Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Garage pull of Vintage cards - Advice needed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

amullins

Nov 10, 2019
I apologize in advance, if I seem like a scrub. I haven't collected in years but have grown to want and learn more.

This weekend, the wife and I went to a known garage location that vendors sell all their crap. This one seller seemed to want to get rid of everything and stop the hobby all together, so I took advantage. The list below is by far the best cards I've ever seen and created.

1992 Topps Gold - Set Complete. Paid 10
1990 Leaf - Set Complete. Paid 10
1983 Donruss - Set complete. Paid 10 - growing trend?
1984 Topps - Set Complete
1988 Topps Football Set - Complete
1989 Bowman - Set Complete
1989 Upper Deck - Set Complete - Griffey standing nice and proud (off center but still gorgeous)
Also I bought a set of binders, four of them ranging from multiples to singles and sets in them. All below 1990s. One of the biggest pulls was the 1993 Jeter Gold rookie. I only paid 10 bucks for all the binders.

I have more, I just havent gone through it all. All in all I spent 290 bucks including the separate singles I rifled through. A pile of Yaz 60-70 cards - all looking gorgeous. Basically sat in a box for 40 years. Every card looks crisp, no broken corners that I can see.

My question is, should everything of value be graded?

Thanks in advance!

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
First off welcome to a great site that has knowledgeable members.

If the Yaz cards look good, send them into PSA to get graded.. If the Jeters look good, I would send them in as well..

There are some members on this message board that send in cards to get graded at a discounted rate. (I use Jeff Verrier)

amullins

Nov 10, 2019
First off welcome to a great site that has knowledgeable members.

If the Yaz cards look good, send them into PSA to get graded.. If the Jeters look good, I would send them in as well..

There are some members on this message board that send in cards to get graded at a discounted rate. (I use Jeff Verrier)

I got the silver membership because thats what I saw online as the goto membership.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Congrats on the great find!

And welcome to the Site, no need to apologize for lack of info, but I will accept the '84 Topps set as compensation for it instead! :cool:

And I second the "sending the Yaz and Jeter Gold in to grade" idea. I'd also check the POP reports on the better '90 Leafs if you're think they're in gradable condition...

amullins

Nov 10, 2019
Welcome to the site. It all sounds like a nice score on the cards for just under $300.00.

Well... I was just gifted close to 500k cards from the same gentleman. He enjoyed spending so much time with me that he gave me everything he had. He was in his late 70s and I guess lost interest. All complete sets, 1987 Topps, Fleer, Donruss all the way to 1992 Topps. All complete, he said he just built the set. Put them in the closet and never touched them again.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
It really depends on what your planning to do with them. If you want to grade them to sell and maximize profit, then definitely if they'll get high grades. Some people also just like them graded to get them encapsulated for protection and also authenticates them as well. If they are Yaz playing days cards, say pre-80, I'd consider grading them. I would also grade any Jeter rookies if you think they'll get a high grade. I would not grade commons, even of big names but that's just me. Newer stuff post-80s, need to get a 9 or 10 in order to be worth it...and usually a 10 to cover the cost of grading, shipping, insurance, etc.

Members online

Latest posts