Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Dec Night Crew- Decade Review!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Wow. That's a special kind of ignorant. Maybe they hired Florida Man as their new general manager.

Marlins change their park and bring in the fences 12ft. Pathetic! They trade away their 3 young power hitters to save $$, then realize that HR still need to be inflated. :rolleyes:

....and because they think its 1982, they are also adding artificial turf.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
It seems they want to do concerts and events there, but gave the excuse "growing grass is too hard!" for why the switch to turf. :rolleyes:

Marlins and Jeter hope their actions pass off as "rebuilding" but when you look at the moves its really just "refiltering" (new term!)

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
i have almost ONE MILLION cards many junk years some # , sorted by team and most alpha order . thinning down inventory for Christmas = teams bags for local schools so always sorting

Have you ever misplaced a card and accidentally gave an expensive one away?

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
I heard Black Friday deals were so bad Justin Trudeau didn't even show up. (could someone confirm)

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
Have you ever misplaced a card and accidentally gave an expensive one away?

YES --- i now keep Ebay in house --- this month i've given almost 25,000 cards to kids in the area . 25 to a team bag of misc sports . I do trunk or treat one Ele. school and another low income for Christmas and local rec has a new manager . I aslo sell at local minor league stadium about 25 times a year - will be 19th year this season . Nothing over $5.00 most items are $1.00 . Imagine 3000 kids bused in for a game three times a season . I've coached at three different Rec's - baseball / football . I coached my doctor 1972 / son 2000 / one grandson 2015 . I NEVER played sports except sandlot no rule football -SCARS for that . Did lifeguard and 1970's , taught swimming lessons SINCE then . Every day is a blessing .

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
And speaking of Tek - they changed the set this year. Is anyone irritated by this but me? There are no patterns to chase, just the same pattern with different colored parallels like every other damn set. And those colored parallels are just that - green, blue, white, yada yada. Not even tidals or orbits or galactic sparklies. I mean, yes, it's easier to chase now, but that was the ONE thing that made Tek unique (well two if you count the acetate), and they got rid of it.

Agreed, there wasn't really anyone in the checklist that made me dig into the nuance of it but after seeing some pulls and I looked at it, lame. They might as well call is Topps plastic and call it a day.
PATTERNS ARE WHAT MAKE TOPPS TEK!!!
Perhaps it isn't their best selling line but it certainly bhas it's fan base, why screw with it!? Just make new patters, switch colors, swap out tidals for magma for whatever else but keep the ****ing patterns!
I had a feeling this was coming the year they introduced Bowman tek

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Damn straight. I was hoping someone would give an Amen!

Agreed, there wasn't really anyone in the checklist that made me dig into the nuance of it but after seeing some pulls and I looked at it, lame. They might as well call is Topps plastic and call it a day.
PATTERNS ARE WHAT MAKE TOPPS TEK!!!
Perhaps it isn't their best selling line but it certainly bhas it's fan base, why screw with it!? Just make new patters, switch colors, swap out tidals for magma for whatever else but keep the ****ing patterns!
I had a feeling this was coming the year they introduced Bowman tek

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
hahahahahahahahaha.... Topps Tek doesn't have Tek anymore? :lol: who is running that sht show? Lets see what their future release sheet looks like. . .

Bowman Chrome
Bowman with Chrome (paper)
Topps Tekless
Topps Tekless with Tek
Topps Tekless Chrome
Topps Heritage*
Topps Logoless (gotta compete with those other brands)
Topps Tablecloth (the high roller product)

*they overplayed all the nostalgia without doing anything new so realize that nothing from this era will be nostalgic enough to make a set out of in 10 years when the original run ends

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
hey [MENTION=12279]banjar[/MENTION] I hear there's a new Topps Alomar set in the works: Topps Tekless Tablecloth with Tek. You see, Robbie Alomar wrote his cease and desist letter to Topps on 6 different tables with 37 different tablecloth patterns. :| You better bust out the wallet!!

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Oh, you think yer real funny, dontcha?

:)

hey [MENTION=12279]banjar[/MENTION] I hear there's a new Topps Alomar set in the works: Topps Tekless Tablecloth with Tek. You see, Robbie Alomar wrote his cease and desist letter to Topps on 6 different tables with 37 different tablecloth patterns. :| You better bust out the wallet!!

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Oh, you think yer real funny, dontcha?

:)

Topps has become a parody of itself, I have to get the jokes in quick before the company becomes even worse than now. ;) (else my imagination wont be able to think of something funnier than what they create)

I see Gerrit Cole has a supposed offer of 7years 245mil from the Yanks which would make him richest pitcher ever.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
It always works out well when teams give massive, long term contracts to pitchers coming off career years. With history on their side, I think the Yankees are on the right track!

Last edited:

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
It would be nice if the Angels came over the top with an even bigger offer. (to bankrupt themselves) I could understand this money if Cole had done this level of dominance for 3 years but you're correct, this is a career year by far.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
The Angels. Yes. With Pujols nearing the end of his wildly expensive and wildly unproductive tenure, they need another black hole to keep funneling that cash into. So far they've gotten 13.6 WAR from Pujols for the bargain basement sum of 169 million.

It would be nice if the Angels came over the top with an even bigger offer. (to bankrupt themselves) I could understand this money if Cole had done this level of dominance for 3 years but you're correct, this is a career year by far.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
BTW I saw Ford v. Ferrari tonight. I'm not a massive car guy, but I've seen nearly every car depicted in that movie in person and I thought it was a good watch.

Members online