User Tag List

Thread: Don't you hate it when this happens to you?

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't you hate it when this happens to you?

I recently discovered a card that I was otherwise unaware of previously. I am not talking about something rare or unique, just a modern serial numbered autograph buyback type card, less than 50 copies, average skill player (not a star). Not super limited for today's numbered card world. by any means. It was on ebay and had a BIN/BO of around $100. It was ridiculously priced for the player/item and the seller had similar cards from the set all priced this way, but it so happenbed that there was one being auctioned off at the same time with a low opening bid. I tossed out a snipe bid of around $17, thinking this would more than enough to win the item. I was wrong and lost as the underbidder. The next bid below me was $3.99!

I figured it was a fluke so I made what I felt was a reasonable $20 offer on the original BIN/BO listing and it was rejected. I still felt this seller had some crazy expectations and moved on without further attempts. This made me wonder though, so I checked out ended listings of cards signed by the same player and again found $20 to be more than generous compared to other ended listings (most under $10). I even found the exact same card, sold a few weeks earlier, for under $2!

I added a search for this particular card and another one popped up about a week ago. Again, with a small opening bid I waited to snipe it. I upped the bid a bit, around $20, thinking I had to win this one. I checked back in this afternoon to find I was once again the under bidder, missing the card for around $20. This time there was another bid in the $18 range below me, but all other bids were under $10.

WTF!?

I suspect the reason is that this is a card featuring a player in a uniform that was brief for his career, maybe the only card signed featuring him with this team. There can be no other reasonably explanation in my mind! I will wait and see if any more are listed. It is not a must have, but would like one if I can get it for under $20, well under that hopefully.

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is frustrating. I fall into a similar spot as I rundown Tim Wakefield stuff. I find other Sox collectors looking for a nice example of his stuff drive up the price of a few copies which inflates the price on subsequent cards even after the market cools.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Circling back around to share that 2 more of this card showed up recently. I finally won a copy for around $6 and change plus s/h. The 2nd high bidder was the same guy who won the last one at $20+. I know a lot of people buy dupes, but losing two in a row and not even seeing the third one that sold for under $2 had me a little irritated at this person, whoever they are. Thankfully, they were not as interested in copy #2, which allowed me to win it at a third of the price they won theirs for!

There is one more still listed and I may just be "that guy" and try to win it as well. Once this one ends, I will reveal the card, if anyone actually cares to know. I hate to be mysterious, but you just can't broadcast active listings and hope to still win them. You never know who is reading...

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, this card continues to be an interesting subject. I did toss out a snipe bid on one more copy today and lost. It sold for $20 and change. Aside from the first one I was able to find that sold before I became aware (@ $1.75) and the one I nabbed for $6 and change, the rest have sold for close to or more than $20! I bet if I leave them alone and a few more show up, sales may be in the single digits.

Brad Ausmus Archives, featuring him in a Dodgers uniform. I am further convinced, based on other certified Ausmus sales, that this price is all about it being a Dodger card and nothing more.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	274.4 KB 
ID:	95009

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crazy! Can't say I'd pay $20 for that. Glad you nabbed one.
    Scanned cards: https://goo.gl/9QaZll Updated 10/17/2019

2011 Topps Heritage Tints Red - 79/87/Blue - 68/87/Green - 81/87

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
    Well, this card continues to be an interesting subject. I did toss out a snipe bid on one more copy today and lost. It sold for $20 and change. Aside from the first one I was able to find that sold before I became aware (@ $1.75) and the one I nabbed for $6 and change, the rest have sold for close to or more than $20! I bet if I leave them alone and a few more show up, sales may be in the single digits.

Brad Ausmus Archives, featuring him in a Dodgers uniform. I am further convinced, based on other certified Ausmus sales, that this price is all about it being a Dodger card and nothing more.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	274.4 KB 
ID:	95009
    That's exactly the kind of thing I battle with Wakefield, there aren't many other guys the player collect him specifically but for many years he didn't have many certified autos and I got into some crazy bidding wars. Now he has more out there and prices are usually more reasonable.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do remeber when he was in the Archives set. I only ended up getting the 3 different parallels Base, Blue and Red(I don't think he had the peach that year), but it took a while. I think I recall you nabbing the gold 1/1, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by bstanwood View Post
    That's exactly the kind of thing I battle with Wakefield, there aren't many other guys the player collect him specifically but for many years he didn't have many certified autos and I got into some crazy bidding wars. Now he has more out there and prices are usually more reasonable.

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
    I do remeber when he was in the Archives set. I only ended up getting the 3 different parallels Base, Blue and Red(I don't think he had the peach that year), but it took a while. I think I recall you nabbing the gold 1/1, correct?
    I have those three as well, I never saw a peach colored one anywhere and I never saw the gold 1/1 either