User Tag List

Thread: 1992 Donruss Back Variation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1992 Donruss Back Variation

Does anyone know what the 1992 Donruss variation is (shown at the bottom of the picture)? It's like the regular issue (shown at the top), except the background color is a tan/gray and a "Donruss" watermark is featured, diagonally, in a repeating pattern. I figured it must be a factory set card, but am not seeing anything online about that. Thanks for any help you can offer!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20626848_1414224845365602_5477510880789946788_o.jpg  

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you sure the top one doesn't have faint watermarks? I've got a couple like the top but they all have watermarks on them. Only variation I know of are the INC vs INC.
    Mark McGwire Collector
    Current mini set chases:
    1998 Tek Diffractors (need 41 patterns)
    1998 Tek Pre-Production Blue (86)
    1998 Tek Pre-Production Gold (5,8,23,50,59,62,65,77)
    1999 Tek Gold /10 (7A pattern: 24), (7B patterns: 4, 28)
    2014 Tek (Black/White Auto Proof /1) and (any remaining unique buybacks)
    1999 Ultimate Victory Parallels (151, 152)
    1998 Donruss Crusade Purple Samples/Prototypes (two different, See examples here)
    » View Collection: 5600+ unique cards
    » View Full Statistics
    » Need List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not that I could see... Are you proposing that there’s no variation here, but one was just printed darker or something?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the only 1992 Donruss variation I know and the period after inc. And no period after inc
    Reg version is the name is silver. The more rare version is the name is dark gray. Here they are.

https://juangone.com/pictures.php?cardid=96212

Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never noticed that middle name before. Wow! I think that takes the price for oddest middle name I have seen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you saying that the Dark Front Letters, the Inc. (w/ the period), and the darker back w/ “Donruss” watermark all go together as a particular variation? Or, they are independent variations (not featured together necessarily)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah... they even nicknamed Clark’s game face “The Nuschler”. I think it was a family name. Pretty unique!!!

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All cards should have the Donruss watermark but it’s pretty hard to see unless you’ve got it at just the right angle. I wonder if the card on the bottom was exposed to something that discolored the back like a chemical from a cheap card holder, excessive sunlight, or smoke damage or something

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    SCREW PHOTOBUCKET
    Jeff Cirillo Spread Sheet ||
    Hall of Unending Gratitude: dazed, magicpapa, uniquebaseballcards, and the vigilant eye of tonsofcommons

cmcjr99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    several people (myself included) have found a very small handful of various leaf/donruss cards from 1992 and 1993 (and possibly 1991) printed on stock that had no watermarks on the back...as i recall , i had/have a 92 donruss griffey and larry walker plus 3 commons from 1992 leaf ....as for the examples in the op , i'm thinking just dingy (yellowed) stock....
    I collect any and all South Carolina Gamec0cks in any sport including players and coaches .
    Master set projects
    football : 2000 Finest , 2001 Bowman's Best , 2004 Fleer Tradition`, and 2017 Donruss
    baseball : 2002 Topps Chrome and 2007 Topps
    Claude's Desperate Plea for Help After Dad's Death (pay pal pool)

BunchOBull
     BigHurtHOF
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It appears the bottom card has been exposed to a slightly acidic environment and has toned with age. All 1992 Donurss cards I've seen have the watermark, though I have found examples with a darker, more visible watermarks than average. This one looks cool because whatever toned the card failed to tone the ink of the watermark so it's actually lighter. Pretty neat.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a couple hundred mcgwires and thought I found a few of these. There was quite the display of deteriorating stamps from fully bold to virtually unseeable. It took a lot of light but always found the top left corner (in the white space between Mac's name and the blue line) had almost an opaque stamp but nowhere else it was visible at a certain angle (but not anywhere else on the card).

Can you check that?
    Mark McGwire Collector
    Current mini set chases:
    1998 Tek Diffractors (need 41 patterns)
    1998 Tek Pre-Production Blue (86)
    1998 Tek Pre-Production Gold (5,8,23,50,59,62,65,77)
    1999 Tek Gold /10 (7A pattern: 24), (7B patterns: 4, 28)
    2014 Tek (Black/White Auto Proof /1) and (any remaining unique buybacks)
    1999 Ultimate Victory Parallels (151, 152)
    1998 Donruss Crusade Purple Samples/Prototypes (two different, See examples here)
    » View Collection: 5600+ unique cards
    » View Full Statistics
    » Need List