIN/BO to see if i can get more information. They seem as though they could have been a legit issue by a company or sponsor, but no year or company details. they seem a bit too detailed to be a mass produced fantasy card, but those are getting better and better by the day too.

Some of them are a bit pricy, although the seller looks to be open to offers. I bought the Garvey, just in case this is a chance at a really seldom seen and unique oddball, as it was only $10. I offered less initially, but then figured I was risking this item I have never seen in 40 years of collecting garvey over a few bucks. I went back and just did the BIN. I checked sold listings and at the time, only the Ryan has also sold.

If it is a custom/fantasy/ACEO card, well then I have paid more for them before, so I will not be embarrassed or regretful.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    526 KB · Views: 40
  • s-l1600-1.jpg
    s-l1600-1.jpg
    499.8 KB · Views: 39

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pete-Rose-...370754?hash=item54782b8482:g:lBQAAOSwKIhdtbt3

I have messaged the seller who has a bunch of these for sale at BIN/BO to see if i can get more information. They seem as though they could have been a legit issue by a company or sponsor, but no year or company details. they seem a bit too detailed to be a mass produced fantasy card, but those are getting better and better by the day too.

Some of them are a bit pricy, although the seller looks to be open to offers. I bought the Garvey, just in case this is a chance at a really seldom seen and unique oddball, as it was only $10. I offered less initially, but then figured I was risking this item I have never seen in 40 years of collecting garvey over a few bucks. I went back and just did the BIN. I checked sold listings and at the time, only the Ryan has also sold.

If it is a custom/fantasy/ACEO card, well then I have paid more for them before, so I will not be embarrassed or regretful.

I have never seen them before.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
As discussions progress on other boards and I have had more time to dig myself, it appears that these were likely made/issued (or made to look like they would have been made/issued) in 1990. Not sure why someone would go through the effort to fake these to look older if they were made recently and the back seems a little too detailed for the average 80s/90s era broder type card, so I am guessing since they seem unknown to most serious player colelctors, that this may be something special. Besides, if they were broder type cards from the 90s, everyone would have one already! Perhaps it was even a prototype set that was pitched for larger production and never got the nod (hence the lack of copyright and manufacturer/sponsor info? Who knows though unless more information becomes available.

The stats on some of the players active at that time are through the 1989 season and Gaylord Perry, who was elected to the HOF in 1991, was not mentioned as such. The other HOFers in by that time were.s-l1600.jpgs-l1600-1.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
In case anyone was wondering, these cards are oversized. Given the name, they remind me of flash card sized iterms, except there is nothing to flash on them.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
The artwork looks very similar to that of the artist that did "Pat Summerall's All-Time Greats Sports Stars" books that were given away at Tru-Value in the early 80's. Wonder if they are one and the same?

1981-True-Value-Pat-Summeralls-All-Time-Great.jpg

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Very cool find. I have never seen them. I have to agree the artwork does look similar to the Tru-value.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts