Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player collector website

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shuedini

Aug 7, 2008
Indiana
Hey guys! I'm slowly getting back into the swing of things as far as my collection goes.

Between being busy with work and a few side projects going on, I've been working on building a website for my Rolen collection. I've been messing around with the Wix site builder and I'm not sure if I want to take the plunge to pay for ad removal and custom domain name just yet.

If you have a free minute and enjoy critiquing others, I'd welcome some feedback on the site. Likes, dislikes, absolute hates or any ideas for improvements would be awesome.

The Rolen Collection

Last edited:

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Really, really sweet. I'm envious.

I love the evolution of the signature section. My player's sig changed over time, so this was fun to see for another player. Great job on explaining with photo examples.

On the card collection pages - I wish they didn't open into new tabs. And when you click "home" on those pages, it only takes you to that specific year's home page. I'd rather it went to the Card Collection main page, as I'd click on that after seeing all the cards for that year and would be ready to view another year. Actually I'd like it if at the top of the page you had links for "Home - (Year) - < Previous Year - Following Year >" so you could quickly keep going through the gallery.

One of my favorite features on player collector sites is when the collector gets personal and includes a page on their favorite cards, or toughest cards, or stories about some of their items. Those types of pages are fun for all. You may consider adding something like that. And maybe a page with a short bio and career statistics for Rolen.

But man, the site looks great - you rocked it.

shuedini

Aug 7, 2008
Indiana
you've always done good art work. Well done.
Thanks!

Really, really sweet. I'm envious.

I love the evolution of the signature section. My player's sig changed over time, so this was fun to see for another player. Great job on explaining with photo examples.

On the card collection pages - I wish they didn't open into new tabs. And when you click "home" on those pages, it only takes you to that specific year's home page. I'd rather it went to the Card Collection main page, as I'd click on that after seeing all the cards for that year and would be ready to view another year. Actually I'd like it if at the top of the page you had links for "Home - (Year) - < Previous Year - Following Year >" so you could quickly keep going through the gallery.

One of my favorite features on player collector sites is when the collector gets personal and includes a page on their favorite cards, or toughest cards, or stories about some of their items. Those types of pages are fun for all. You may consider adding something like that. And maybe a page with a short bio and career statistics for Rolen.

But man, the site looks great - you rocked it.

I have to be honest, I drew inspiration for my site from your site. Yours is very thorough and well laid out.

With regard to the galleries on my page, I'm with you 100%. It seems with the Wix photo albums, options are rather limited. I might have to look into adding my own code for the galleries in order to get them more user friendly. I'll definitely look into that tonight when I get home from work.

I have a bio page for Rolen that I'm working on - it is just hidden right now until I get it finished up. I'm also working on a memorabilia page. I just have to find time to take presentable photographs of all of my different non-card items. I like your idea about a page for favorite cards, tough finds, and personal stories. I've met Scott a handful of times now and I have a really sweet story about him signing a baseball to my son back when he was playing in Toronto.

I appreciate you guys taking the time to check it out! I'll be back soon with some updates.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Thanks!
I have to be honest, I drew inspiration for my site from your site. Yours is very thorough and well laid out.

With regard to the galleries on my page, I'm with you 100%. It seems with the Wix photo albums, options are rather limited. I might have to look into adding my own code for the galleries in order to get them more user friendly. I'll definitely look into that tonight when I get home from work.

I have a bio page for Rolen that I'm working on - it is just hidden right now until I get it finished up. I'm also working on a memorabilia page. I just have to find time to take presentable photographs of all of my different non-card items. I like your idea about a page for favorite cards, tough finds, and personal stories. I've met Scott a handful of times now and I have a really sweet story about him signing a baseball to my son back when he was playing in Toronto.

I appreciate you guys taking the time to check it out! I'll be back soon with some updates.

Good stuff. My site is due for an overhaul, but finding time isn't easy.

Another thing you did absolutely right was scanning both fronts and backs of your cards. Definitely the way to go and at some point you'll be thankful. I didn't do that with MarkGrace.com, but have for my Don Zimmer collection.

You remember the website rolenontheriver.com? Looks like that site is gone now. I need to update the player collector links on markgrace.com. Would you like your site linked?

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Nicely done! I especially like how you did the embedded Google Sheets. I hate having to update multiple lists, I will have to fiddle around with something like that.

shuedini

Aug 7, 2008
Indiana
Good stuff. My site is due for an overhaul, but finding time isn't easy.

Another thing you did absolutely right was scanning both fronts and backs of your cards. Definitely the way to go and at some point you'll be thankful. I didn't do that with MarkGrace.com, but have for my Don Zimmer collection.

You remember the website rolenontheriver.com? Looks like that site is gone now. I need to update the player collector links on markgrace.com. Would you like your site linked?

Scanning both sides of the cards definitely took more time than I had anticipated, but it was worth it. Sometimes the backs of cards are the only thing differentiating certain cards. And a lot of serial numbered cards have the serials on the backs.

I do vaguely remember the rolenontheriver site. Sucks that is not around anymore. Websites are a chore to keep up with, especially if you get out of the hobby for any amount of time. I'd love if you'd link my site on yours. I'll be adding a similar page to my site and I'll link MarkGrace.com there too.

I've started the process of changing the galleries to include more controls like you suggested. I got from 1994 through 1999 finished before I ran out of time...I'll finish the rest soon, probably after Christmas. I also added the profile page and rearranged a couple of pages to fit the navigation bar a little better.

Nicely done! I especially like how you did the embedded Google Sheets. I hate having to update multiple lists, I will have to fiddle around with something like that.

Thanks! I've been using the Google Sheets to track my collection ever since I got back into collecting. It's only viewable on the desktop version of the site for now. It gets cut off on the mobile version, so I'll have to play around with it some more before I can make it go live on phones.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I always say someday for a player website for me, but I know someday will likely never happen. I enjoy looking at other sites though. I'll bookmark yours for future reference.

shuedini

Aug 7, 2008
Indiana
I always say someday for a player website for me, but I know someday will likely never happen. I enjoy looking at other sites though. I'll bookmark yours for future reference.

Wix makes it nice and simple for the most part. You just pick a template and customize it however you'd like. It doesn't take too long to learn or execute. I've only spent a couple hours putting mine together. The most time consuming part is uploading the pictures of all the cards.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Wix makes it nice and simple for the most part. You just pick a template and customize it however you'd like. It doesn't take too long to learn or execute. I've only spent a couple hours putting mine together. The most time consuming part is uploading the pictures of all the cards.

True. That is the part I most dread. Started scanning cards and got to about 1977 or so and just gave up! We need a new scanner and could probably use a new computer. Maybe when that time comes to replace, I will have more motivation.

shuedini

Aug 7, 2008
Indiana
True. That is the part I most dread. Started scanning cards and got to about 1977 or so and just gave up! We need a new scanner and could probably use a new computer. Maybe when that time comes to replace, I will have more motivation.

I need to get a new scanner myself. The one I have won't work with my new computer so I have to use my old laptop and scanner to scan my cards then save them on an external hard drive and transfer them to my new computer. It's a pain, but I'm caught up on my collection now.

I've made a couple changes to the site. I've added a "Friends" page to link to other player collections or baseball card websites. If anyone would like to be added, let me know I'd love to have a nice list of other sites for people to check out.

Members online