Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1989 Upper Deck Rare Black Border Version

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WaxPax

Came across these while looking for some Vintage items, decided to take a chance and buy this one….Anyone ever see these before?

6LZ61vIl.jpg

uoIb8Gml.jpg

Apparently there are only a few of each out there ….Blank back and complete back

uTuWPfWl.png

RfENvFUl.png

I was concerned about how authentic these may be, then discovered this Robert Edwards auction from 2017

HxIHxnTh.png

I went on the Net54 site and found the quote mentioned in the REA auction

2JuFAQlh.png

Apparently they were around back in 1991, same Net54 thread from 2014, subject thread link is below

jUsCIuCl.png

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=197063

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Never saw those either. There's the 88 promos with the variations on placement of the hologram and such but never saw black borders. I may be misremembering, but I think there was a vague reference to them in Beckett or other magazine back in the day when they put out their 5-year reprint set that had a bunch of different years' cards with black borders. Pretty cool, though.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
as per UD
"Yes. They were test proofs we did back in 88. We didn’t do them for the rookies though.
"

1993 5th Anniversary

5thanni.jpg

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Remembering when an insert like that griffey (minus the auto, of course) was a thrill to pull. Some of the simplist items were just plain fun and "book value" still wasn't the only thing people cared about. I guess for me, since I was on break in the late 80s/very early 90s when Beckett and the BV arrorws really started to brainwash people, even '93 was a simpler time.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Remembering when an insert like that griffey (minus the auto, of course) was a thrill to pull. Some of the simplist items were just plain fun and "book value" still wasn't the only thing people cared about. I guess for me, since I was on break in the late 80s/very early 90s when Beckett and the BV arrorws really started to brainwash people, even '93 was a simpler time.

1992collecting.jpg

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Oh man. Memory lane. Opening packs of junk Donruss and Fleer, getting pumped when you pulled those Don Heinkel or Paul Gibson rookies! OK maybe not that pumped. But they were legit rookie cards, and if Beckett had an up arrow next to them, you know from $0.15 last month to $0.25 this month? Boioioioiong! And on those rare occasions you pulled a Grace, or a Biggio, or an Abbott, or god forbid a Griffey? OMFFFFFFFG!

I really do miss those days sometimes. My little brother and I would hork cards right and left from the big stores, and open them at home hoping mom wouldn't catch on to our thievery. Such little criminals. I'm such an honest individual in my old age that I can hardly believe what a thief I was back then. But maybe all that pointless petty theft was an oblique influence on me somehow. Who knows. It was fun though.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Never saw those either. There's the 88 promos with the variations on placement of the hologram and such but never saw black borders. I may be misremembering, but I think there was a vague reference to them in Beckett or other magazine back in the day when they put out their 5-year reprint set that had a bunch of different years' cards with black borders. Pretty cool, though.

z78k6ibmlxnp.jpg

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
Wow 1989 cards are now 30 years old. In 1989 1959 cards were 30 years old and were called vintage to collectors back then. Sooo whats up with the snobby vintage collectors today that still will not call 1989 cards vintage? Guess I answered my own question. Snobs!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts